Register

Wildfood campsite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wildfood campsite

Postby Pampy » Fri May 29, 2020 12:00 am

So sorry to hear about Nelly, Smitch. I know it probably won't help but you did do the right thing for her. :newhuggy :newhuggy

Postby halfateabag » Fri May 29, 2020 12:02 am

Sorry to hear about Nelly Smitch, nothing worse than having a pet which is suffering..... very hard decision, thoughts with you...

Postby mistakened » Fri May 29, 2020 7:10 am

Good Morning Campers, sorry to read about Nelly, Smitch.
We have just had a light shower, we do not expect rain at the end of May. The weather has been odd this year, we had very hot temperatures at the beginning of the month, now it is lower than average. After shopping I was going down to the beach for coffee but it may not be warm enough to sit outside.

Moira

Postby Suffs » Fri May 29, 2020 7:32 am

Good morning campers :wave
Another beautiful morning ... the morning chorus was wonderful. The drought is getting worrying tho ... farmers are very concerned.

Postby halfateabag » Fri May 29, 2020 7:43 am

I am worried about my up coming water bill. Our 3 butts have been empty for too long. Looking at the long range weather forecast shows no rain for ages.... I am using as much grey water as I can.

After a 'contaminated' sample from Wuzzle, the one I collected today - I hope, will give a good indication of his true health - time will tell. I will call the vets later to deliver the sample. Like a true man, he managed to get it everywhere :roll: All up my arm.... !

Must sort my tomatoes out today and put in their forever home pots.

Postby icelesley » Fri May 29, 2020 9:12 am

Good Morning campers. :newhuggy Snitch, sorry to hear about Nelly .
I don't think I posted you yesterday :o I was shopping at 8am, I managed to get some marigolds from Morrison's too. I usually plant them in the greenhouse to stop bugs attacking them tomato plants, it works a treat :thumbsup they will be sorted this morning before it gets to hot.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 29, 2020 9:42 am

Morning all! :wave. Another lovely day. A few night time showers would certainly be a good thing.

My tomatoes went into their final pots yesterday too. I grew them from seed this year - just a small sprinkling resulted in far too many plants for me so lots have been given away. I needed a home for four remaining smaller plants and last night the lady next door snapped them up. She works in a care home and one of the elderly residents gets great pleasure from tending any plants he can get his hands on. She thought he'd be thrilled with them.

I think you should be congratulated for managing to collect any sample, 1/2 teabag!! Were you pleased with your valuation?

Managed to get up early again. I'm going to have a little walk this morning then am meeting GD and her ma for another walk after tea.

Postby scullion » Fri May 29, 2020 10:17 am

good morning, all.
sunny, bread baked.
we are having a chat with a friend at the beach this morning while his wife goes for a walk with another friend of hers.
then we're picking up the eggs that i was going out for the other day - and handing over a load of unpicked out tomato plants that are taking up windowsill space. they may not be easily separable (they are rather big) but at least their death won't be at my hands! all the ones i'm keeping have been living out in the garden for a couple of months now.
our mp was on the today programme, this morning - i don't know how he got to his position. i never hear of him doing anything down here. i hear more of his brothers farming empire a few miles down the road.
i didn't believe him when he said that he'd possibly had a hundred emails about the cummings episode when the truro mp has had over a thousand. maybe he just doesn't read them or his minions don't tell him about them. i didn't vote for him - he slithers.
better shift, off in an hour.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby aero280 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:44 am

I’ve been thinking a bit about this water leak at Smitch’s. It’s not a hidden leak they are looking for. It’s coming above ground. All that’s needed is to dig where the water is appearing and follow it back to the point of the leak. Why is this not being done?

Postby smitch » Fri May 29, 2020 10:53 am

aero280 wrote:I’ve been thinking a bit about this water leak at Smitch’s. It’s not a hidden leak they are looking for. It’s coming above ground. All that’s needed is to dig where the water is appearing and follow it back to the point of the leak. Why is this not being done?

Your guess is as good as mine.

The street with the leak is a hill and not that steep. The two holes dug so far were not joined up at all and nothing has been dug above our supply pipe, just right on it and below where the water is coming out. We've also been told that separate gangs are required to dig up the footpath and the soft verge immediately behind our wall :roll:

We've been really proactive at informing and chasing the water company too, if we hadn't we'd still have no idea where things were up to.

Postby mistakened » Fri May 29, 2020 11:05 am

I am furious, you may remember we had to replace our washing machine. Originally we could not get delivery until next Tuesday. On Wednesday we ordered another machine from a different firm with a delivery time of one or two days, they would phone us before delivering the goods. Phone call at 9 30, to confirm that they will deliver on Monday afternoon :!: :!: :!: Three days after the original date :evil:
The reason that we went to the original firm, Premiere Electrics is that we know if they say they will deliver on a particular day, they will do it. The problem was that they only cover this area on a Tuesday

Moira (with steam coming out my ears)

Postby halfateabag » Fri May 29, 2020 11:28 am

EM, yes, pleased with the valuation, according to the estate agents, since re-opening it has been madly busy, he reckoned that prices in London were down 18% and up locally 8%. Apparently loads of peeps moving this way as companies are now happier for employees to work from home. It's a sellers market at present ! More joyful for me to hear such compliments about our home, hub is short on words - just takes it a bit for granted..... :roll: To be fair to him, he is cleaning windows at present so must not grumble.

Postby Suffs » Fri May 29, 2020 11:31 am

Oh Moira :twisted: ... all that steam going to waste ... Aeros fixed his iron

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 29, 2020 11:39 am

Oh dear Moira, how infuriating :evil:.

It'll be interesting to learn where this leak is coming from! I got the feeling, from what was said at one point, that it was thought to be under the wall, which is never fun. It sounds as if it is the other side of the wall though. Definitely one of those jobs where communication with the customer has failed.
Out lot used to have to resolve CEO complaints in a very short turnaround time. I've known quite major emergencies being held up because a mundane CEO complaint had to be attended first. Hopefully you'll get VIP treatment. As it will involve two gangs, it sounds like ones from two different departments - good luck with that :roll: :crossed

Great that all your efforts were suitably appreciated 1/2 teabag!

Postby liketocook » Fri May 29, 2020 11:58 am

Good morning everyone,
I'm so sorry to hear about Nelly smitch :newhuggy :newhuggy
It's another gorgeous day here it's also Day 1 of lockdown easing so my younger son has ordered bait and is hoping to go to the local sand pits to fish later if it arrives in time. My elder son is also taking up golf, a lot of his mates play and he's looking forward to the social aspect as well as the exercise and fresh air. He's really missing the gym but it will be a while yet before they reopen I think. He's borrowing a set of clubs for the time being to see how he gets on. It will be lovely to see folk for a proper chat even if it is socially distanced and outdoors.
My neighbour's have been camping out for the past three nights for the lad's Cub Scout Camping challenge, in the early hours all hell broke loose when a cat (not theirs) jumped on the tent!! I think Mum and Dad anyway will be glad to get back to their own bed tonight :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 29, 2020 12:28 pm

Sunny here again too, and warming up after yesterday’s relative coolness

Nothing really happening, but my face masks have turned up only about 16 days late
Very nice but will need to shorten the ear loops a bit, I do have a very narrow head

Postby Lokelani » Fri May 29, 2020 1:16 pm

So sorry to hear the news about Nelly, Smitch. That's so sad.

Another warm day here, we could really do with some rain. We actually went for a drive this morning to post a letter & give the car a run. We did the other car a few days ago, so this time I drove. Good to find I still remember how!! It must be the longest I've ever been in adult life without driving, something I generally enjoy.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri May 29, 2020 1:23 pm

smitch :newhuggy

Moira :evil:

Just "attended" my eldest brother's cremation via webcam, truly weird ... but actually very glad we didn't have to trek up to the Golders Green Crem under the current situation.

The technology wasn't really up to it, after practice logging on fine yesterday and this morning in advance on OH's Apple laptop, when it came to the actual event it wouldn't load and said it would be better on an iPad .... arghh .... fortunately OH has one and it was charged. We only missed the first 3 or 4 mins (of 15). It hadn't even occurred to me to turn my computer on as well, and it takes so long to start that the whole thing would have been over. The quality of the webcam was pretty bad as well.

The combination of my health and his health meant we hadn't seen him for a few years so fortunately my memories are not of him as infirm as he has been for a while.

Postby Busybee » Fri May 29, 2020 1:31 pm

I’m sorry for your loss KC2, I’m glad that you were able to be partially present.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 29, 2020 1:38 pm

Sorry to hear that KC2
My condolences to you and the family

It must have been a very strange experience, you are the second person I know who has had to do this, local friend attended her sister’s funeral remotely at the very start of lockdown

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox