Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 21, 2020 11:58 am

ah yes, I had not thooght about toilets. It takes about 6 hours to get to our house. I suppose normally we would stop somewhere to eat if we are doing the tunnel, and go there. Husband would be ok...

Postby mistakened » Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 pm

herbidacious wrote:Morning Glories are hardened off so need to pot them up too

That made me laugh, Morning Glories are rampant here, We drove past a splendid "hedge" of them yesterday, actually it was a rusty fence covered with the things
Very brisk breeze this morning, with luck it presages the promised drop in temperature. The Cyprus Electrical Company, there is only one, is worried that their generators can cope with demand , they were not expecting everone to use their A/C so early in the year

We had a melon yesterday which totally flavourless, very unusual as they are locally field grown. The watermelon has installed his truck in its usual place by the little, restored church, his enterprise is called Ayia Marina Melons after the church.

moira

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Morning all, lots to catch up on as had a headache yesterday and stayed away from my laptop.

Sorry about rough night Suffs, we changed to our summer quilt last night but have kept our winter one out and covered in case we need it. Boiling hot already, over 30 degrees in our dining room/kitchen end of our one large room downstairs, and it's only 11.30! Where have the promised thunderstorms gone!! And that's with a fan on since 9.30 on the piano in the middle of the room .....
Glad about your haircut Moira!
Hope all feeling poorly, with poorly family and pets ok .... :newhuggy

We got our second government food box yesterday. Fortunately this time there was some explanation and instructions on how to cancel it if you don't need it and still be able to keep your supermarket priority delivery slots.

We're going to donate the food we don't need either to the local volunteer group as I think they have a van to pick it up, or DS will take it to the local Tesco where they have a box for food bank donations.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 21, 2020 1:03 pm

I must go for my walk - and try not to be attacked by the huge flock of seagulls which has arrived on the rooftops. Perhaps they've flown 60 miles to try to get away from the crowds at the seaside!

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I must go for my walk - and try not to be attacked by the huge flock of seagulls which has arrived on the rooftops. Perhaps they've flown 60 miles to try to get away from the crowds at the seaside!

:lol: :lol:

Postby liketocook » Thu May 21, 2020 1:17 pm

herbidacious wrote:ah yes, I had not thooght about toilets. It takes about 6 hours to get to our house. I suppose normally we would stop somewhere to eat if we are doing the tunnel, and go there. Husband would be ok...

When my son and his fiancée were moving up here last week they knew they would need toilet breaks etc. . They took two bottles one filled with soapy water and one with just water. After using services when they got back to the car they washed their hands then applied a good amount of hand sanitiser.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Good morning
Had a tiring but useful day yesterday

When I got up there were some big bags of universal potting compost in the yard, A had taken them in for the florist shop downstairs so I went down after she was in and she had kept one for me

Went on the bus to Oxford Circus, and walked around a bit in the brilliant sunshine, watched the scaffolding come down from the restored facade of the Palladium, then realised that the Waitrose in the basement of John Lewis was open with no queue so nipped in on my way to my clinic appointment and got a few things that are scarce locally. Then got the bus back

Buses weren’t crowded but distinct lack of face coverings, I caught the 73 for its entire
route, which is now very short and only takes an hour in the absence of traffic. Getting on at the start helped me get a good seat for distancing.

Better get out and use that potting compost

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 21, 2020 3:27 pm

mistakened wrote:
herbidacious wrote:Morning Glories are hardened off so need to pot them up too

That made me laugh, Morning Glories are rampant here, We drove past a splendid "hedge" of them yesterday, actually it was a rusty fence covered with the things

moira

Do you have the lovely coloured ones? They have gorgeous violet-coloured ones growing wild in Lisbon:

49919770597_052f133b2f_c.jpg

49919472256_d56a406de3_c.jpg

I don't think that the cultivated ones go quite so rampant, but putting them in pots anyway just in case.
I spent half an hour disentwining the young plants and have planted half of them in a pot with an obelisk over it.

The other half will go out the front, and if they oblige, maybe trail over the tiny (ailing) boxy hedge that grows in the wall, along with campanula which has self seeded.

If they flower, there should be purple ones and blue ones.

I suppose very many of our cultivated flowers in England grow in the wild in many parts of the world.

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 21, 2020 3:30 pm

liketocook wrote: When my son and his fiancée were moving up here last week they knew they would need toilet breaks etc. . They took two bottles one filled with soapy water and one with just water. After using services when they got back to the car they washed their hands then applied a good amount of hand sanitiser.

That's as much as one can do. I was just wondering if there would be any toilets, as we usually stop off at a cafe in a town. But I suppose service stations... enough to make you use hand santizzier anyway at the best of times (and I do).

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 4:24 pm

My dad used to grow morning glory “Heavenly Blue” up the south face of our white house in the early 60s when they weren’t well known in the UK and people used to ask what it was

Postby mistakened » Thu May 21, 2020 4:36 pm

herbidacious wrote:Do you have the lovely coloured ones? They have gorgeous violet-coloured ones growing wild in Lisbon:
Yes, exactly like that. They are of course a bindweed so almost indestructible.

We are a sort of Coronation Chicken for supper. I write "sort of" because I can make the proper sauce from scratch because it is too hot to be cooking out curry powder. I compromised by mixing mayonnaise and yoghurt, adding Garam Masala and Spiced Apricot Chutney, it tastes OK

Moira

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 21, 2020 5:47 pm

But very lovely, at least. English white ones are boring. and a massive pain in my garden. They don't get to flower though.

I am growing Heavenly Blue, Sue. Your day in town sounds pleasant. I'd love to be able to walk around town. A friend lives in Primrose Hill and walked to Marylebone High St. the other day. Midn you Primrose Hill sounds rather nice.

I used to get the 73 all the way to Tottenham... a long time ago now.

Just had an office room soical Zoom meeting. I twas nice to see everyone again.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 pm

In the summer of ‘75 I lived on Oxford Street and on Sundays the 73 ran all the way from Tottenham to Richmond, so we went to Richmond

It ran Tottenham to Victoria until quite recently

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:24 pm

Did the 73 go to Richmond via Sheen? I'm sure I used to get it sometimes from the Royal College of Music at the stop outside the Albert Hall to Sheen when I was living there for a bit in the '70s.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 7:28 pm

Probably via Sheen, but I don’t particularly remember

I find it slightly annoying that it no longer ru s the entire length of Oxford Street, let alone going as far as Knightsbridge, but pre-lockdown I could catch the vastly improved overground, changing to the tube when needed, so buses weren’t a big issue for me

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 21, 2020 8:15 pm

How lovely to walk round a semi-deserted London! It sounds great. Maybe venture out a bit more before it gets stupidly busy again?

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 21, 2020 9:40 pm

I had a really nice wildlife moment earlier when watering the plants. A little bird hopped onto the bush next to me, then progressiveley nearer and nearer, obviously eyeing me up with a robin-like interest and temerity. I am pretty sure it was a dunnock, looking at pictures now.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:How lovely to walk round a semi-deserted London! It sounds great. Maybe venture out a bit more before it gets stupidly busy again?

There are some pics on my FB

The problem is, using public transport to get there, I’m quite jealous of a couple of people I follow on Instagram who cycle to currently deserted corners of London and take amazing pictures

Tonight and last night there have been little groups of adolescents on the street screaming and whooping, normal on a long hot evening but not really lockdown or distancing

Postby Suffs » Thu May 21, 2020 11:24 pm

Love dunnocks ... we have a pair spending a lot of time in this garden at the moment.

Night night all ... sleep tight.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Gosh there are some strong winds forecast in some parts tomorrow :o.

I thought I heard one of our illustrious leaders say that people were to wear masks on public transport now that more are travelling to work, that they would not be allowed to board without and that fewer people would be allowed to board. What Sue has said in London was echoed by my neighbour here, a care home worker (where they have finally got the PPE they need :roll:), whose bus home for the past few days has coincided with a large factory home time. The driver yesterday told her the double-decker bus was 'a bit full' as she got on but she hadn't realised that he meant passengers were standing squashed against each other upstairs as well as downstairs and she had to lean over the stairs to avoid people. No-one was wearing a mask. She has managed to change her working hours slightly to avoid the worst.

The Dunnocks sound a delight.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox