Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:38 pm

mistakened wrote:few months ago a mouse appeared in the sitting room, it seemed to be hiding in the fire place grate. The mouse has disappeared but obviously its scent lingered. One of the cats was investigating the fireplace, disappeared up the chimney, immediately fell down together with a Christmas tree bauble!
How did the Christmas decoration get there? It was mot one of our.

That’s weird - perhaps a child put it up ther

I have been commanded to make a “robust salad” for a BBQ tomorrow, I am pondering. Google so far has turned up lots of protein heavy lunch salads but I’m looking for a side dish, wondering about sweet corn as the shop has some nice stuff but will ponder

Postby scullion » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:44 pm

good morning, all.
sunny. bread baking.
my partner forgot yesterday's loaf - it was more crust than crumb (but ok with some olive oil) by the time it came out of the tube - not burnt but well brown.
i washed (stomped) the duvet in the bath yesterday, with my phone in my pocket (no, that didn't happen) and it registered that i'd done over a thousand steps stomping it through the wash, three rinses and squeezing as much water out as possible before ramming it into the machine for the spin. i factored them into my day's exercise.
the lightweight duvet that is on the bed at the moment was met by a comment of 'does this one need recycling?' it's not often used (mainly on this sort of occasion) and usually with another layer (on his side and which is heading to the machine today), so he hasn't noticed it before.
there may be a request for the normal one to be put back on after it's had another air out on the line. it felt dry when i brought it in but it was in with the dehumidifier overnight so it should be bone dry by tonight.
i noticed that some of the redcurrants that monty picked last night were a little under ripe, mine are in the same sort of state but after the advice of gqt i now leave them on beyond the time they're ready as they don't drop and it gives time to make space in the freezer (i still have half a kilo in there ready for the next batch of strawberry jam). we have eaten all the goosegogs and blackcurrants though - there weren't that many. the redcurrant bush is far more prolific - and in need of another good prune this winter, it's getting a bit unruly.
have a glorious day (afternoon), everyone.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Seems daft to kill the Stone martens ... they eat mice.

I've just written a newsy letter to elderly aunt (do you remember me talking about Slightly Batty Aunty B on Gower) who is now in a care home. I usually send her postcards showing her where we've been, but of course we've not been anywhere and we've run out of our stock of cards that we keep by us, so I've written a proper letter for a change. I know I could phone her ... Bro doesn't understand why I write ... but I remember the way Ma would keep a letter by her for days and refer back to it and show it to people and read them bits out of it, whereas she'd hardly remember a phone call ten minutes after it had happened. People of her generation like letters.

Talking of making space in the freezer Scully ... I tried to get some pork chops out of the freezer for tomorrow but the drawer was wedged by something ... I could only open it a couple of inches ... I had to spend some time kneeling on the concrete garage floor somehow opening bags of gooseberries and extracting them fruit by fruit until I could get the bags out, slide some 'tupperware' boxes of veg curry sideways into the gap and shuffle some other stuff back and forth .... eventually I got the drawer open ... yes!!! :woohoo:
Last edited by Suffs on Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suelle » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:

I have been commanded to make a “robust salad” for a BBQ tomorrow, I am pondering. Google so far has turned up lots of protein heavy lunch salads but I’m looking for a side dish, wondering about sweet corn as the shop has some nice stuff but will ponder

If you think dried fruit and nuts are Ok in a salad, Jamie Oliver made this last night on his new '5-ingredient' series, which I thought looked interesting:

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/ric ... wild-rice/
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Busybee » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Gruney2 wrote:
Edited to say - I wasn't going to say this, but I will. Yesterday was a sad anniversary for me too - I do hope her children will be supported and cared for. Their loss could stay with them for a very long time if it's not handled right.

:newhuggy Gruney, the years roll by, and whilst it may get easier, grief still has the ability to take your breath away.

BB

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Gruney2 wrote:Sad news Grassy - another young life claimed by that damned disease.

Edited to say - I wasn't going to say this, but I will. Yesterday was a sad anniversary for me too - I do hope her children will be supported and cared for. Their loss could stay with them for a very long time if it's not handled right.

:( hugs

Postby oat » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Hugs for Grassy and Gruney

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:14 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Do you know what the series which includes the one about the Fens is called? All I seem to be able to see in TV guides at the moment are repeats of things I didn't want to see the first time round, let alone now. I think they used up all the better things during lockdown.

Someone else may have beat me to it, but it is called The Fens: A Wild Year - and was on BBC2 last night at 9. A bit confusing when you try to catch up though as the main title seems to be A Wild Year. I only know this because I tried to find the Pembrokeshire programme yesterday evening to fill the hour before the Fens one .. not realising that I had already seen it, but still enjoyed it the second time round ;) :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:15 pm

Grassy and Gruney :newhuggy :newhuggy

Thank you all for your good wishes yesterday, headache is definitely a lot better, if still not totally gone. I'm wondering if it was the humidity, which at one point was up to 72%.
Down to 39% now, so have had to put back the humidifier into my violin. 50% is the magic number.

Have a good day, everyone :thumbsup

Postby icelesley » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:54 pm

:newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy Grassy, Gruney and Aero.

Postby mistakened » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:15 pm

halfateabag wrote:. Sadly the pool here is covered and filled with chems. and we cannot use it.
I think that you are about to be initiated into the mysteries of pool maintenance, complete with chemicals, filters, backwash not forgetting fishing frogs out of the pool. WE have never had a pool.
Meanwhile the temperature is 30+ C so the A/C is on.

Moira (drinking water)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:35 pm

Suelle wrote:If you think dried fruit and nuts are Ok in a salad, Jamie Oliver made this last night on his new '5-ingredient' series, which I thought looked interesting:

Thanks
Not terribly keen on either wild rice or chard (or kale) in a salad, the fruit and nuts are fine!
Wondering about watermelon and feta, only enough cheese as a flavouring, not as a major ingredeint but open to other suggestions

Postby Suelle » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:41 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Suelle wrote:If you think dried fruit and nuts are Ok in a salad, Jamie Oliver made this last night on his new '5-ingredient' series, which I thought looked interesting:

Thanks
Not terribly keen on either wild rice or chard (or kale) in a salad, the fruit and nuts are fine!
Wondering about watermelon and feta, only enough cheese as a flavouring, not as a major ingredeint but open to other suggestions

Don't forget that you're not the only one eating it! :lol: I baulk at making pasta salads for these sort of affairs, but others seem to like them. Three bean salad is another old-fashioned but popular choice.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:47 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I have been commanded to make a “robust salad” for a BBQ tomorrow, I am pondering. Google so far has turned up lots of protein heavy lunch salads but I’m looking for a side dish, wondering about sweet corn as the shop has some nice stuff but will ponder

Would a tabbouleh be robust enough?
Or a potato salad, with lots of herbs? We've been making some lovely potato salads recently and they go well with a BBQ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:58 pm

Suelle wrote:Don't forget that you're not the only one eating it! I baulk at making pasta salads for these sort of affairs, but others seem to like them. Three bean salad is another old-fashioned but popular choice.

I wouldn't like the wild rice (and therefore don't have any and don't want to be left with half a pack) and I don't think the guys would be keen on the fruit & nuts, or the chard so probably only P would enjoy it - don't mind making her a salad but ... :D

Three bean is a possible, will look to see which beans I have, might make a version I used to make years ago that includes a little sweetcorn, is looks so pretty the yellow in among the mainly red and pink beans

Potato is a possible, there's always my fall back, Ainsley's noodle doodle

Potato is a possible, or perhaps fattoush, which for some reason I seldom make

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Rachel Roddy did a three bean salad in this week’s Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... lad-recipe

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Red beans, corn, diced tomato and diced green pepper in a vinaigrette always looks pretty and always tastes far better than one expects.

Postby halfateabag » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:29 pm

He washed the car today - early before it got to scorchio ! I did stage 2 of the capers. Then we went to Haraki beach (means horse shoe) very pretty. Stopped at the Osteria for a bevy on the way home. The chap who looks after our villa (Ohh, that feels great to say ) visits and the owner knows him. We lunched on rings of squid, salad and proper Greek pitta (not the English stuff).

Bee eaters were seen on the way home, together with a crested lark.

Visited the local supermarket and purchased a wizzer to make Cafe frappe. His Birthday presssie (on Monday). We will bring it home to use.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Suffs wrote:Seems daft to kill the Stone martens ... they eat mice.

I guess if they are peeing in your loft space and chewing electrical cables, their mouse eating capabilities are eclipsed. Especially when there are plenty of skinny, hungry, semi-feral farms cats around those parts to fulfil that role.
This is also a place where people are allowed to ride roughshod through your property (land, I hasten to add, not house ;) ) without a by or leave for the sake of a (hunt) kill.

That said, I bet our neighbour would let them be, unless they became a terrible nuisance. However I suspect if we wanted to have the bee's nest sorted, someone would just come and kill the lot with no compunction whatsoever. We have pretty much manged to live and let live so far, but did put a deterrent down for the fouine, because the smell in the bedroom was terrible. I quite liked listening to them rearranging their furniture.

I have never seen a fouine, but they look, from photos, to be beautiful creatures. I would love to see one.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:45 pm

A salad with roasted sweet potato? Some carb so a little filling, but not so much as normal potato. Or roast butternutsquash with...?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox