Register

Great British menu

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Great British menu

Postby mistakened » Sat May 16, 2020 7:58 am

miss mouse wrote:
No kitchen porters, wow did the chefs wash the dishes and empty the bins themselves.

No sous chefs either, surely no one would make that quantity of tortellini from scratch single handed

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 16, 2020 1:57 pm

I’ve binge-watched the episodes up until the Banquet over the last 24 hours and I’ve enjoyed it so much!! I loved the theme, thought the chefs were stars and that Susan Calman and the other extraneous guests were great.

Having said that, the last few series have failed to grab me so maybe I’m coming to it a bit afresh? The desserts in particular were unbelievable.

Will watch the Banquet after lunch. 8-) 8-)

Postby miss mouse » Sat May 16, 2020 2:49 pm

I am glad you are enjoying it PP. Was it not more bitterly competitive in earlier competition? I do prefer the co-operative and enquiring spirit of the more recent ones, the bitterly competitive ones were rather exhausting to watch.

Wait until you see my Super Hero at work sorting out the Pass.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 16, 2020 3:32 pm

Am not much into "competitive" to be honest Miss Mouse. I like camaraderie which this certainly had, but the first series did too. All these guys and girls are good or they wouldn't be there. (is one of the reasons I can't be doing with BBC Young Musician of the Year). There is room at the top for an awful lot of people.

I enjoyed the banquet! Glad to see no Rees-Moggs.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat May 16, 2020 11:36 pm

Matt Tebbutt and Marcus Wareing had a good idea for GBM on today’s Saturday Kitchen and if it goes ahead then it will probably rekindle my interest in the show. The theme of SK over the last few weeks has been making dishes with whatever is available in the shops and giving ideas of substitutes that can be used when making the dish. This would test a lot of the contestants as they would have to go back to basics.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 17, 2020 6:30 am

You’re right NLB. Everyone is having a rethink which is No Bad Thing in my book. When and if this is all over I’m hoping a lot of the comfy formulaic stuff will take a hike.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 17, 2020 11:22 am

The theme of SK over the last few weeks has been making dishes with whatever is available

Wasn't that what Ready Steady Cook did? (Or was it Can't Cook Won't Cook - the one where the contestants had only a fiver to spend and then the cooks could magically use a whole load of other ingredients from the larder so the fiver was irrelevant...)

I ended up watching the banquet, by fast forwarding through the irritating bits. Thank heavens for Tivo.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 17, 2020 12:28 pm

I have pretty much given up watching any cooking programme presented as a contest, I prefer food served without sides of hysteria, petulance, and snark

I think they were not thinking of making the chefs work with a random fridge full of ingredients so much as making them shop in the ordinary way at the wholesale markets etc rather than ordering obscure exotica

Postby WWordsworth » Sun May 17, 2020 12:57 pm

I always enjoy the invention test in Aus MasterChef.
Sounds a bit like it.

Postby mistakened » Sun May 17, 2020 2:22 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I always enjoy the invention test in Aus MasterChef.Sounds a bit like it.

Ditto, this years series is already underway.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox