Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Amber » Fri May 22, 2020 12:48 am

I read a lot, but don’t post, so sorry if I’ve missed the most recent posts. I’m posting this before I forget.

Herbs, we have something similar in that we are the nearest to an aged relative. Money, ie cash, is a big issue. We have five option. 1) ignore. 2) give her bank card details to a trusted friend or neighbour (we are very, very lucky in this respect. 3) open a new online bank account you can transfer money into as and when needed. Keep the balance low, and top up only when necessary (after seeing photographs of receipts maybe?). Let carers/friends/neighbours have the details as and when necessary. 4) Hide smaller amounts all over the house, in the most stupid of places - under the never used teasmaid, inside a tissue box, in a box of tea bags, even (carefully) inside the tv remote. 5) you can buy volunteer shopping cards at Asda and M&S (and possibly other supermarkets too) - are these any good? Good luck, I understand your problems.

Postby mistakened » Fri May 22, 2020 7:15 am

Good Morning Campers, a nice fresh breeze has come up overnight, the temperature has dropped but it is still warmer than average. I shall go down to the local supermarket later without having to complete a permit.
The water is off again, I hope that it returns soon as the washing machine technician is due this afternoon.

Moira

Postby Suffs » Fri May 22, 2020 8:09 am

Good morning campers :wave

Re cash for our APs ... just an idea, but what about one of those pre-loaded cards ... the sort folk use for holidays or teenagers ...you could top it up from her account when you’d been satisfied with the reason (photos of receipts sent via mobile from carers/neighbours etc) or whatever. That way a carer could use the card to withdraw cash for your mum, but never have access to more than the limited amount loaded on the card.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/card

Postby icelesley » Fri May 22, 2020 8:55 am

Good Morning campers. I just realised I didn't post yesterday :o bet you didn't miss me ;) I was busy, I was shopping at 8am. I was surprised to see or not to see security on the door counting people in and out. I just walked straight in and there he was the security guard chatting up the girl on the express take away coffee counter :roll: it fortunately wasn't busy but he did leave his post naughty person. :lol: lovely hot day again yesterday, we did have rain early hours so no need to water today and it is very windy this morning. Lots of ironing to do today, well I couldn't miss washing and drying yesterday could i :D

Postby herbidacious » Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 am

Morning. A bit windy here, as forecast. Dull too. I had bought a windbreak to put up down the garden, before the wind came, but OH was too busy and it was not a one-person job... :? Hope my beans will be ok.

Thanks re suggestions for mother. A preloaded one sounds like the ticket. (A store specific one wouldn't really work as it's many different carers, and probably many different shops. The carers are doing this on their own time so one would hope nipping into local shops or picking things up when they do their own shopping.) I still think she should try to do her shopping online or on the phone to local green grocers though. The problem is this constant dribble of items wanted. It's partly because she doesn't know what she runs out of until the carers tell her (in spite of constant exhortations to let her know. Also exacerbated by multiple carers, including frequent new ones, who don't know and can't find things. It's a fast turn over in this line of work.) But I suspect even if she could access her kitchen, she's rather lost the ability to plan ahead.

Course we missed you, icey :)

Postby scullion » Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment but full sun predicted for the rest of the day.
there may be a large number of darwin awards this weekend. there's going to be big surf, good weather - and no lifeguards.
i wonder how many people have learned about the simple hazard of rips and how to get out of them, let alone some of the other ones.
we will not be going to the beach.
i had better move as i have a pick up of completed items in a short while.
and coffee is on its way.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby smitch » Fri May 22, 2020 11:25 am

Morning all!

Our water saga still isn't resolved. Yet another gang came out this morning and dug in a different place and think the leak is coming from our garden after all :thumbsdown Apparently someone else will be out at some point to look inside the garden and dig the opposite corner to the people last week. Good job we didn't make the garden nice like we'd planned during our recent time off work :roll:

Nelly seems a bit better on her medication. Still has a bit of a head tilt but she seems steadier on her feet. I forgot to ask the vet how long it would be before we saw an improvement but he did say it was difficult to get antibiotics working on the inner ear so guess it could be a while.

Postby mistakened » Fri May 22, 2020 11:29 am

I came back from the supermarket via Kurion Beach, the beach cafes are now open. I went to our favourite, Chris Blue Beach. The interior was closed off, the tables on the terrace are suitably spaced. I had my usual frappe and checked the updated menu. The original owner died suddenly last year, it is now run by one of his sons.
The menu has been modernized in both content and appearance. You can still have a kebab but there is also Tuna Tartare on the menu, not that I would eat raw tuna here as I am uncertain of its provenance. They have realised that avocadoes grow in Cyprus, there are a lot of those on the menu.
It was lovely sitting there being deafened by the waves, watching the kite surfers in the distance. There was a collection of small children bought down there by their grandparents for ice cream. I particularly enjoyed the little girl wearing a princess dress, a Tweety Pie hat and her slippers

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 pm

Morning all! :wave. Woke up late this morning then had a surprise 'drive by' visit from GD and her mum when I was still in my nightie and they had been out and about for something :oops:. I had to lean round the front door.

A little bit envious of anyone who can even smell the sea at the moment! It's not a bad day here, blustery but it will be nice for a walk. I hope anyone caught up in the big winds will be ok. It was supposed to rain here much earlier today but didn't. I didn't water much last night in the hope that everything would get a good drink.

Glad that Nelly is improving, Smitch. The water saga not so good!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 22, 2020 12:44 pm

Good morning
A little cooler today, overcast with a bit of a breeze but still warm

Hope they sort out the water smitch, I had a letter this morning telling me that they are doing coordinated works on the local A10 all summer, gas lilies, water piles and TfL will follow behind with road and kerb maintenance. Deep joy, I suppose we should be happy that it is happening when there is less traffic than normal. It does need doing as every time the ground is opened I see the Victorian pipes and realise they are living on borrowed time, which means my utilities are too

Need to write to or phone some suppliers, two small packages that should have arrived letter post have not turned up, I’ve let it run a week longer than I usually would, as we are only getting letters every 4 days, but I’ve had 2 deliveries this week and neither has arrived.

Have a good day everyone

Postby herbidacious » Fri May 22, 2020 1:11 pm

Oh dear. Husband just managed to get another phone appt with the GP as his possible chest infection symptoms are not improving. They want him to go to the GPs to be assessed (And be tested for Covid-19).
Husband is furious?! Too furious to give me more details.
I don't know where this leaves my thoughts on my hospital appointment regarding his health. However the GP doesn't seem to think that his asthma or (possible) chest infection is a serious factor regarding the implications of catching the virus.
I really don't think he does have it now, and if he has had it already, it was asymptomatic... apart from the cough and breathing difficulties. I don't suppose they will test for antibodies.

Postby smitch » Fri May 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Herbi, go to your hospital appointment, your own physical and mental health are important too. Infection control in hospital clinics is good plus non-essential outpatients appointments have been cancelled.

Postby liketocook » Fri May 22, 2020 1:19 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
The weather is wild here today. My son and his fiancée did a drive by earlier to drop off compost and fence paint as well as lovely goodies from the farm shop - globe & Jerusalem artichokes, Scottish strawberries and Ayrshire potatoes. They cost a small fortune but I am so looking forward to sampling them. We had a brief socially distanced chat in the garden but it was too windy to want to linger for long and they were heading to the fishmongers to pick up some langoustines for their dinner. They are finding local prices for fish so much cheaper and much better quality than they had been able to get in Cardiff.
The Korean-style fried chicken last night worked really well in the air fryer, a definite make again.
We are still trying to figure out what yesterday's announcement mean for the out of school club, hopefully things will become clearer over coming weeks so we can provide some assurances to the parents. Indications are that when the schools go back it will be a long time before what was "normal" returns so we will need to see how we can best support whatever alternatives are put in place.

Postby herbidacious » Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pm

Don't worry, Smitch. I have no intention of not going! That would be going through all this intense and persistent anxiety for nothing.

I think he is more likely to catch it at his GP surgery than off me from the hospital. But who knows. He has still not gone. He's now late for it.

Postby smitch » Fri May 22, 2020 1:33 pm

If his surgery is anything like mine, there will be plenty of precautions. Mine has sanitiser at the door, socially distant seating and staff wearing gloves, aprons and masks.

I have to go in next week to learn how to self inject my B12. I did offer to go in weeks ago but was told they were doing video appointments. When I spoke to the doctor earlier in the week she said they are reluctant to do video consultations and now my jab is late :roll:

Postby Suffs » Fri May 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Don’t know if any of you could help out with this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52768845

Postby Pampy » Fri May 22, 2020 1:56 pm

Good news about Nelly, Smitch - :crossed she continues to improve.
Bad news about the water though - what a pain in the posterior.

Postby herbidacious » Fri May 22, 2020 1:56 pm

Thanks, Smitch.

Glad Nelly is a bit better.

Postby Pampy » Fri May 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Suffs wrote:Don’t know if any of you could help out with this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52768845

Oh, if I must.. :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:05 pm

Morning/Afternoon all!
A bit cooler today, phew ...

Piano tuner just finished, very good to hear the piano sounding so much happier! Also he fixed a sticky key that OH had tinkered with and temporarily improved, but then started sticking again.

As mentioned on the baking thread, after my unintentionally almost vegan no sugar banana cake yesterday (forgot the egg!!) I plan to try it again today. It'll be interesting to see how different it is.

I finished the new Hilary Mantel yesterday (unfortunately not in time for our virtual book group a few weeks ago) so am feeling a bit bereft. Next book is Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.

Have a good day everyone and hope all aches/pains/poorly pets and Herbi's husband are feeling better :thumbsup

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox