Register

Great British menu

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Great British menu

Postby mark111757 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:59 pm

Wed nites 800pm London time on BBC 2

Cooking with bugs huh?? Interesting for that if nothing else

Re: Great British menu

Postby Renee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:21 pm

Thanks Mark. I enjoy that programme.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Anyone been watching this? Most of the contestants I've seen so far have worked in or are working in Michelin starred kitchens.

Odd desserts yesterday, they seemed to be deliberately trying to sneak savoury items into the dessert course, and not very surreptitiously. For heaven's sake, there are already four savoury courses, cut the poor guests some slack, especially if they are going to include children, given the theme.

It's all complete nonsense of course, utterly contrived, but I've sort of been enjoying it (apart from the obligatory shouty, bumbling and grating "kid's presenter", who acts like a kids' presenter because she actually IS a kids' presenter...). I really don't give a hoot who wins, or in the final menu given the underlying theme (courses based on childrens' books) is rubbish. Lots of interesting techniques though, even if they are mostly playing to the camera.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri May 08, 2020 7:36 pm

I dip in and out. It must be nearly finished by now. I quite like the children’s book theme. It’s always been Michelin quality, if not starred, chefs hasn’t it? The very first series featured Mark Hix, Jeremy Lee and Richard Corrigan if I remember correctly.

It’s run its course though hasn’t it?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 08, 2020 7:59 pm

To be honest I thought it had run its course that first series :-(

Although if I remember correctly it prompted me to actually try some of the dishes, I remember a sous vide egg and pea puree dish I copied, and I think the best ever custard tart I've made was a Marcus Wareing recipe from it I think. Was that GBM? Not much I fancy trying that I've seen this series. Many hideously expensive ingredients for contrived flights of fancy.

Postby miss mouse » Fri May 08, 2020 10:12 pm

Sakkarin wrote: and I think the best ever custard tart I've made was a Marcus Wareing recipe from it I think. Was that GBM?

Marcus W definitely did do a custard tart for GBM.

This is an event for approx 80 diners so how does all that intricate prep and plating work? also, all those props, do the diners take them home? are the hand made plates, bowls etc taken home? It is all pretty daft but quite good fun I think although I would not race home to watch it. Glimpses of the kitchen porters etc can be seem occasionally which makes me laugh.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 08, 2020 10:37 pm

I just watch the judging day of the week these days, which I find quite entertaining. I do wish we could taste too.

I came in late this year and although I understand the theme, have no idea where, or at what occasion, the final dinner was held. Presumably it was all done and dusted even before people started to get nervous about Coronavirus, so it must have been ages ago.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 09, 2020 9:48 am

I guess the theme gets a bit more tenuous each series. The dishes perhaps more theatrical, at least in their presentation. I quite like my food on plates or in bowls.

Yes surely there have always been Michelin starred chefs on it. I thought Mark Hix was on one of the later series. I recall (not necessarily accurately) the late Gary Rhodes and Atul Kochar vying for the regional heat in the first series.

It must be a great advert for their restaurants. I would almost certainly never have tried fine dining without that programme, the formality and dress code that I presumed was required turned me right off. Given that we haven't got any starred restaurants in Herts, I might not have blundered into one accidentally either, although the Auberge du Lac used to be starred and we might have gone there. However, many years later, the majority of starred restaurants that I've visited have been featured on that show.

I've not been tempted to cook anything from a recent series. I once did Nick Nairn's raspberry soufflé, which might have been from series 1. It was the third best soufflé I've ever eaten. Only did it the once - perhaps I'm scared to repeat it in case I spoil the memory. I've always thought of cooking the custard tart, then forgot about it, but was reminded last year because we took a friend to Marcus for a special birthday and they gave us a couple of slices as a treat. There have been dishes that I've fancied eating and have eaten a few over the years. I wouldn't mind trying the Mark Hix crayfish and rabbit pie for example.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 09, 2020 10:10 am

The memory does indeed play tricks BM. Mark Hix was Series 2. But there were a lot of big names. John Burton Race anyone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Menu

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 09, 2020 10:36 am

You're right PP, I'd have said Mark Hix was series 4 or 5 if you'd pressed me. I can remember the Galton Blakiston/Sat Bains heat, but (now having looked it up) had completely forgotten that GB was also in the previous series.

I think the judging has got sillier over the years, too. Obviously it's just a piece of television entertainment, but I've never had a duff plate of food in a posh restaurant, some of the criticism has to be for effect I feel.

I saw JBR at a restaurant somewhere. He was visiting, rather than working.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 09, 2020 10:49 am

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 09, 2020 10:54 am

I'd promised myself a visit to the Oyster & Chop House 'one day'. That's looking less likely...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 09, 2020 10:59 am

Dear me. It just struck me that I could make an entire section of my cookbook collection dedicated to chefs whose businesses have gone bust, even without any Jamie books.

I wonder if he'll actually feel the pinch? It seems to me the celebrities whose businesses go bust seem to carry on as if nothing had happened, in a situation where you or I might end up destitute.

Some of the criticism has to be for effect
I'd go as far as to say maybe it's even recorded AFTER the fact...

You always know when the judge says "I'm worried that the stuffing will be too dry" that the stuffing is going to be too dry. Every single episode.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 09, 2020 11:07 am

I'm disappointed about the Lyme Regis one though. The locals speak very highly of it and the prices aren't as inflated as the London ones.

Postby aero280 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:12 am

Badger's Mate wrote:...Given that we haven't got any starred restaurants in Herts...

London isn’t too far from Herts, if you are desperate for Michelin stars. Our local restaurant gets a mention in Michelin, but not a star. The owner once told me that he didn’t really want a star because it attracted “Michelin star baggers”. People who just go once. A bit like Munro climbing.

It’s worth a visit when things are back to normal. We are lucky enough to be able to walk there! :o

https://stjamesbushey.co.uk/

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 09, 2020 11:35 am

The Artichoke in Amersham has a star but I guess that's just about in Bucks. Is bloody good though. The set lunch is a steal. Hope they survive this.

http://www.artichokerestaurant.co.uk/home.htm

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 09, 2020 2:08 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:I recall ... the late Gary Rhodes and Atul Kochar vying for the regional heat...

I would have questioned your memory and said "Nah, shirley not!", but you're right!

I obviously took it seriously back in the early days, as I see I downloaded ALL the recipes for the first couple of series back then! These were the dishes I made:

Series 1 Custard tart with Garibaldi biscuits – Marcus Wareing (without the biscuits)
Series 2 Ham, egg and peas – Sat Bains
Perry jelly and summer fruits with elderflower ice cream – Mark Hix

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 09, 2020 3:13 pm

The Fox and Hounds at Hunsdon has got a Bib Gourmand and is lovely, but we can't walk there. In happier times there is the odd bus that allows a lunchtime visit. We can, however, walk to any restaurant in London as our railway station is five minutes away. My point was that I would never have thought of going to a starred restaurant in London had it not been for GBM, but we might have gone to a local place without realising its status.

I would have questioned your memory

It's always worth questioning my memory, but it's sufficiently fallible these days that sometimes it fails to let me down.

You always know when the judge says "I'm worried that the stuffing will be too dry" that the stuffing is going to be too dry. Every single episode.

They overdo the jeopardy on all manner of shows these days. I'm tiring of nature documentaries for that reason.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 09, 2020 3:32 pm

They do. I couldn’t be doing with the recent Primates double on the Beeb because of the awful script Chris Packham had to read. It might have been his own but it was awful.

The pictures were nice though.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 15, 2020 11:32 am

Thank heaven's it's all over, I'd had my fill of that irritating presenter patronising double Michelin starred chefs with her inane attention-seeking twaddle. I almost switched off when she did that "Oh dear, I nearly dropped it" nonsense with the cake.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox