Register

Panic buying

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Panic buying

Postby Binky » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:40 pm

According to the news this morning, the food items being bought in bulk are rice, spaghetti, pet food .....and pot noodles.

Do they even qualify as food?

Re: Panic buying

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:04 pm

Carbs and calories, fill up your tummy
That's food I reckon

But it seems people are stocking up as if they expect there to be cuts in services, pot noodles are great if the gas and electricity aren't working properly as you can have something hot just by heating a small pan of water somehow

I'd possibly be more inclined to go for imported foods, such as canned tomatoes and olive oil, in case the container ports close

Postby Suffs » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:49 pm

We're making sure we have plenty of steri milk, loo rolls and paracetamol ... just in case we're too poorly to go and get some.

Otherwise we always have a stash of pasta, tinned tomatoes, pulses etc , and peas, chicken and fish in the freezer so we're just keeping those things topped up. Having grown up on a very rural farm, with only one driver in the family, I'm used to keeping a good store cupboard and I reckon we could always live for at least a fortnight without shopping if we had to. At the moment we could live for a while on rhubarb and white sprouting broccoli from the garden ... but we would probably make considerable inroads into the loo roll stash :shock:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:33 pm

Binky wrote:pot noodles. Do they even qualify as food?

Didn't I read somewhere that Pot Noodles are made out of recycled Weetabix boxes?

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:12 pm

Pet food, tinned tomatoes, bread mixes, loo rolls, Strepsils, on top of my well filled larder and two freezers.

We could live on marmalade if necessary. And tuna pasta bake.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Clearly when faced with the decision whether to go into Watford for some panic buying or be on the safe side and stay at home, everyone has clearly decided on the latter, so I leisurely panic bought 2 kilos of basmati rice.

Postby Suffs » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:18 pm

OH went to the supermarket and found there was no steri milk on the shelves ... I may have to return to keeping a goat ...

Postby jeral » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:47 am

Suffs, goat curry is quite popular so you'd better not let any newly acquired goat stray far from your sight ;)

As an admitted stockpiler who succumbs to buying packs of three or four when cheaper, I doubt I'll be queueing any time soon, at least until my cupboards etc stop bulging at the seams.

Silly panic buying is doubly daft as it just means that prices will go up irrespective of supply implications, creating a new "normal price" :(

Or, looked at another way, it's as well we panic bought at Brexit so won't get hit now :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:50 am

Postby dennispc » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:16 am

Not sure I’d call it panic buying or being sensible. A couple of weeks ago when gale force winds of 80 mph were forecast, we stocked up for a week in case it was too dangerous (for us) to go out.

With coronavirus, like many of you, we’re in the vulnerable category, makes sense to be well stocked with toilet rolls and tissues. Back pantry (broom cupboard) is always full though if things get serious it might lead to some interesting meals! With only a fridge/freezer there’s not a lot of room but we’ll buy extra mince and similar.

The bigger problem could be shops/supermarkets not opening because staff are off sick.

Loved the link Pepper.

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Love the Guardian article! It reminds me that many, many, many...years ago, my grandfather worked for the Manchester Guardian (as it was called then) and used to bring home unprinted paper which my grandmother cut into squares and when held together with string, was put in the outside toilet (yes, that many years ago!!) to be used. God, it was cold using the loo in winter!

Postby jeral » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:29 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Clearly when faced with the decision whether to go into Watford for some panic buying or be on the safe side and stay at home, everyone has clearly decided on the latter, so I leisurely panic bought 2 kilos of basmati rice.

I bought a 5kg bag of Tilda basmati (sitting in the wardrobe, lol) partly because it was much cheaper but also it was when Mamta said that aged rice was "a good thing", which as far as I could gather just meant old rather than a type. I suspect you'll get through your 2kgs quicker than I would so gis a shout if you need more ;)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:53 pm

I bought a pack of the "extra long" basmati rice a while back which was the best I've ever had. Unfortunately I didn't note the brand, and have since tried Kohinoor Extra Long which ends up too sodden, and Akash Extra Long (EDIT: no, it's VEETEE extra long...), of which one pack turned out really dry when cooked, and the current pack of it is still slightly too dry.

Maybe it was Laila or Tilda (or Akash...). Not tried the "extra aged" stuff.

Postby Suffs » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:32 pm

jeral wrote:Suffs, goat curry is quite popular so you'd better not let any newly acquired goat stray far from your sight ;)

When I had a small herd of dairy goats we reared the male kids for the local Indian restaurant owner. Nowadays my daughter’s in laws are from Antigua and she has learned to make an astounding ‘curry goat’ ... perhaps we should find room for a herd again :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:14 am

Buy a case of beer.
I read somewhere that the coronavirus is teetotal.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:16 am

In Tescos' last night it was clear that there had been some panic buying, mostly the usual suspects (toilet rolls primarily, I wouldn't notice a lack of hand sanitiser), but I was after washing up liquid, and that seems to have been in demand too, because I grabbed the last bottle. Maybe people think it's the same as hand sanitiser, even though all the advice on the telly has said that the sanitiser must contain at least 60% alcohol to be effective.

Maybe the gin aisle is empty too...

I must say that I'd rather run out of washing up liquid than beer, so maybe THAT's my panic buy as per KK's recommendation.

Postby scullion » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:25 pm

i bought vodka - it may not be over 60% but it's, undoubtedly, better than the antibacterial hand wash that had been emptied from the shelves in lidl - and i can use it to make kümmel, feuille de pêcher or preserve fruit with, etc, if it doesn't all get used on hands.
i may go back to lidl to get some of the 'on offer' corona beer that's not selling.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:43 pm

CORONA beer that's not selling

Ha! Maybe they should rename it. Suggestions please...

Postby scullion » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:10 pm

sudden death.jpg
sudden death.jpg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 7496 times

this was posted on the other board yesterday - don't you just love dark humour‽‽

Postby dennispc » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:41 pm

I bet Andrex are kicking themselves; for the past week their 16 pack toilet rolls have been on special offer at Waitrose. None left this morning, paracetamol and similar items the same and still no bread flour. I’ve got plenty. Didn’t bother looking for hand sanitisers as we’re relying on bars of soap. Public Health England doesn’t recommend face masks, so don’t plan on buying them.

Daughter and partner are in Fuerteventura, first thing they ordered were those Corona beers.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox