Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby mistakened » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Perhaps Tom Kerridge should take "walk ins" only for a couple of weeks. If he advertised that service he would get a lot of takers, despite the expense.

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:26 pm

Nobody is doing walk ins in London Moira, it’s too hard to manage safely with all the anti-Covid precautions, even many pubs and bars are booking only, it really wouldn’t be possible at the moment

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:32 pm

You have to book to walk around the gardens of a stately home at the moment, and they're only letting a specified number in. There's no way any restaurant is doing 'walk in off the street' for the time being. Even pubs you have to book a time slot for a specified number of people to sit in the beer garden

Postby mistakened » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Sorry, different rules here in Cyprus. We can only eat outside, 2 metres apart, no problem at this time of year. Outside is usually covered but the sides open. We are unable to visit our favourite Chinese restaurant as it is inside a hotel. But Melanda Beach is open for fish :)

Moira

Postby Uschi » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:21 pm

herbidacious wrote:Those marigolds, I discovered, are covered in black aphids :( I did think the black aphid plague had abated, but it would seem not. Will spray them at some point. I have some RHS stuff.

Try spraying them with water and a little dishwashing liquid. It will stop them breathing, but won't harm the plants (just don't spray with the sun on full.

(...)

herbidacious wrote:Thanks for that NLB. What made me really angry about it was his approach. He launched straight into “Why are you taking photos. What are you taking photos. Answer ne honestly why you are taking photos. Show me what photos you have taken.” I didn’t know how to answer for a good minute, I was so taken aback. The approach road may have been a private road but it wasn’t obvious, and there we no signs so the aggression was unwarranted and intimidating. He was probably very bored.

I think you are free to snap from public land if you don't snap inside the building, i. e. spying on people. But photographing houses as such is allowed. The only thing that is copyrighted is if they are specifically illuminated like the Eiffel tower at night. You can snap it for free during the day, but if you snap it with the lights on, you would have to pay.

People are really getting paranoid about photography, especially if it is a bigger camera (Snapping with your phone seems to be OK, paradoxically). They try to stop you snapping all and sundry things.
With persons it is a different thing, but even then, there are grey areas. If you snap a square, say, full of people, then it seems to be OK, but not targetting one person specifically.
I was taking pictures of an Art Nouveau facade today when an elderly man asked me if I was photographing his car (I stood in front of it, targetting well above it. He was only using it as a chat-up line and was all bonhommie.

Postby Busybee » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:32 pm

I’ve just come back from a trip to Costco in Leeds.

We had to queue for about 15 minutes to get in as it was a strict one in one out policy, about fifty percent of shoppers were wearing a mask - all staff were wearing full ppe.

Once inside, because they were controlling numbers it felt really quiet, we did our shopping quickly, we came armed with lists, and were back in the car park in under an hour.

I had been quite cautious about going, but was pleasantly surprised at how organised it seemed.

Likewise we ventured out to a local pub at the weekend for drinks in the beer garden, booked a table and time slot. Ordered and paid for drinks via an app and drinks were served at the table. All in all, a very civilised way to enjoy a drink, although I doubt it will feel the same in the depths of winter when you have to chip the ice off the seats
:lol:

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:37 pm

I did a photography course a couple of years ago with Marc Vallee, an independent photojournalist and he reckoned nowhere was completely safe for the casual but serious snapper. The rules about photographing minors have added massively to this problem of course. His rule was if there’s anyone there then always ask but the answer is usually no.

I want to go off to the canals, reservoirs and rivers round here as soon as we are free to do so. I have a new lens for birds but there are a lot of mutterings from the local camera community saying that women on their own should be very careful . . . . :?

Postby Uschi » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:50 pm

In Germany we are required to wear masks in shops and on public transport.
As for pubs and restaurants, one must wear the mask while crossing the room to one's table, then one can take it off. It's the same when leaving or moving about the place for some other reason.

On the whole it works, but some people are getting lax and don't keep their distance anymore. And often it is the elderly or the younger ones who do it. The middle section seems to be fairly resigned to keeping the rules.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:27 pm

Pepper Pig wrote: I have a new lens for birds but there are a lot of mutterings from the local camera community saying that women on their own should be very careful . . . . :?

That's so sad PP. It's so satisfying to go to places like that alone to enjoy wildlife and photography :cry:.

Smitch - :newhuggy. Horrible when you know a situation has run its course but you cant escape there and then.

I went into town as part of my walk this afternoon to go to M&S. I was amazed at the number of people around, too many to feel comfortable but they weren't going to M&S which was almost empty and had no-one on the door :o. The clothes were grottier than ever but I got two out of three undergarments I wanted - three out of three would have been better. It was much warmer out than I'd expected, I wore quite a thick top and was sweltering after my 4 mile walk.

As for the restaurants, paying a decent deposit up front seems a no-brainer on many counts. Hopefully the average person has no idea how to make a 'charge back'. Am I an average person or just a dinosaur? :?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:08 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:
I want to go off to the canals, reservoirs and rivers round here as soon as we are free to do so. I have a new lens for birds but there are a lot of mutterings from the local camera community saying that women on their own should be very careful . . . . :?

Jude, my daughter finds plenty of places to walk and photograph .. Do you know Denham Quarry ? There is also the walk down the canal at Harefield (where the Marina is) in the direction of Uxbridge, where you can cross over at the white bridge, then walk back on other side of the canal with the boating lake on your right. If you follow your nose, you will walk round the back of the Marina and come out at Denham Quarry .. She also walks around Cranford Park, but knows that are very well. Then of course there is the track up to Church Gardens, past the Anzac war graves ...

Edited to add: there is also Denham Country Park .. where you come out onto the canal at the same white bridge, but from the other direction ;)

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:32 pm

All those places Pat but they are not deemed to be safe for a woman on Her own, particularly the less mobile amongst us. All the advice is to have a minder/equipment carrier. And actually that’s the advice to the men too. Solo photography round here puts you at risk of theft.

But there again I am a total wimp.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:All those places Pat but they are not deemed to be safe for a woman on Her own, particularly the less mobile amongst us. All the advice is to have a minder/equipment carrier. And actually that’s the advice to the men too. Solo photography round here puts you at risk of theft.

But there again I am a total wimp.

I don't think that would ever occur to my daughter, but I think she would give as good as she got .. it has been known ;) :roll: :o

Postby dennispc » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:52 pm

Halfateabag, I'd suggest plugging iPhone into MacBook Sometimes software in one won’t talk to the other. Had to do it the other day with iPad.and ancient Mac.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Suffs wrote:You have to book to walk around the gardens of a stately home at the moment, and they're only letting a specified number in. There's no way any restaurant is doing 'walk in off the street' for the time being. Even pubs you have to book a time slot for a specified number of people to sit in the beer garden

I have a slot at Wisley next Saturday, booked three weeks ago.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:48 pm

I's a pity PP. I find the quality of my photography goes down when I have someone (husband!) in tow. I guess the thing to do is find another photographer to go with.

What's the lens?

When I was in Brussels, I was not allowed to take photographs in various places. V annoying. I have started asking to avoid being upset by nasty security guards.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:57 pm

Lockdown here has got serious. Most of the restaurants do delivery and take-away (previously ordered), but otherwise, nowhere is open. I´ve just participated in an " Empanada" (Turnovers) Festival at a local restaurant - on remote - to support the coffee farmers who, apparently, are in a dire situation. Well who isn´t?
There were an average of 140 cases a day , three weeks ago. Two weeks ago, the average was 200. The past week, we´re at 300. the majority of the population here has a stark choice: stay home ( and starve) or go out (and maybe catch the virus). Look at the statistics for Perú, Chile and México: there are now more cases than in the UK, Spain or Italy.
Our hospitals and health care systems are in a shocking state; in fact, I´d almost say in total disarray. And I´m not just talking about Venezuela
Latin America might be viewed as a wonderful, idyllic, new world place to visit, but the poverty is absolutely appalling, with millions and millions of human beings living in dire conditions, ekeing out a living and collecting scraps of food from rubbish bags. Many barely manage one meal a day. Every time I hear British politicians whingeing about "poverty" in the UK, in order to gain a few brownie points in parliament, I just want to slap them and drag them by the hair to one of our slums, and see how they´d manage there for a few weeks.
So take care, folks - Covid is still with us.Enjoy your pint, enjoy your lunch at the local - but wear a mask when out and keep safe!
Me - I´m still at home and I only go out when the food runs out.

Postby scullion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:24 am

are the figures for venezuela accurate on the worldometers site? they seem a little low compared to your neighbour, colombia.

Postby mistakened » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:13 am

Good Morning Campers, hot and sticky here, I shall not be doing anything energetic

Moira :mug:

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:10 am

herbidacious wrote:
What's the lens?

Nothing special to proper photographers I expect but to beginners like me it should help my close-ups! I picked it up on eBay. (For £69).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIKON-AF-S-N ... 1a9b1ffa97

Postby icelesley » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:25 am

Good Morning campers. It's overcast here. OH is going for his first haircut this morning since the lockdown. My appointment is Friday, my last one was 14th February :shock: I am undecided wether to say just tidy it up and let it go grey or hack it all off and do my colour :roll: it has grown past the annoying stuck down the back of my collar, if the virus comes back as is being predicted, I will have to go through the annoying bit again.

The kitchen designer arrived eventually 45 minutes late, I hate people that are late :evil: he said he couldn't find us, mmm, all he had to do was turn right off the industrial estate and drive quarter of a mile in a straight line. Anyway, he has taken measurements and gone to do the design, we should get a call to go and see it.

From a week on Friday everyone has to wear face masks in shops or get a £100 fine, it has been announced.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox