Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 31, 2020 1:55 pm

I imagine a lot of our complaints seem trivial, Kool, to you

On the contrary, Herbi; we all complain for a reason, and 99/100, our complaints are justified. Everyone is entitled to perfect service when they are, after all, paying for it.
The point of my little story was simply to take a look at the other side of the coin, as it were, and to show that you can´t please all of the people, all of the time!

Postby liketocook » Sun May 31, 2020 3:10 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
I'm not surprised your friend was feeling emotional and it is human nature to focus on the negative feedback rather the positive!
I've not had any real issues with my Tesco deliveries yes a few subs or out of stock items and one bag mix up where I definitely got the better deal! Wilkinson though has been a different matter and it was only yesterday that I finally got items ordered mid April after a lot of chasing up....
It's another scorching day here and at the moment there is no shade in my garden so I'm indoors for a siesta. My son has headed to the shady sand pits to fish for a few hours in the relative cool there. As we are both red heads (very faded in my case) we don't fare well in the hot sun.
The kids did a phenomenal job painting outside yesterday, what a difference three pairs of hands and few hours graft has made. :D Once it has cooled down a bit I and start sweeping the debris up from all the pots being moved and my son is going to pressure wash the slabs later in the week.

Postby Seatallan » Sun May 31, 2020 3:42 pm

Busybee wrote:Just got around to reading the papers, Seatallen’s chippy is mentioned in The Telegraph.

Shap Chippy and it’s mobile van, phone app, click and collect and cashless systems. All that and great chips to boot!

BB

:thumbsup

Shap Chippy is fab. If not the best fish & chips I've ever had, they're certainly in the top three. We love them. :yum

PS: I absolutely agree with Sue about DC. I really hope Karma gets him big time at some point. What really depresses me is the very obvious attempt to distract us all from the issue by lifting lockdown far too quickly. It's adding insult to injury and will, to my mind, inevitably result in more fatalities and pressure on our frontline workers.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby herbidacious » Sun May 31, 2020 4:21 pm

So the BBC has an article about high risk people who got Covid-19 and survived. Heartening for fearful high riskers, or encouraging people to dismiss the risk full stop? I guess people can and will take away the message they want to hear, but that doesn't mean the BBC is being neutral here.
Reporting that some such people survive is not really evidence for anything in itself, other than that some such people have survived, but it kind of suggests that it is more in the light of the relaxing of lockdown...?

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun May 31, 2020 4:40 pm

Our experience with supermarket deliveries has been generally positive, it's all new to us as well, but given our circumstances very welcome. It's a matter of amusement to us that the cream cheese we ordered for topping a carrot cake was subbed with cottage cheese, but the lesson is that we could have made a note for the picker. It's also telling that our first order was very much the basics, but now we've progressed to beer and chocolate, times are not so hard.

Re lockdown, I'm sure we'll be very cautious as some people are bound to regard relaxation as 'back to normal'. I don't know if it is a distraction or whether they have realised that many people will do as they please after last week. :roll:

The annoying thing for me personally is that as I could give DC a run for his money in a DC lookalike contest and Mrs B's aunt lives six miles from Barnard Castle, I'm expecting some abuse the next time we visit - there's every chance of a comment or two as we go round Morrison's, just hope they're funny. :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 31, 2020 6:10 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:That's the attitude he wants us to take, so I refuse to take it.

I don't mean that the incident should be forgotten or swept under the carpet. I just feel that it's dominating the news whilst other things slip through. I do think DC has far too much influence but that having to replace him at this point, although an attractive thought, could leave everything in even more of a shambles than it already is. I would feel happier if I thought more of those in government shone through in a positive light.

All I really want is to wake up in the morning without the sinking "what's happened now?" feeling which has become the norm over the past four years. Yes, karma must win in the end, I hope it hurries up.

:lol: BM.

I hope that tonight's announcement re rough sleepers will work. Those locally who were put into nice hotels with blocks on drug dealers and lots of support and proper meals have done so well, it would be really awful if they were just left now.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 31, 2020 6:45 pm

All I really want is to wake up in the morning without the sinking "what's happened now?" feeling which has become the norm over the past four years. Yes, karma must win in the end, I hope it hurries up.
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

BM, I suppose you do look something like DC - but I hope it’s not indelicate to point out that he is rather on the tall side! Perhaps you could remind the lynch mob of this? ;)

Glorious day here - warm and sunny. Usually if it is this warm in London it’s a bit muggy but the humidity is really quite low, only 20% according to the living room thermometer. I find 25C of dry heat quite comfortable as I don’t get sticky, in fact my sinuses and my plants might like a tad more moisture in the atmosphere

I’m going to pop outside and repot my chilli plants, as I’m really scared they might dry out in little pots, I’ve had to rescue some wilting plants already

Postby Grasshopper » Sun May 31, 2020 9:54 pm

ELLOW!

It was my B-day on Friday! However, we still won't be able to go to a cafe for a while yet, but when we can, we will celebrate.
We were going to have (HM) Chinese chicken & rice, BUT, as it was so hot, I opted for a tea party instead, so we had sarnies, crisps, crackers HM buns & jelly & ice-cream.
My :blowing-birthday-cake was a bun with one candle - but hey, one has to work with what one has in times like this :lol:
Buns were delish! :yum

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby aero280 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:12 pm

Happy Birthday! :) One candle is the modern way!

Tomorrow we are breaking free!! We are driving around the M25 to take her car for a service and MOT. I normally take it there and come home on the train, but this time, I don't want to risk public transport. Then we will do it all again on Tuesday to get the car back. At least the two cars will get a good run for a change.

I know that there's an MOT extension, but that still requires the car to be roadworthy, and it's in need of a bit of TLC. It's something I could fix, but I would need to buy some special tools to do it, so I chickened out.

Postby Amyw » Sun May 31, 2020 10:35 pm

My friend and I went to a local farm shop and I realised it was the first time I’d left my town in 11 weeks . It was quite a bizarre thought

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun May 31, 2020 11:48 pm

BM, I suppose you do look something like DC - but I hope it’s not indelicate to point out that he is rather on the tall side! Perhaps you could remind the lynch mob of this?

I haven't got a clue how tall he is, but a quick online search has come up with 1.74 or 1.75 metres - 5' 9". Regardless of whether it is or isn't true, unfortunately it's my height, so perhaps that's not going to cut it as they throw the rope over the lamp post :cry:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 31, 2020 11:51 pm

Belated Happy Birthday Grassy! :blowing-birthday-cake. Your tea sounds lovely.

This town has two motorway exits and I've driven from one to the other a couple of times - quite legitimately to deliver shopping to someone who was self-isolating. It was great! I loved my trip out to nearby countryside last week too. Those are my only out of town trips since early March. I'd love to go out for longer but would have to investigate Shewees and portapotties first!

I had heard that there is likely to be a long waiting list for MOTs when the extension is lifted (which seems plausible). GD's ma had hers done the other day, the garage people came and collected it and brought it back so she just left it a couple of days then gave it a good clean.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:16 am

Happy Birthday Grassy :blowing-birthday-cake

Night night all ...

Postby mistakened » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:04 am

Good Morning Campers and a belated Happy Birthday, Grassy.

I shall be driving to Paphos this morning, the furthest that I have driven since the Lock Down :o

Moira

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:09 am

Good morning campers :wave ... it’s June already! OH is back to work today ... he’s managing today plus has all the new procedures to get used to. How will I manage without my Undergardener?! It’s just as well we got the tomatoes and squashes planted yesterday. I ran out of space ... I always grow too many tomatoes because I give some to my daughter but of course that hasn’t happened, so I had a dozen too many. I put them in the wheelbarrow at the end of the driveway with a notice inviting people to help themselves ... they all went by suppertime, mostly to families out for a walk. Just one plant was left on its own ... tht was taken by a couple of lads aged about 14 ... I hope it does well for them :thumbsup

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:18 am

Yes, it's been a funny year for plants. We decided to use up all our old seed packets and fill the garden up with annuals in case Mrs B couldn't get any bedding. It was largely an exercise in making compost wet before throwing it onto the used compost pile, so much failed. Luckily there have been bedding plants available. There are plenty of spare veg plants and herb cuttings. We usually put the spares into a couple of charity plant sales, both of which were cancelled, but a friend's village sale went ahead as a regularly restocked trestle table outside a front door. It has made £1200 for village funds, they're delighted. It's the unusual stuff that went quickly - achocha, oca, lovage plants.

Postby icelesley » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:21 am

Good Morning campers. Belated happy birthday Grassy :ruined-birthday-cake It's going to be hot again today, phew. First Day of summer, it feels like we have had summer for weeks already :lol: Bedding is in the washer, Frankie has been for her walk and run around with her ball on the common. OH takes her early because there is nobody else around and it's cooler for her, being black she feels the heat more.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:35 am

Good morning
I’ve done quite well with using up old packets of seed, assuming I’d be unable to get small amounts of bedding
I grew a lot of calendula indoors to fill up pots, they are just coming into flower and I am relieved to discover they are mixed colours as advertised, or it would be very much a case of Orange is the new Green.

I also have loads of annual herbs coming up outside and 3 cayenne and 3 jalapeño chilli plants looking very healthy. My savory I thought had died overwinter but it has taken off and is already bigger than ever. Only failure was a pack of impatiens that only started to germinate 4 weeks after planting, next time I’ll give them some bottom heat

Have a good day

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:12 am

Morning all! :wave

I'm still ploughing my way through the very old packets of sprouting seeds which were lurking. The extra greenery has been very useful. I also planted some old lettuce seed weeks ago. It is coming up but very slowly indeed. The tomato seed was a success, I have given lots of plants away and still have plants in every available pot. Blueberries, gooseberries and mulberries all look as though they'll give a good crop. Even happier that my peony is flowering this year.

Another hot day forecast. Running a bit slow this morning so my walk will be this evening. I'm going to test a Gruffalo trail which has been set up in the woods I usually walk in to see if it is any good for GD.

I hope all goes well for OH Suffs. I didn't think that shops were opening until 15th, maybe the goalposts have been moved again :roll: or maybe they come under hardware.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:38 am

Orange is the new green here Sue ... lots of calendula.

EM, OH's shop is on Garden Centre premises so their rules apply ... apparently ...the theory is that as garden centres are mainly outside that's why they could open earlier ... government obviously not knowing that garden centres have huge indoor areas selling scented candles, waxed jackets and very odd cushions.... and OH's shop is all inside with air con :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox