Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby miss mouse » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:20 pm

oat wrote:I'm with Moira :wave:

So am I. Monochrome dreams. Often involving getting lost on the way to somewhere important, it all begins awfully well and I have loads of time then disintegrates. Anxiety dreams.

Isn't my poor little brain sorting itself out in this dreaming thing? Most of the time I don't remember them.

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:47 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Can I have a candle lit, please, for a neighbour?
She fought breast cancer, and thought she'd beaten it, but it has come back and hit her twice more, and it has spread.
She has been in & out of hosp and has had loads of treatment (we even saved her life one day, when it was discovered she had a perforated bowel).
There is nothing more they can do now.
Last night she was taken to hosp with sepsis.

She has 2 teenage kids and she's only in her 30's

It's her B-day in a couple of weeks. TBH I don't think she'll make it that far.

Such a nice person too - and a very good baker.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Grasshopper

She passed away this afternoon.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Pampy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:58 pm

aero280 wrote:I have found that peanut butter is the best bait for mice.

A few years ago, a grey squirrel took up residence in my loft, probably because it was always raiding the birds' "squirrel proof" (ha!) peanut feeder.
I had to get a pest controller to get rid of it. I asked if he could catch it and release it in a local park but he told me that as they're classed as vermin, they have to be humanely killed - he's not allowed to release them once caught. He baited a trap with peanut butter - said it was the very best thing to attract them. He found that Morrisons was the most favoured! When he came back to dispose of it, he said it was the biggest squirrel that he'd seen in over 20 years in the job - no wonder, as it was getting through a full big peanut feeder a day! Poor birds didn't stand a chance against it.

I am a sleep walker and sometimes find that I actually enact a dream as it happens. I was staying at my sister's a few months ago and woke up about 3am pushing hard against the bedroom door, in my mind, to stop the old woman who was trying to get in to do me some unspecified damage. The poor cat who was attempting to get in the room was very confused!

Postby Rainbow » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:36 am

Grasshopper wrote:She passed away this afternoon.

Grasshopper

So sorry to hear that, Grasshopper. A very sad and cruel disease :newhuggy

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:40 am

aero280 wrote:I have found that peanut butter is the best bait for mice.

The bait stations are pre-baited with “mouse pasta” The current batch are Rentokil and contain little bags of blue granules the mice are supposed to love. They enjoyed the previous lot, which were sort of strawberry ice cream pink

I’ve moved it so that I think the entrance to the box might be more appealing, need to remember where I put the rest

Sorry to hear that Grassy

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:48 am

So sorry to hear that news Grassy. So terribly sad. :newhuggy

Postby aero280 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:28 am

Sorry to hear the news of your friends death. Always sad when someone young dies.

Also sad news this afternoon, my sister-in-laws mother died after a long battle with dementia. She was well into her 80's.

Postby aero280 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:32 am

I have also had success with traditional mousetraps. I bought a box of 24 from the local hardware shop and made a line of them across the doorway that they were coming through. We caught 4 the first night and another two the night after. Then we saw no more for years. When one reappeared, I remembered the box of traps and they were successfully paraded again!

Postby mistakened » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:09 am

Good Morning Campers, sorry to read about your friend ., Grassy

We don't have mice, we have feral cats, two of which have succeeded in moving in, they have been neutered. There was a funny event a couple of weeks ago. A few months ago a mouse appeared in the sitting room, it seemed to be hiding in the fire place grate. The mouse has disappeared but obviously its scent lingered. One of the cats was investigating the fireplace, disappeared up the chimney, immediately fell down together with a Christmas tree bauble!
How did the Christmas decoration get there? It was mot one of our.

Moira

Postby halfateabag » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:46 am

Another hottie here! I cooked white beans Greek style yesterday and took a pot down to my new bestie landlady, she was most impressed and gave me 2 aubergines from her garden.

I have finished the pruning of the jasmine that someone else started, the owner is happy. I am on stage 2 of preserving capers/flinders rose today before we head for the beach for a cool down. Sadly the pool here is covered and filled with chems. and we cannot use it.

We have a provisional appt. with the lawyer on Thursday to sort powers of attorney before we leave. We hope it coincides with our trip to the port to catch the boat.

The fridge here makes a noise like one of our cats, it makes us giggle every time we hear it.

Sorry to hear about your friend Grassy.

Postby icelesley » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:28 am

Good Morning campers. The Sun is out and the sky is blue :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana yay!! Also the weeds are waving at me as I look down the garden :twisted: they appear over night, if only the other plants grew so quickly. :roll: so no need to ask what I will doing today :?

Postby dennispc » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Tonight's programme is about the Fens. :thumbsup

Worth a catch up, really good. Water Buffalo!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:53 am

Morning all! :wave. Lovely and sunny, trying to think of somewhere nice out of town to go for a walk which won't be heaving with weekend people.

I should really go and tidy up the garden too. There are more gooseberries and blueberries to pick plus mulberries. Not sure what I'll do with the mulberries this year, they don't taste of much. I might just freeze them and add them to other fruit. I've still got jelly left from last year.

Sad news aero. I was trying to work out why a SIL's mother wouldn't be your wife's mother but if course, it would be a brother's wife. Relationships get complicated sometimes (especially distant cousins!).

Do you know what the series which includes the one about the Fens is called? All I seem to be able to see in TV guides at the moment are repeats of things I didn't want to see the first time round, let alone now. I think they used up all the better things during lockdown.

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:00 am

Sad news Grassy - another young life claimed by that damned disease.

Edited to say - I wasn't going to say this, but I will. Yesterday was a sad anniversary for me too - I do hope her children will be supported and cared for. Their loss could stay with them for a very long time if it's not handled right.
Last edited by Gruney2 on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:25 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Sad news Grassy ... our sympathies to all who loved and cared for her.

EM https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kjrl absolutely blissful ......... I could listen to Toby Jones reading anything ... and the filming was great ... many places we know of course, and those pumpkin fields that we drive past on the way to visit MIL.

It's a lovely morning and the temperature is rising ... sitting here with my :mug: and the doors open to the garden. The dough is proving and the tomato 'paste' has been simmered to an unctuous stickiness with herbs and olive oil etc and whizzed in the whizzer and now it's ready to spread on the bases later for our Saturday supper. The kitchen is tidy, the dishcloth and sink bleached and the floors swept ...

I've had a message from Bro thanking us for his present and the 'card' painting I sent ... he really likes it and is going to frame it :thumbsup It's the first of a new style of work for me, so I'm chuffed about that. I shall head into the studio in a bit .......

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:37 am

Thank you Suffs :thumbsup. I'll look forward to catching up with that.

Gosh, pizza Saturdays come round fast! The painting sounds lovely.

Postby liketocook » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:49 am

Good morning everyone,
Sad news Grassy & aero :newhuggy :newhuggy
It's dull and a bit damp here this morning but I'm hoping the forecast of it perking up this afternoon is correct as we are planning to bbq this evening! My son has requested a "traditional" bbq so burgers, sausages and wings it is. With some salads and bread that should do the six of us just fine. :yum
At least with the restrictions easing we are allowed to decant indoors if it rains :D

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:04 pm

So sorry, Grassy.

An aero too. Very sad.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:16 pm

Sunny here, on and off - a bit cloudy. I woke up very late (what's with all this sleeping?) so still not dressed. We are going to go out for a little drive. I ought to be getting straight on with gardening, but I have a long weekend so I guess I have some leeway.

in France we had fouines (stone martens) in the loft space and, I imagine, mice.

The fouines are a nuisance because they wee up there, and it makes the room below smell. Also I fear they nibble through cables. When they move around, it sounds like someone's moving furniture about. They are quite big. Last time we were there, I think they had gone. You are not supposed to kill them, and I wouldn't. But the locals put poison in eggs for them :o I have only once seen a mouse in the main bit of the house, and I think that came in with the wood. This could change, of course.
Last time we were there, there was a bee's nest in the eaves round the back, and we regularly get frelons - hornets - in the columbage and brickwork round the front :o Not really nasty ones though, but you still don't want to open the windows near them. And then there are the flies and ladybirds... :o We really need to get some sort of insect netting up. WE had it round the back but it's rotted. None round the front. It's not pretty...

Back home it's just the occasional mouse and flies in the house, both of which seem to have abated at the moment. (Touch wood and all that re the flies. The cats scare the mice off.)

I have a friend who lives in a purpose built flat in a Victorian block in Primrose Hill. She was plagued with mice about a month into lockdown, poor thing. Not nice. Especially when your sleeping quarters are not so far from the kitchen, where they mainly appeared. And difficult as getting rid of them relies on the collaboration of neighbours, some of whom may have gone elsewhere for lockdown (it's quite a posh block.)

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:25 pm

Sorry to hear your sad news Grassy. Hugs to all those who need them. :newhuggy :newhuggy

We have the occasional mouse thanks to Ollie, who will let them escape when he brings them home. There was one behind the washing machine for the best part of a week (coming out occasionally to eat Ollie's dinner :D ) but thankfully, Ollie eventually caught it.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox