Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 am

Morning all! :wave

It certainly seems a time of worry for many, certainly not helped by the current situation and unhelpful people who are all gloom and doom. Sending love and positive vibes out to all in need and hopes for the best outcomes for all :newhuggy.

Another fine day, I hung out some washing when I got up - it was quite breezy and felt as if it might rain but that's not forecast. I hope not anyway, I'm due for a strictly socially distant walk in fields with GD and her ma.

Spent a long time in the garden pulling up bluebells and weeds yesterday, helped by a neighbour's eager cat who pounced on my fingers each time I pulled anything out of the ground. I was really tired last night, there's still a long way to go before it looks vaguely tidy out there, I don't know how I'd cope with a larger outdoor space.

Ice cream! :yum. That reminds me that I was going to make the salted caramel or coffee recipe someone posted a few weeks ago- but Sainsburys didn't have condensed milk or dulce du leche in stock (perhaps my guardian angel is protecting my figure :lol:).

Postby scullion » Tue May 19, 2020 11:05 am

i meant to add that we had a quick, distanced, chat with our son yesterday. he came to pick some things up on his way to the shops.
as we were sitting on the steps our lazy boy cat came down them, chirruping in the same way that his sister does and fawning in his usual way - when i realised that it wasn't him - he has white tips on two of his toes - they weren't there. we don't think it had an 'empty purse', either.
it was so like him in size and behaviour that we are wondering if she could be a cousin.
interestingly, a couple of years ago, our son said that he had seen lazy boy lying on the steps and had given him a tickle. i pointed out that that was impossible as he was in his usual place on our bed. neither thought the other was right. this seems to have solved the disagreement.

Postby liketocook » Tue May 19, 2020 11:29 am

Good morning everyone,
herbi :newhuggy :newhuggy
Showery here this morning but definitely warmer than of late.
My DIL-to-be was in Lidl yesterday and spotted compost so kindly got me 4 bags, my son will drop them off later. They've promised to get more whenever they are doing their shopping. It's made me irrationally happy to be getting some, although I was resigned to limited gardening efforts this year it's lovely to think that might not be the case. :D
Tesco are due in a bit and by the time I've got it sanitised and stash that will be the morning taken care of!
This afternoon I want to turn a pack of mince into burgers for dinner and the freezer but apart from that I've not much planned. My committee Zoom meeting last night went well and only took 45 mins which was fab and my son had my dinner ready for me afterwards. I could used to this someone cooking for me malarkey :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 19, 2020 11:53 am

You seem to be having a very active social life ltc!

Scully, through a series of unfortunate events we were presented with kittens, who, when grown up greatly resembled a disheveled Tom who lived a couple of streets away. That was 30 years ago but I still see cats in this area with the same look and mannerisms. He was clearly a busy cat!

Postby Uschi » Tue May 19, 2020 11:57 am

Guten Morgen!!!
Herbidacious, fingers crossed. You do have a lot on your plate.

Are you going to stay overnight in the hospital or just for the appointment?

Postby liketocook » Tue May 19, 2020 11:57 am

Earthmaiden wrote:You seem to be having a very active social life ltc!

Scully, through a series of unfortunate events we were presented with kittens, who, when grown up greatly resembled a disheveled Tom who lived a couple of streets away. That was 30 years ago but I still see cats in this area with the same look and mannerisms. He was clearly a busy cat!

If "virtual" counts yep it's buzzing lol.
The irony of being busier, not living alone etc. during lockdown unlike my "normal" life (can someone please remind what looks like :D ) has not escaped me!

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Good morning, another nice day here

Will go for a little walk and bake some falafel later, will also roast some cauliflower to go with them. I have a 1.87 kg monster cauli to use

Morning all, it's setting up to be a corker, and tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter ...

Sue, do you have a t & t recipe for your falafel? We had them last night. DS and GF made them, combining a couple of BBC recipes as we wanted baked ones, not fried ones. They were very good (although not really round, more little heaps of deliciousness) but it all got very late as they didn't really start cooking until after 7. We also had couscous, using the frozen pomegranate seeds that I mentioned on another thread. And hummus. And pittas.

Roast cauli, :yum

Postby mistakened » Tue May 19, 2020 12:29 pm

At last some things are returning to normal, normal for Cyprus that is. We have been heavily locked down, I realised earlier this morning that I had not left the house since Friday. Some restrictions are being lifted on Thursday, I shall be able to get my haircut, hurrah :clap :clap :clap . We are trying get the washing machine serviced, the drum has got unbalanced, the A/C technician will be here on Saturday.
The calendar is no longer completely blank :thumbsup

Moira

Postby aero280 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Nice day here! :)

I'll make some biscuits later, and do some minor repairs around the house. I'd planned to change the headlamp bulbs on OH's car today, but that needs the bumper taking off, but the car is black and too hot to touch!! :o

And a pinch from Facebook to cheer you all up...

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 12.04.01.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 12.04.01.png (341.5 KiB) Viewed 5255 times

Postby nursemimi » Tue May 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Good morning it looks to be a lovely warm day here.
I have a flower bed to weed today and need to run the vacuum.
Hugs to everyone that needs one :newhuggy

Postby Uschi » Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Hi Mimi, I hope that you are well!!! Gardening sounds good at the moment. I am busy on the balcony with various baby and grown up plants.

Postby icelesley » Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Afternoon Campers. The sun has come out :limbobanana :limbobanana I have been busy this morning, vacing, moping, dusting, watering, weeding and getting the car tidy ready to go to the garage for its late service tomorrow. It should have been done in March but they closed the garage due to the virus, now just service is open, so it's booked in. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 19, 2020 1:57 pm

Commercial sweet potato fries have a very thin coating of batter on the outside to make them crisp, I suspect the starch content isn’t enough for them to crisp unaided

Postby nursemimi » Tue May 19, 2020 2:05 pm

Uschi I am well. Thank you! I am enjoying my gardening.
Hope you are keeping well to.

Postby Uschi » Tue May 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Thank you, Axel and I are well and we are together in this, so very privileged. Lockdown is slowly, carefully easing here. We have seen the family for one day and a friend the other day. So far, so good.
We still had FFP3 masks from last year and they give us some security when shopping. I am glad to get out, but I do try and take care as best I can.

Postby Seatallan » Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Just wanted to send a few hugs your way Herbi. So sorry your mother has chosen to play up at the most inopportune moment. Hope you sleep better tonight. :newhuggy :newhuggy

Hello Wildies All! :wave :wave :wave
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pampy » Tue May 19, 2020 2:55 pm

Herbi - just a note of caution about leaving cash at your mum's house. We did this for an elderly aunt with Alzheimer's before we could arrange for her to go into a nursing home. We lived too far away (over 250 miles) to visit very frequently so used to leave cash with her. She also used to go to the Post Office to withdraw from her pension account. Too late, we discovered that tens of thousands of pounds had been stolen from her by a carer (who worked for a social-services commissioned charity). The person also stole gold and diamond jewellery. Although we got the police involved when we discovered the thefts and the person was successfully prosecuted, none of the money or jewellery was recovered.

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 19, 2020 3:14 pm

The cash is very well hidden. She over a thousand books. However next time I won't leave it in a book in my bedroom. Or possibly in a book at all.

My mother has suspected carers of stealing from her purse, and now keeps the cash in her possesion somewhere else.

I am pretty sure someone has stolen food and cleaning stuff in the past. Can't really do anything about it, other than put security cameras in.

What are other elderly self-isolating poeeople doing for cash, I wonder. I have not used any cash since the middle of March, but if you can't use the internet... Because she is housebound in the past I have had to get her a lump sum out (plus some more, to hide) on a monthly basis when I go up there.

(edit. She is Sheffield. I am in South London.)

Postby Busybee » Tue May 19, 2020 4:07 pm

my Mum and Dad are shielding and are getting their shopping either online via my sister who set them up a delivery account with Tesco with Dads credit card details to pay or via my OH who does their local shopping. They just transfer the right money to me, I’m on the make in thin scenario! OH has the expenditure and I get the income.

They have also bought over the phone with their credit cards at the local butchers and fish merchants.

I asked them last week if they needed cash, but as they aren’t going out, and their cleaner isn’t attending they didn’t need any.

The issue of the car is looming though. Dad drives Mum to and from dialysis three times a week, 3.5 miles a week in total, and the petrol tank is getting lowish. He has two Jerry cans in the garage but really the car could do with a run to the petrol station - a 26 mile round journey. I think OH is going to drive it for fuel, and then disinfect the inside.

Nieces car wouldn’t start last week, because it hadn’t been used for a couple of months the ‘black box’ had drained the battery, hence much hilarity in teaching her how to bump start a car. Good skill to have.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue May 19, 2020 4:19 pm

We had the bump start thing on Christmas Day. We had gone to my son's and it wouldn't start to go home. Son has an electric car which is, apparently, unsuitable for bump starting. He knocked on a few neighbours' doors for help.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox