Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:39 pm

scullion wrote:during lockdown the chocolate delivery has been a bit different, not the regular box. this month, the box of delights also included a small bottle of chocolate gin.
i tried a tiny taste last night. i can't say that the flavour of chocolate is that strong - i may not even have guessed that it was chocolate flavoured. i will have to think carefully about what i mix it with - if i do.

Perfect for Food Dominoes, Scully ;)

Postby liketocook » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:43 pm

Good morning everyone,
Glad the door is secure herbi :D
I've had chocolate gin once and wasn't impressed, but the chocolate port I was given one Christmas was lovely. :wino
Growing up in Ayr, pubs near the harbour had a special licence allowing them to open at 6am supposedly for the fishermen who would dock about then but used by lots of nightshift workers for a quick pint. It only applied on days when the boats docked. Now the fish market is Troon I'm not sure if it still applies.
It's another dreich day in a brief dry moment I nipped to the wheelie bin and watered the greenhouse. Unless the weather improves I don't think I'll be back out today.

Postby scullion » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:21 pm

liketocook wrote: the chocolate port I was given one Christmas was lovely.

i possibly have some of that - rubis, from aldi? very nice. i bought a couple of bottles after christmas when it was reduced.
i had a go at making some with the base of the 'feuille de peche' that i make but using cocoa nibs instead of peach leaves. it was quite good.

Postby scullion » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:01 pm

my partner has bought my attention to this property which was first sold a couple of years ago.
the buyers (who, by planning applications seem to come from the newcastle area) obviously hadn't done their homework and possibly bought it speculatively (through an agent based in essex) maybe even sight unseen, who knows‽‽
the whole valley is a world heritage site.
the planning application was, of course, refused as was the appeal. one of the writers in the comments section has likened it to having a satellite dish and washing line fixed up at stonehenge.
if you read the description a rather dismissive sounding comment about the refusal has been written. anybody with any sense will go straight to the planning application to read the documentation and see for themselves why it was refused. i'm not sure the current owners will ever re-coup their investment and may possibly have to pay for it's upkeep - unless they hand it over to a more appropriate historical organisation.
i would really do my homework rather than just trusting an estate agent!

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:08 pm

Ladies ... do you remember my dream about a certain item of yellow ‘clothing’ ? A couple of days later the Bravissimo catalogue arrived with just such an item (spooky or what?) ... so, I ordered one yesterday, it arrived today and it’s rather gorgeous, wonderfully comfortable and not a wire anywhere. Bliss :woohoo:

Postby mistakened » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:43 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Moira, has Johnson senior's trip to his villa in Greece made it onto the news there?
Yes, it was there yesterday, together with news of local establishments fined for ignoring the anti Covid rules

We have given in and turned on the A/C, it is set at 26 C, an efficient temperature. The inside temperature was 33 C at 4 30 pm

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:10 pm

The interior of my car is clean at last! I had a lovely walk round a local lake with DS and GD too.

Synchronicity Suffs! Is it as dazzling as your original description suggested?

The planning application is fascinating. I couldn't open all of it but think it suggests that it is the third time it has been presented with no alterations :roll:. With the described reasons for refusal, it's hard to imagine what you could do with it but presumably there's a requirement to keep the building in the condition it is currently in regardless - sounds like something one would steer well clear of!

I have just met the nuisance woman from down the road taking the new dog for a walk.I thought it was a small dog but it is a chocolate coloured labrador and only 4 months old. It seemed huge already. Our houses and gardens are very small .. :evil:.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:36 pm

EM it’s so gorgeous they’ve asked me to model it for them ... you can see me here https://www.bravissimo.com/
You can see how it enhances my appearance ;)

Postby ChinchillaLady » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:44 pm

Very nice Suffs, if you look at the pics of last years EA picnic in your garden I am wearing a shawl very similar to the one you described in your dream, want a lennie? :lol: :lol:

Postby scullion » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:24 pm

i thought i recognised you!

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:41 pm

Go on, be honest Scully, it’s the gardening tan and the Lockdown hairdo that made you doubt whether it was me wasn’t it? ;)

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:42 pm

ChinchillaLady wrote:Very nice Suffs, if you look at the pics of last years EA picnic in your garden I am wearing a shawl very similar to the one you described in your dream, want a lennie? :lol: :lol:

We could probably share :newhuggy

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:07 pm

Not going to the pub - Wetherspoons is busy and some of the others are open. The only time I've been in a pub at 6 am was at uni, we used to go to the Smithfield pubs at the end of all-nighters, Oh, and at airports, as they used to be the best place at Gatwick for a hot breakfast

I did go to the farmer's market but didn't buy anything - there was a short queue to get in, then a long queue for the one stall that had good supplies of veg & salad - or allegedly had them, as there was no way of knowing what was available until you had spent 20 minutes in the queue from which you could see nothing, and I wasn't that keen to be honest

Better do something useful I suppose, have been looking at possible European holidays

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:30 pm

Very nice Suffs, it's transformed you. I hope they're paying you well.

This afternoon a small aeroplane flew over the town with a banner declaring that drinks were free for ladies tonight at a certain pub. Local Facebook went mad saying how irresponsible such marketing was in these times, not to mention dated. The pub has published a disclaimer saying it was nothing to do with them and that they are following all guidelines and have a booking system in place anyway. I know it's not really funny but the prank was almost worth it to read people's reactions. I imagine it would be relatively easy to trace those responsible.

I don't bother with Saturday shopping now. Most of the shops are empty on weekday afternoons but heaving on Saturdays so those who are not living lives of leisure can queue without me.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:09 pm

Lovely, Suffs, as EM says, I hope they're paying you well :D

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Precisely as I recall you, Suffs - if you remember, you took some convincing I wasn't George Clooney.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:22 pm

I remember it well Gruney, you Silver Fox :wino

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:57 pm

Ha ha.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:16 am

Kalimera - we have just entered Greece this evening but not without a LOT of trouble. We were told that now we are not in the EU we could not come in. They told us to contact the British embassy in Sofia. We tried 4 times nuffin puffin..... We decided to walk back to the border box and try one last time and quote them the info on a website we had found - Politico.eu which quoted that we were in transition until October and all rules remained the same. The border guard listened to us and finally called his boss who confirmed what we had said and they waved us through !!!!

Last night stayed in Baille Herculaeum in Romania, Fantastic hotel overlooking a river in a gorge with a huge mountainous backdrop. A full moon rose over the mountain - a real Dracula moment.

Sue, who is Stanely Johnson? Thanks Sea for your wishes and you Moira.

We are taking it a bit easier tomorrow as the ferry From Piraeus to Rhodes does not go until Monday at 6pm arriving Rhodes 9.30am - might even manage a paddle in some sea somewhere.

Kala Nita

Postby Pampy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 am

Stanley Johnson is the father of Boris Johnson.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox