Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby icelesley » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:04 pm

Good Afternoon Campers, it is hot, hot, hot again, currently 27C . Thank goodness I was up early bedding washed dried and ironed and put away by 9.30am before it got really hot. Love the book Herbie :thumbsup

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:24 pm

Hello Wildies :wave

Grassy, a belated Happy Birthday from me too. Glad you enjoyed your day. :birthday-dancer

We visited our local recycling centre last week. There was a queue, but we only had to wait for around 30 minutes before we got in. It's usually pretty quiet being so rural so I expect even with social distancing that it'll settle down soon.

Gruney, that's possibly the ultimate groan joke and it made me laugh out loud! :D

Re the DC issue, I was so incensed with it all (and I incude the lifting of the lockdown debacle) that I sent a 'Mrs Furious' email to my MP. I don't suppose it'll make a blind bit of difference but it made me feel better..... :roll:

Anyway, bits to do so I'll catch you all later. Have a good one everyone :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks all. It was a very stressful project. We had terrible problems with the illustrator...

Pampy wrote:The dino book looks great. Ideal for my nephew's son but out of stock on Amazon unfortunately.

It came in, it went out. I suspect they didn't get many copies. Waterstones had it earlier. I'd just send you one, but we can't get any either. Mine came from Amazon. (And now I am thinking I offered to send other people copies of other books and haven't. If I did let me know, for the fuuture - I can't get access to our 'library' at all at the moment.)

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:33 pm

Belated Happy birthday, Grassy!
The good news? It finally rained yesterday. First proper downpour since 15th January.I could almost hear the plants going " Slurp!Slurp!". It had been so dry, I was getting seriously worried that wildfires were going to take over.
What a delightful dinosaur book, Herbie. Well done!!
So we´re into June and I´m into day 80 of lockdown. Blimey, what a waste!
More good news ; someone finally coming to take a look at the fridge this week, so I might finally be able to cook some food in advance instead of having to prepare each meal on its own.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Afternoon All

Belated HB's to Grassy :blowing-birthday-cake

Hope OH is o.k at work Suffs.

Overload of tomato plants here taken after a quick post on Freecycle, every available pot, tub and bed has been filled, just some mixed bedding to go in now, and four courgette plants to re-home, will put them outside tomorrow, things usually get taken very quickly.

Traffic outside seems to be almost back to before lockdown, be interesting to see if yesterdays protests develop into more cases of Covid 19, people looked very close together. Wrote to our MP about DC, got a nice reply saying he was appalled, but will he stand up and be counted?

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:30 pm

Mr S is very pleased because car is to be serviced and MOT'd on Thursday. I've told him car is having a serious covid deep clean when he gets home. :)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby mistakened » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:05 pm

At last we have a washing machine but no instructions or rather we do have instructions in 18 languages but none of them English or even French or German. Deb is on line trying to find English language instructions. There was a very quick explanation of the buttons by one of the men who bought the machine but that it all. They declined to take the packaging with them.
We shall not be using Scania again.

It was very funny earlier. Deb had been making Meat Sauce, she put the wooden spoon into the dishwasher utensil basket up on the work surface. One of the feral cats must have got in and managed to get the spoon out of the basket letting it fall to the floor. Pug rushed in, picked up the spoon by the handle and held onto the spoon with grim determination. Nothing would make her drop the spoon, she has very strong jaws.. She was eventually distracted by the bin men.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Animal crackers Moira!

Waht make is the washing machine?

Postby mistakened » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:07 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Waht make is the washing machine?

It is a Whirlpool, we now have instructions courtesy of the internet

I forgot to say, Well done with the dinosaur book, Herbie

Postby aero280 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:55 pm

It's not part of the Whirlpool recall is it? The ones that catch fire?

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:33 pm

Thanks, Moira.

I am doing a similar one on a different subject matter now.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:43 pm

My ex next door neighbour and best friend has made The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... n-lockdown

Suspect no one is paying proper journalists these days . .

Postby scullion » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:52 pm

i am watching the local news with reports of the sea of litter, broken glass and used barbecues on the beaches down here, not to mention piles of poo and toilet paper dotted all over the place - horrendous. i'm amazed at how uncivilised some people are. it wouldn't surprise me if some of the beach owners closed them to public use.
shameful.

Postby mistakened » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:15 am

Good Morning Campers, I had an e mail from my brother acknowledging the arrival of his birthday card. He mentions a major fire on Thursley Common but is not surprised as the place was heaving, car parks full plus others parking anywhere. The fire is out but there are still hot spots, as a former volunteer fireman he knows what he is talking about. He commented that parts of the Surrey Heathland look more like Cyprus!

I must catch up with the washing.

Moira

Postby Suffs » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:55 am

Good morning campers :wave

Another glorious morning ... I’m vaguely aware of having heard the chink of milk bottles earlier ... otherwise I slept like a log ...

Postby icelesley » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:25 am

Good Morning campers. Blue sky and sunshine again :thumbsup but rain on its way tomorrow, great for the plants, but I have a little sparrow with chicks in a nest in the roof drain its been so dry she must have thought it was safe, if it rains the nest might get flushed down the drainpipe I don't know what to do, if we move the nest mum might abandon the chicks or not realise they have been moved if she isn't there if it's moved. What do you think ?

Postby dennispc » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:01 am

OH is shouting at the tele again :roll: - and this time is not Cummings.

5 mile queue for IKEA, people were complaining.

'Well, don't ...... go then!

Common sense, innit?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:46 am

Morning all! :wave.

Lovely book Herbi :thumbsup.

I hope that the washing machine is all you hoped for Moira.

Fame PP! I wonder how they got selected- perhaps they know someone.

What a dilemma re the nest icey :?. I would be worried too. If Wildies (or whatever they are now) don't know, may call a rescue place for advice?

I read that someone in the IKEA queue was queuing to buy candles. I suppose you can't judge how important something is to someone else without knowing them. Far worse is the release of the masses all at once to beautiful places with few facilities in place. Very badly thought out as well as highlighting worst aspects of our nation's behaviour (the same people are probably usually on package holidays somewhere - no wonder other countries hate British holidaymakers).

Last of the sunshine today, it'll be good for plants, water companies and midday walking to be cooler with some rain. Maybe it'll give beauty spots and beaches a break too. I'm having a walk with GD and her ma later, we may do the Gruffalo trail that someone has set up in local woods. I did it last night to see what it was like but missed one of the clues (the spots are marked on top of a Google map above the woods so it's hard to work out which path they're on!).

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:17 am

good morning, all.
sunny and still.
hooray, i've repaired the overlocker. it would have cost me much more than i paid for it if i'd taken it to a repairer. it was a lidl or aldi special from some years ago and cost fifty or sixty quid. it's a rebranded singer and was a complete bargain. it has cost ten pounds for the lower looper shaft (a casting from china), which was the part that had broken, and a couple of days with a set of needle files, allen keys, vernier callipers and a special measuring tool i have fashioned from an old matalan card. i scrubbed the metal dust out of my fingers and treated myself to a piña colada (and a feeling of smugness) yesterday, evening.
back to the ordinary machine in a bit. these sets should be quicker to do than the last as they have been pre-cut by a cutting machine. i don't have to go back and add some of the notches and marks that i'd forgotten to do while cutting the others out.
i have coffee.
have a grand day, everyone.

Postby liketocook » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:45 am

Good morning everyone,
Lots of complaints on the local FB pages re littering following the lovely weekend and yesterday one of the bins at the beach got set on fire by a disposable bbq that hadn't been put out properly. Given current circumstances I suspect it will be a while before it gets replaced no doubt aggravating the problem. After the initial mayhem things settled down at the waste/recycling centre, apparently the staff team were great but I bet they were glad to get their shift finished yesterday!
It's lovely here today but slightly overcast so it feels much more pleasant outdoors. Yesterday I melted in the greenhouse for hours getting it sorted out and the tomato and cucumber plants potted up. I'm very stiff today, too many hours perched on a stool hunched over tubs but I'm pleased to get it done :D .
Pig cheeks slow cooked with garlic, ginger, soy and honey for us today, it can chunter away while I potter about in the garden.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox