Register

Panic buying

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Panic buying

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Can I point out that if you are self-isolating at home and worried about running out of toilet paper you can use much less of it and then WASH like most of the worlds population?

This is when I'm very pleased that we left the bidet in the bathroom when we had it refurbished. :clap

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:20 am

I have absolutely no idea of bidet etiquette.

Postby scullion » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am

ladies first - and don't share flannels?

Postby dennispc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:00 pm

Wished we had stocked up more. No anti-bacterial wipes nor hand sanitisers anywhere.

Popped into Boots to see if they had them. Waiting in the queue noticed pharmacist on different counter dealing with a customer - twice wiped her nose with a tissue and put it in her pocket.

But friends, who have Sainsburys delivered, had ordered a 9 roll pack of toilet rolls. None available, sent replacement - 24 roll pack! They’re not complaining.

Postby dennispc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:40 pm

And we're now stocked up on birthday cards!

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:52 pm

I went online late Thursday night to place an Ocado order (a normal, not a panic one) - the earliest slot I could get was next Thursday, when usually I can get one for the next day. And now I can't get onto the website at all - get a message saying it's "having a little bother". The app. won't open at all on my phone either. So much for the government's statement that supermarkets are geared up for home deliveries!

Postby scullion » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:07 pm

Petronius wrote: No anti-bacterial wipes nor hand sanitisers anywhere.

well, antibacterial wipes won't be effective on viruses anyway. you might as well take a little bottle of vodka around with you to use as hand sanitiser - much more effective.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:37 pm

Alcohol content to sanitise hands has to be at least 60% to be of any use - vodka is around 40%.

Postby scullion » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:46 pm

still better than antibac. - ok, overproof rum. - or rectify/freeze the vodka to up the percentage‽‽

Postby smitch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:59 pm

Pampy wrote:I went online late Thursday night to place an Ocado order (a normal, not a panic one) - the earliest slot I could get was next Thursday, when usually I can get one for the next day. And now I can't get onto the website at all - get a message saying it's "having a little bother". The app. won't open at all on my phone either. So much for the government's statement that supermarkets are geared up for home deliveries!

The Ocado website is now working but not the app. I have a delivery on Tuesday evening but had to book it last weekend :shock:

I’ve made sure to order plenty of hay for the guinea pigs. We have enough food to get by but they need lots of hay daily or they could become seriously ill.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Am still trying to get on the website - I can get to the landing page but can't go any further - have tried to look for a delivery slot and also to look at the order that I've got coming next week but it just hangs. I suspect that they've limited the number of incoming requests to the server to stop it crashing so it's just pot luck whether or not you succeed in getting a response. My insomnia might have a silver lining though - I can try to get access during the night when it will hopefully be quieter!

Postby dennispc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:10 pm

scullion wrote:
Petronius wrote: No anti-bacterial wipes nor hand sanitisers anywhere.

well, antibacterial wipes won't be effective on viruses anyway. you might as well take a little bottle of vodka around with you to use as hand sanitiser - much more effective.

What about dettol?

Postby smitch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:20 pm

I just managed to get back on Ocado to amend my order although it took several attempts. I think your plan of trying late at night is a good one.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:11 pm

If it only claims to be antibacterial, as the Dettol surface cleaner does, I wouldn’t rely on it to kill virus

The Dettol All in One aerosol does claim to me antiviral

https://www.dettol.co.uk/products/see-all-products/dettol-all-in-one-disinfectant-spray-lemon-breeze/

Bleach of course kills just about everything, we used it in path labs (always follow the dilution instructions, most people overdo it. And wear an apron, it’s bad for cothes

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:02 pm

As I understand it the reason for washing hands is for when you touch your face orifices given it's not a contact through the skin, because if it is you'd have contracted it as soon as you touched it. So bacterial cleansers for surfaces would surely have to be used on every tin of baked beans or jar or bottle that one brought into the house. I don't get it.

Current advice is that the bugs can stay active for five hours on a surface. Presumably not touching anything for five hours after buying, or ignoring surfaces for five hours, would leave them no more dirty than they were to begin with.

Is all this cleansing wipe stuff just to make us feel as if we're doing something?

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Petronius wrote:...[clip]...

But friends, who have Sainsburys delivered, had ordered a 9 roll pack of toilet rolls. None available, sent replacement - 24 roll pack! They’re not complaining.

Had to laugh. I ordered a 24-roll pack being cheaper than the smaller packs last week, and today none was delivered as I hadn't chosen the substitutes tick box.

Not Ocado who are very good about delivering what you order (or not let you order if not available), whereas this supermarket is always roulette.

The supermarkets must be tearing their hair out about the food waste that will ensue since no-one will be buying if they all have full cupboards and freezers now - or maybe there'll be bargaings to be had if getting into a shop at the right time?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:27 pm

jeral wrote:As I understand it the reason for washing hands is for when you touch your face orifices given it's not a contact through the skin, because if it is you'd have contracted it as soon as you touched it. So bacterial cleansers for surfaces would surely have to be used on every tin of baked beans or jar or bottle that one brought into the house. I don't get it.

Yes and no
It’s about chain of transmission, not necessarily about touching your face but maybe touching another surface such as a cup or a glass
Not really sure where this idea that only face contact counts come from

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:31 pm

I've finally managed to get onto Ocado and amend my order. I've never had any problems with items not being delivered by them until last Wednesday's order when a bottle of Asti and some cat treats were missing (they were on the invoice) - not really things I would expect people to stockpile!
I understand that it's thought that the virus lives longer on hard surfaces - up to 9 hours as opposed to 5 for soft surfaces.
I had a chuckle at a comment made by Naomi Campbell (a model) - she said that check in staff at airports should wear gloves - what difference would that make? As soon as they touched anything, there's be just as much chance of them spreading the virus as with bare hands - unless they put a clean pair on after each time they touched anything - or am I missing something?

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:01 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Yes and no
It’s about chain of transmission, not necessarily about touching your face but maybe touching another surface such as a cup or a glass
Not really sure where this idea that only face contact counts come from

Are you saying that your understanding is that it is actually contagious by touch but they're not telling us? It would explain why they do deep cleans of surfaces in places known to be exposed to people carrying the virus.

You say to avoid depositing the bugs onto a cup or glass, again implying contagious by others' touch, so when is it too late after that to wash hands? If it it contagious by touch the world's population is in big trouble.

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:10 pm

Pampy wrote:...[clip]...
... she said that check in staff at airports should wear gloves - what difference would that make? As soon as they touched anything, there's be just as much chance of them spreading the virus as with bare hands - unless they put a clean pair on after each time they touched anything - or am I missing something?

Exactly. Gloves might help the wearer, but only if the virus is contagious by touch. If it is, forget face masks and stockpile disposable gloves.

The problem seems to be that the experts don't really know hoping to learn more when they see what happens, so empirical, including as yet scant knowledge on whether one does become immune and if so for how long after catching and recovering from the virus and not then being a transmitter..

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox