Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Pampy » Wed May 20, 2020 1:14 am

halfateabag wrote:On Sunday I have to try and collect some of his wee and take him back to the vets next Monday for a check up.

I had to do this on a regular basis for one of my gang - I found the easiest way was to put a clean plant pot base under her as soon as she'd squatted. She got used to me doing it and just gave me a dirty look every time!

Postby mistakened » Wed May 20, 2020 7:10 am

Good Morning campers
Pampy wrote: had to do this on a regular basis for one of my gang - I found the easiest way was to put a clean plant pot base under her as soon as she'd squatted. She got used to me doing it and just gave me a dirty look every time!

This forum is an amazing source of information.
Clive: are you able to leave Venezuela?
Very hot again, local social media is full of requests for reliable A/C technicians.
I hear that Capt (now Col) Tom is to be knighted

Moira

Postby halfateabag » Wed May 20, 2020 7:35 am

Oh heck Kool, what a dire set of circumstances, and we thought we had it bad. I do read about Venezuela and think of you and your family...

Thanks Pampy, a good tip, I have just let the tribe out and Wuzzle has had an enormous 'standing up' wee next door !!! :o He will have free reign outside today but I will keep him in on Sunday for the 'collection'. He is absolutely fine in himself - no outward signs of anything wrong. Just glad I know the 'bad' signs...

Bit misty here but the sun is on its way. I have sarnies to make and stuff to warm up for the social distancing get together later. :wino

Postby icelesley » Wed May 20, 2020 8:26 am

Good Morning campers. It's going to be the hottest day of the year today apparently. It is warm now with blue sky and sunshine so fingers crossed :thumbsup car goes in for service today and Frankie is going to have a bath, she is looking daggers when we say the "B" word :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 am

Good morning

Oh dear Clive. That sounds pretty bad.

Today it is sunny and warm, but I have to go into the West End for an eye treatment, it will be odd to see Oxford Circus and Regent Street more or less deserted, when I was a student living near Marble Arch I used occasionally to walk home in the wee small hours when there was nobody around except bin men and the odd drunk rolling out of Soho, but more recently it has been bustling 24/7

Have a good day everyone

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 20, 2020 9:49 am

Morning all! :wave. Glad I'm not planning a walk without shade today then. I've got an attractive streak of sunburn across my nose and cheeks where the sun cream missed yesterday.

Oh Karadekoolaid, so horrific to watch a whole country needlessly disintegrate. Is it customary for individuals with property to collect rain water in tanks in addition to the public supply? What a hugely worrying time, especially when air travel is disrupted. I hope you will keep safe and healthy.

I once had to collect a sample from a cat. The vet suggested a litter tray without much litter in it so that most of the contents could be rescued before being absorbed but it was pretty hopeless. Said cat eventually ended up spending a night at the vets so that they could gather the sample in the way that they do.

Re hidden money in the house. I think you just have to hope that other people don't discover your chosen hiding place and transfer just a little at a time to a purse. Rather difficult if you are immobile though. If you know that an elderly friend or relative has a lot stashed away, do remember to help them if the currency becomes obsolete (such as paper money or 50p pieces). Banks will usually exchange them for a good while after the date and then I think there's a way of applying to the Bank of England if they're years old.

A bit more garden tidying today I think. Just seen the dustmen whizz by, forgot to put the rubbish out last night, thankfully there's not much so it can wait for next week. The chicken bones are in the freezer so that they don't pong.

Hope things are going ok for those and loved ones with health worries today.

Postby Busybee » Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 am

It’s positively hothere already, just back from walking the dog and we are both pretty done in!

We are tentatively thinking about going to the garden centre today, OH will definitely go, I’m wavering. I don’t think that the guidance is particularly clear if you are under 70 with an underlying health condition- are we still in lockdown or allowed our for unlimited exercise?

Actually, I have a parcel coming so I think I’ll stay in and wait for that instead.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 20, 2020 11:08 am

That does sound grim, Clive.

I hope Wuzzle is getting better, halfateabag (hat?)

Re hiding money in books it's me that's doing that, not my mother. I am also hiding it from her (which is not hard as she can't walk.) She needs to not know about the money, as it's for emergencies, and she will use it for non-emergencies if she knows about it.
The carers don't have long to rifle through books and there are two of them there for two out of four daily visits. i.e. casual thieving possible but concerted rifling on a grand scale is not, although I suppose it could be done gradually and systematically. As I said, I won't be hiding the next lot in a book, as she had to get a carer 'who she trusts' to find it. Usually she gets a specific friend (who is definitely trustworthy and a god person) to do it.
Of course, carers aren't the only people who go in the house, normally, but mistrusting everyone is not a good way to live. I am afraid that one of the carers I suspect of food pilfering, though, is one of her favourites. Obviously I have not mentioned this, and don't encourage her to mistrust any of them as she would end up an anxious mess (bad enough as it is).
It was mainly biscuits, coffee and tea that were going missing. She started keeping her biscuits in the sitting room, and then she got rats...
Of course some of this may not be true. My mother's memory is terrible. But I do know that a brand new tin of Azera went missing which my mother doesn't drink. I had bought it for me.

I don’t stash more than £100. And it's my money, not hers, as she rarely remembers to pay me back and I don't remind her.

My father had a lot of out of date notes. We took them to her branch of the HSBC not realizing this. Her face, when they told her... :( They said it was too late to do anything, but I believe you can swap them at the Bank of England even after the deadline for normal banks. I didn't know that then and they didn't mention it. They just took the notes off us, saying they could give us a hundred back?! (Some notes more out of date than others, I guess.) My mother had lost her husband less than two weeks before this bank visit. She was very worried about money, as she was very uncertain of her finances as this point. There must have been over £1000, back in 2010. I still feel quite angry about this.

BB re going out, if you are in the very high risk category, then probably stay in?! It is up to you though, of course. I am not sure that the government guidelines are really a very precise indication of how safe it is.

yes nice and hot already. Some of my plants were drooping by the end of yesterday. The water butt is almost out of water.

I left a couple of tomato plants out last night without any problems. Still need to decide what to do with them. They want potting on quite urgently, but I am not ready to set up the quadgrow system. I suppose I could not use it this year, but they'd still have to go in the pots which are smaller than ones I would use if not sitting on a tank of water. Hmm... I do hate indecision.

I am hoping to do a bit more gardening today on and off. I couldn't get outside yesterday until 5.30 (and then have to phone mother at 6, which takes an hour) as I had an impending zoom meeting which kept getting delayed. Gardening is the only thing that calms me down.

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 20, 2020 11:08 am

Sorry that was such a long post... :?

Postby Pampy » Wed May 20, 2020 11:34 am

herbidacious wrote: I do hate indecision.

Half in two minds about it... :D

No apologies needed for a long post!

Postby Pampy » Wed May 20, 2020 11:36 am

Doves Farm have got the flour and yeast box in stock at the moment https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/products/organic-flour-box

Postby mistakened » Wed May 20, 2020 11:38 am

We have been down into Limassol as we are looking to buy a new car. I do not know if anyone remembers but we were having gear box problems with our Renault Kaptur, it was going to take at least eight weeks for a new gear box to arrive so we bought a Nissan Juke. Neither of us like it, it is cramped and underpowered. We are looking at a VW Tiguane, there are some very good deals at present.
A test drive took us around the Port area, there has been a lot of upgrading and general tidying up down there. I used to take the Jazz to the Honda service centre there, it was semi derelict. It looks so much better, lots of new roads, there is even a little park, that area certainly needed improvement.

WE came back via the Aphrodite Roastery, I bought a chicken to eat cold for supper. I declined the offer of roast potatoes, just had some salad which came free

Moira

Postby scullion » Wed May 20, 2020 11:40 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
i wrote a whole post (which had disappeared by the time i came back in and restarted the laptop) and then had to rescue a baby bunny brought in by a cat. i don't think it will survive very long. it sort of hopped off into the field next door but not very well.
i took a day off from sewing, yesterday and, amongst other things, did a bit of hswk instead, part of which was beating seven bells out of the living room rug (draped over the clothes line) with the handle end of a heavy duty walking stick. quite a work out.
today - i've already watered outside (one water-butt is, yet again, empty), next will be some teddies before the sun gets too far up, making some bread pudding (we have a surplus - my grandmother made really good bread pudding - i wish i had her recipe),
then back to the 'sweat shop'.
coffee is half gone.
have a glorious day, everyone.

Postby Suffs » Wed May 20, 2020 11:48 am

Good morning campers :wave
Disturbed night as shoulder objected to weeding yesterday, so a gentle day supervising the under gardener, potting on the toms and squashes etc and pannéing some chicken breasts are on the list for today ...

Have a good day everyone ... hugs for all in need. :newhuggy

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 20, 2020 12:11 pm

BB - you may have seen me mention that yesterday we went to a sort of smallholding place which also sells many of the kinds of plants found in a garden centre and compost. Funnily enough, it is almost opposite a smallish local family run proper garden centre (I.e. not the Wyevale type). We didn't go to the garden centre as we'd heard it was busy but there weren't many cars outside and I've have heard they are really well organised inside. As you're in a rural area I wonder if there are smaller places like that around which attract fewer people. If you don a mask, carry sanitiser and make sure your debit card is easily accessible for when you get to the till they're the sort of places to go at quiet times of day if you venture out anywhere.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Oh dear, that sounds awful Karadekoolaid. We take so much for granted.
:newhuggy :newhuggy to all who need them

Really, really hot here in our house today, I'm afraid I wilt and find it rather headachey :(

Postby Busybee » Wed May 20, 2020 12:38 pm

We decided against the garden centre, which EM, is a small family run one like you describe, purely because it’s too hot to be planting anything at the moment. Like everyone else all our water butts (except one) are empty.

I’m keeping the one water butt to fill our newly constructed wildlife pond which OH has been busy creating in our front garden. I’ve wanted a pond for ages but we didn’t really have anywhere that wasn’t in the shadow of trees but we had two large conifers taken out in February so OH has been working on a new bed, building a small dry stone wall etc and putting in a pond. It’s nearly finished. I want to attract frogs etc but knowing my luck it will be a drinking station for the rats!

OH was taught dry stone walling when he was at agricultural collage almost forty five years ago, he hasn’t forgotten how - it looks great.

It will be ready for planting in the next few days.

BB

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed May 20, 2020 1:29 pm

There are several small independant garden centres where I live .. even someone selling from their front garden. :o

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed May 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Busybee wrote:We decided against the garden centre, which EM, is a small family run one like you describe, purely because it’s too hot to be planting anything at the moment. Like everyone else all our water butts (except one) are empty.

I’m keeping the one water butt to fill our newly constructed wildlife pond which OH has been busy creating in our front garden. I’ve wanted a pond for ages but we didn’t really have anywhere that wasn’t in the shadow of trees but we had two large conifers taken out in February so OH has been working on a new bed, building a small dry stone wall etc and putting in a pond. It’s nearly finished. I want to attract frogs etc but knowing my luck it will be a drinking station for the rats!

OH was taught dry stone walling when he was at agricultural collage almost forty five years ago, he hasn’t forgotten how - it looks great.

It will be ready for planting in the next few days.

BB

that sounds lovely BB ... can we expect some photos ? ;)

Postby aero280 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm

I ordered some Dove's Farm Vitamin C/Ascorbic Acid from Lakeland yesterday. It wasn't on offer directly from Dove's Farm.

I see that Venezuela are suing the Bank of England to release gold to fight coronavirus. They say it will go directly to the UN and not to the government. But the UN will presumably subcontract things locally. :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52733299

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox