Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:00 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Eine Kleine is a string composition.. Not sure why they’re playing it on the flute unless they are in a bubble with a diverse group of musicians. I suppose that’s likely. It’s probably my most hated Mozart piece and there are very few. I think I did it for O level.

Yes, PP. I don't suppose they could muster a full chamber ensemble... ;) It sounded like there was a bassoon involved too. (Was wondering if they would do Ivor the Engine music for an encore.)

A hackneyed classic, perhaps, but far far better than top volume R&B (imo).

I am not a Mozart fan full stop, but lovely to hear live classical music in the garden, whatever it is. (Although that said, thank goodness there's no harpsichord involved.)

Postby icelesley » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:58 pm

Good Evening Campers. I think I might be having a new kitchen :limbobanana :limbobanana :limbobanana The one I have is 35 years old :o A couple of handles came off in my hand and a couple of shelves have collapsed over the last year so I think it might be time to bite the bullet and replace it completely. Arggggggggggggg what a thought, do we just change what we have , do we extend into the utility room next door which honestly apart from the loo is a waste of space, no room for the washer, just the loo and a butlers sink, which is useful when we are in the garden, but really a waste of space which the kitchen would benefit from. I am not rushing into it, it will be next year if we do it. I am considering changing over from gas to electric, (apparently we need to do away with gas to save the planet.) :roll: with a double built in oven and induction hob. Oh, there is so much to think about, this may take some time. Any suggestions from you guys would be very helpful. :thumbsup I trust you with my life....almost. :D :lol: :lol:

Postby smitch » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:09 pm

I love my induction hob. You’ll have to check if your existing pans are suitable though, you might have to replace them. Very exciting though!

I might be going back to uni in September :shock: Just had a sort of offer for a course I really want to do. Will be weird being on the other side again, am feeling rather nervous. I’ll also have to juggle work and studies for a month until my severance agreement kicks in.

Don’t want to get ahead of myself though, will wait and see how things pan out

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:20 pm

Fingers crossed smitch. :crossed :crossed :crossed

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:29 pm

Ooh icey and smitch real news

I think after 35 years you deserve a new kitchen, I want an induction hob next time

Can you say what you’d be studying smitch? Sounds good

I had a good afternoon, was building up to An Argument with my bestie via email, so had email turned off. She called me, she’d done some digging and admitted I was right :o :klingonbanana

She doesn’t do that :lol:

I’m shattered, no post-viral fatigue as such but my muscles are complaining bitterly about getting up to about 50% normal activity. Slowly, slowly

Postby icelesley » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:36 pm

Smitch :newhuggy :newhuggy :newhuggy don't be sad darling, we are all here to cheer you up, :crossed :crossed Sue take care. :newhuggy

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:03 pm

Congratulations on teh offer, Smitch!

Icey I think we are going to need to get a new ktichen too. As well as the wall unit falling off, the frames of the base units are coming away. I want to take my time too. I want to be able to go and look at things for a start, so it will have to wait. Will be interested to hear of your experiences, as I suspect you will get there long before us.
If I am less enthused than you it's because we are very limited in what we can do regarding layout design. I think we are pretty much stuck with what we've got. I might ask the door guy to have a look at it. He coudl do us a custom one, he says.

A dedicated spice cupboard would be nice... Maybe one that opens up with space in the doors, like a tryptich...

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:15 pm

From personal experience - when you buy a new kitchen you will be offered design assistance. An amazing number of people turn this down - don’t- they know what their ranges can do, but feel free to alter their suggestions

If I hadn’t had my kitchen designer (included in the cost) I wouldn’t have the brilliantly designed corner that houses the microwave and all the pots and pans in the eaves. If I hadn’t argued, I wouldn’t have had enough drawers, it’s not a binary either or. A fresh pair of eyes sees things you don’t

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:24 pm

Can I have a candle lit, please, for a neighbour?
She fought breast cancer, and thought she'd beaten it, but it has come back and hit her twice more, and it has spread.
She has been in & out of hosp and has had loads of treatment (we even saved her life one day, when it was discovered she had a perforated bowel).
There is nothing more they can do now.
Last night she was taken to hosp with sepsis.

She has 2 teenage kids and she's only in her 30's

It's her B-day in a couple of weeks. TBH I don't think she'll make it that far.

Such a nice person too - and a very good baker.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Suffs » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:36 pm

So sorry to hear that Grassy. My thoughts are with your friend and all who love and care for her.

Night night all. Sleep tight

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:04 am

I modernised my whole house, including the kitchen, a few years ago. I had the kitchen completely re-designed and am really glad that I got ideas from a couple of companies who quoted for the work. I splashed out on it rather more than I first intended - granite working surfaces, Neff cooking appliances, as much as possible built in etc - but I'm glad I did. If you go for pyrolytic ovens, they'll need heavy duty wiring - a friend of a friend didn't have this done and ended up with her kitchen on fire!

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:46 am

Pepperpig: I agree with you on Eine Kleine... WAYY too hackneyed and not one of Mozart´s best works. A bit like Für Elise, the 1812 ( I utterly abhor Tchaikowsky), Pachelbel´s canon, the Hallelujah Chorus and the 4 seasons.
I suppose the culinary equivalent would be Caesar Salad, Spag Bol, Tikka Masala, Chilli con Carne and Chop Suey. :gonzo :gonzo

An amusing anecdote, for what it´s worth. I was attending a Latin American Management conference in Cuernavaca, México, in 1999. One of the special events was a "Teamworking" seminar, which involved a management guru and his string octet. Obviously, octets, quartets, orchestras, bands, etc. are fine examples of working as a team, but his emphasis was on leadership ( in this case, the first violin). He carefully explained all the details and then they played Eine kleine - and the 4 seasons; very well indeed.
Then he moved on to "leadership" and took up a baton. He invited the audience to come and have a go, which several did. Of course, any time they stopped waving the baton, the octet stopped, any time they slowed down, the octet slowed down... a lot of fun.
Finally, the regional VP stood up and said" and now Clive is going to take the baton" :crying1 :crying1
Comeback time, because even though I hadn´t been near a choir/orchestra since the 70s, it´s something you don´t forget! My London music degree had finally served for something.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:05 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby mistakened » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:30 am

Good Morning Campers, we were off line for at least thirty hours. The major suspect is the electricity company as they are digging up the main road
karadekoolaid wrote: I utterly abhor Tchaikowsky),

How very dare you, although I agree about the 1812

I saw some slender young leeks in the greengrocers, I braised them in olive oil and lemon juice, delicious with the freshly cooked ham

Moira

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:52 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Very wet and soggy out there ... that fine misty wetness that permeates everything. Think it’s going to be like it for most of the day ... at least I won’t need to water the plants :thumbsup
OH will be working 8.30 - 6 today ... he will need to take a flask of soup as well as his flask of tea.

Postby icelesley » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:58 am

Good Morning campers. It's just started raining again :roll: The beast is curled up on the sofa refusing to go out :lol: I think it's a greenhouse day today, I don't get wet in there, unless of course OH puts the watering system on by mistake :lol: it has been known :roll:

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:23 am

So disappointing for the cricketers today. They’ve waited so long and now the blooming weather will frustrate them.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:35 am

So disappointing for the cricketers today

Agreed. My year of sporting interest usually divides up between moaning about my chosen football team and moaning about my chosen cricket team. This year the agony of the former has been dragged out for months and the latter is replaced by frustration. :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 am

Morning all! :wave. Damp here too. Am supposed to be meeting a friend for a walk this morning, we're going to review at 9am and might walk in some sheltered woods suitably dressed if it's not pouring.

So much going on here!

KeenCook2 wrote: After a few weeks we were told we couldn't have the cold salmon or the roast beef from the self-serve buffet as we took too much :oops:
You did sound as though you had fun. There has been talk on Radio 1 recently about people, especially students, being thrown out of buffet style places for eating too much as though it was a new thing. The lads in DD's crowd at uni 30 years ago were barred from most pizza joints in Manchester for feeding up for the week- it's been a student thing everywhere for a long time I think!

Grassy - we haven't heard from you for a while. So very sorry you have such sad news :newhuggy.

zosh- it all sounds beautiful. I hope it will still be easy to travel, live and conduct business once Brexit kicks in.

Smitch - exciting- go for it :bounce:.

Sue, hope your pillow gave you a good night's sleep. I would love comfy pillows, it's so hard to know if you will like them when you buy.

Moira, was it just internet or all the electricity? :?

I think for neighbours to serenade with music you actually like is amazing! There have been such ghastly examples of neighbours treating everyone to noises I would really, really hate during lockdown. A few streets away there is a woman who 'sings' with a microphone outside her house every week and seems to be quite popular. Thankfully, the sound doesn't carry quite this far.

Looking forward to watching the kitchens materialise. I agree with Sue that if you have access to a planner it's worth it to hear what they have to say. You still need to stick to your guns for the features you really want!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:49 am

Good morning
It’s pretty soggy here too, though we’ve not that much rain in fact, judging by the minimal size of #2 puddle. Cold and wet until Saturday according to the forecast

Got a pile of ironing to do so I suppose that’s good cool weather work

Have a good day everyone

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox