Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:51 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
KC2, I feel so sorry for you! I hope all the gremlins can be eradicated :newhuggy.

Thanks EM! Stage One success, the adapters work, phew ...

The mouse functions perfectly ... :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Another childhood migraine sufferer here. I used to get really debilitating attacks that would put me out of action for days on end. Even now, probably 50 years after the last attack, I can remember just how painful they were so I really sympathise Smitch. Hope you'll be feeling better soon. :newhuggy

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:39 pm

I had migraines as a young adult, lost them, then had a few when initially menopausal
They’ve gone again thank heavens

Postby mistakened » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:41 pm

Hurrah, if you are returning from Cyprus to the UK, the British government will no longer require you to self isolate. I bet the air fares are going up as I type. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Moira

Postby miss mouse » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 pm

Sympathy Smitch. What a trial all round for you.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:12 pm

Did I imagine it or did they really say on the Ch 4 news that pubs will open at 6 am tomorrow?? 6AM??? :?
Maybe I just wasn't concentrating and they said 6 pm ... :lol:

Postby Kacey » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:16 pm

You're right, they said 6am, i think i need another few weeks rather than hours

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:33 pm

yup, just saw this on the Guardian website https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... nment-says

"In response to concerns that the reopening of hospitality and entertainment premises for the first time since 20 March would encourage irresponsible behaviour, the prime minister’s spokesperson told journalists: “The reopening of pubs and bars specifically comes into force at 6am. That would just be in the event anybody would attempt to try to open at midnight.”"

Well, that makes a bit more sense :D

Postby oat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:40 pm

You have my sympathy Smitch, hope the Sumatriptan works for you they worked for me but i was taking more then was good for me just to get through the day. I was put on Propranalol as a preventative and they work to a degree. Hope you are O.K

Postby smitch » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:25 pm

Brewdog were planning to have a ticketed party for their ‘investors’ at 12.01 but had to cancel. Most of the places we go to are not planning to open for a while yet. Since we don’t live in walking distance to a decent pub, we’ll be drinking at home.

Oat, my GP suggested propanalol as an alternative if the sumatriptan isn’t enough. Hopefully it is only for the next couple of months until the prostap has left my system. I did tell the doctors I had hormone related migraines in the past but was told to try it anyway :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:12 pm

I doubt that very many pubs are licensed for 6am and some aren't opening tomorrow so that narrows it down a little. It seems you've got to book to go to a pub and sit at a table and be waited on. Pubs could get very civilised at that rate!

Smitch :newhuggy. Dreadful for you to have to suffer like that when it's due to medication and the alternative is worse. I hope something that does the trick without side effects can be found - a tough one.

KeenCook2 wrote:Thanks EM! Stage One success, the adapters work, phew ...

Oh well, that's a start!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:17 am

Pubs are very varied in their opening strategies

If I were going to one, Brewdog would be high on my list, I saw the founder on tv and thought he made sense. Wetherspoons bottom, many people think lobbying by Tim Martin has something to do with tomorrow’s reopening, I met him nearly 40 years ago and didn’t dislike him, but you can go off people. Won’t get into a local independent without a booking, some pubs are only accepting Eventbrite bookings so they have the numbers and contact details for track and trace

Postby mistakened » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:56 am

Good Morning Campers, the reopening of bars etc here in Cyprus was reasonably civilized, the police kept an eye on overcrowded bars, large fines were issued and still are being given out. One of the advantages is that there is no pub culture here. This also means no pub lunches.

Moira

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:11 am

Good morning campers :D :mug:
Dull, damp and breezy here ... not a gardening day and the umbrella had been taken in from the terrace :roll:
Not really the weather for enjoying pub gardens ...
Today I will be making more sourdough pizzas ... OH has become accustomed to ‘if it’s Saturday it must be pizza’ :lol:

Postby icelesley » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:23 am

Good Morning campers. It's overcast and breezy here too. Good news is at the end of our (next door neighbour and myself) diet week 4, I have lost a total of 7 1/4 lbs :limbobanana :limbobanana :clap :clap downside is she has given up already as she has the green light to go on holiday on Tuesday so I guess I win in a way. Oh well I will keep up the good work anyway :thumbsup OH said that saves him stumping up for a bottle of champagne as we didn't both complete the 6 week challenge :cry:

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:20 am

Morning. Same weather here as elsewhere by the sound of it. It was very windy last night though. I ought to go out and check if anything's been knocked over. Will have to chase Lily out tf the stiting room first as the cats are locked in.

Off to mother's shortly :o

Someone came and 'secured' the back door yesterday aka nailing a piece of thin plywood across the bottom. He did cut a hole out for the cat flap though :) And we now have bolts in the kitchen door.

I have never had a social life based around a pub but usually ate lunch in one at the weekend at least once. One of the things lockdown as made me do is reassess this. I already knew that going out for lunch at the weekend probably has more cons than pros. The food is frequently not great, it was fiendishly hard to get a table so you need to book ahead (even for not so good places) it takes up a disproportionately (considering what it is) large chunk of the day.
The main plus side was that it was the only time husband and I sat down and had proper conversations, or so it felt. We are too easily distracted by computers in the house.

In the future, probably the not quite distant future, I am aiming to only go out occasionally and then go somewhere really nice.

Right I need to go and give Basil his meds.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:47 am

Morning all! :wave

Nice result icey. If you continue when your neighbour returns from hols you'll have a real head start!

Herbi- great news re the door. Hope you will find a little break much nicer than you hoped. I think that to go out to lunch if the pub is nice is sheer heaven. Ambience, company, food and no washing up. I look forward to a time we can do it again with confidence. I used to think it would be nice to be part of a couple who spent a lot of time in a pub where they knew everyone and that it would create a great social life. Then it happened, the adage, 'be careful what you wish for' was never more apt!

No surprises if I tell you it's a dull day here. I had planned (yet again) to go over to DS's and clean out my car. However, DHL advise that something I ordered ages ago will come today and that I will receive an email with an hour window of the arrival time. No email yet :evil:.

Saturday pizza - :yum

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:25 pm

Morning all :wave

Glad the door is secure Herbi.

Our two local pubs (one in our village and the other in adjacent village) both reopen today though not until this afternoon. We shall pop down to the village pub for a late afternoon drink. We don't have to book if we're just having a drink in the beer garden though the pub in adjacent village does have a booking system (we've already booked in for an early evening drink tomorrow :D ).

It's just lovely to be able to patronise local establishments again. Being a rural community, it feels 'safe' somehow. I don't know if I'd feel so happy about using a large inner-city pub but I suppose that's not logical really.

Hair appointment next Friday! :D :D :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Morning! Dull, overcast and muggy here ...
OH heard on LBC this morning that roads to the West country are already crowded :evil:

Icey :clap :clap

Herbi :newhuggy good luck with your expedition to your mother's and glad the door is more secure and there's a cat access route!

Moira, has Johnson senior's trip to his villa in Greece made it onto the news there?

EM, hope your delivery arrives soon ....

Suffs, mind if we join you for pizza :hi5:

Sea, hope the weather is nice enough for you to pop out to the pub garden ...

Nothing planned for today although I feel the need for a spot of baking ... :lol:

Have a good day, everyone :thumbsup

Postby scullion » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:34 pm

good morning, all.
damp and dreary. the sort of day you want to watch a sunny film.
during lockdown the chocolate delivery has been a bit different, not the regular box. this month, the box of delights also included a small bottle of chocolate gin.
i tried a tiny taste last night. i can't say that the flavour of chocolate is that strong - i may not even have guessed that it was chocolate flavoured. i will have to think carefully about what i mix it with - if i do.

as we rarely go to the pub i doubt it will be on our to do list pre-vaxine. there are a number of things that seem sensible to be a bit cautious about - especially if we are due an influx of 'visitors'.
i hope your maternal visit isn't too traumatic, herbi.
have a good day, everyone.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox