Register

Panic buying

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Panic buying

Postby Pampy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:40 pm

I bit the bullet this morning and ventured to the supermarket. If it looked full, I was going to leave it and go back when there were fewer people there but it was surprisingly devoid of crowds - unfortunately, also devoid of a lot of items but there was plenty of milk, bread, eggs, fresh fruit and veg. No fresh poultry at all. I'm sure we'll eventually get to the point where everyone's cupboards, fridges and freezers are full and stock levels in the shops start to stabilise.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:01 pm

I've got enough for 4 meals from the fridge.
Then I'll be attacking the freezer (which tends to be full of raw meat, raw prawns, rather than cooked meals). I think I've got a lasagne in there somewhere, so I'll make an inventory tomorrow am.

We've just Panic! moved money.
It wasn't easy. Tony just has a feeling that this institution might stop access to our funds. So we've gone in branch to close and move this specific account.
Pleased we did.
The cashier tried to stop us, told us to try and phone instead some weeks later. Rolled her eyes when Tony for insisting we close it today.

He just has an inkling that they might impede access. And we've got too much specifically in Coventry B Soc (although no more than £70K each).

Postby dennispc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:57 am

I like spelt bread. The crumb looks dense but loaf is quite light. As with sourdough it seems kinder on our digestive systems and my waist!

Postby Renee » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:30 am

I decided to drive to Waitrose yesterday, which is about 8 miles away, because I knew that Asda, Lidl and Sainsbury's would be busy. It was fairly quiet and I often had an aisle to myself, so was pleased that I went there. There were a few shortages, but I did manage to buy what I needed. The only flour available was spelt flour, so I bought the last two bags.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:39 pm

I indvertently ended up with a few bags of bread flour, probably about 4 which is double what I would normally store.
It happened because J and I were in different shops and both bought some.

Felt pretty guilty at the time but it's back to normal levels now.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:43 pm

In view of today’s recent news I’m predicting face masks are going to be in short supply again.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:46 pm

Still cna't get yeast or flour.

You have reminded me that I bought some quite expensive washable face masks that were supposed to be sent on the 28th.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:07 pm

herbidacious wrote:Still can't get yeast or flour.

I was bemoaning the same thing yesterday during the Zoom chat I was having with my Fitstep friends... I haven't been able to buy any flour since lockdown from my local Tesco store. At least 3 of the friends said they could get some from various farm shops... then daughter popped along to our local Londis store and came back with Heygates Fine Lady SR and Mathews Cotswold Plain flours ... both at £1.99 for 1.5Kg. There was also Organic flours too ;) I was astounded that these are available on my doorstep :thumbsup .

I was lucky enough to get a couple of boxes of instant yeast sachets just before lockdown took hold :thumbsup

Postby Amyw » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:48 pm

Really , I live in a small Devon town and we’ve been able to get flour for several weeks now . Have you tried asking on local to you FB groups for any suppliers ?

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:10 pm

A local bakery chain here is selling flour by the kilo, wholemeal and strong white.
They don't under normal circumstances but I suppose there is an excess at the moment.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Amyw wrote:Really , I live in a small Devon town and we’ve been able to get flour for several weeks now . Have you tried asking on local to you FB groups for any suppliers ?

I'm sorted now thanks :thumbsup but when you are shielding, it's getting to where the stocks are - daughter doesn't drive and public transport is out of the question at the moment.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:25 am

If I was still relying soley on Sainsburys click & collect for flour I would only have seen 1 bag so far since before lockdown.

As it is, I have been to M&S who usually have Allinsons in stock and someone bought me some as a present from Morrisons who have been wrapping their own from larger bags. Most of the local suppliers who do various boxes of fruit, veg, bread and groceries have had some - and yeast. Sainsburys have not been able to supply that either. I suspect it's different if you go into the shop. It's hard on those who haven't been allowed to go out though.

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:40 am

Tesco have been wrapping their own flour too and in my local one, they had their own brand plain flour too (the one that Sakkarin says can be used for bread). I've been on Lakeland's website today and they have various bread flours and Dove's Farm yeast and Vit. C. The Dove's Farm organic flour box seems to be available too. Booth's had a few different types of bread flour too, when I went last week.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:51 pm

We are still not going to shops, so just can't get it. We did manage to get some about 6 weeks ago, and not run out as only making one, max two, loaves a week, and yeast lasts a good while.

Can't get compost for love nor money round here though.

Postby Loulou » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Did a large online Tesco shop for my 98 year old MIL and her carer. MIL is a vegetarian and carer happy to eat veggie. Eggs were in short supply when I did the order over a week ago, and unfortunately no eggs were available at all it seems yesterday as none were delivered. No hand wash either? Luckily carer can order from the milkman for Tuesday.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:23 pm

herbidacious wrote:Can't get compost for love nor money round here though.

Nor here - but did manage to get a couple of bags last week - three times smaller size of what they usually sell, but the same price :evil: so you have to buy & pay much more - is that the supplier or the garden centre taking the p&ss.........?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:20 pm

Suddenly the high street stores here pall have 40 litre bags of multi-purpose potting compost - all the same brand I noticed

I went into the deli today and snagged a 500 gram pack of Fermipan yeast for £4.99, bbe April 2022

Postby ChinchillaLady » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:30 pm

Squires Kitchen had dried yeast available on line earlier in the week.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:22 pm

Talking of panic buying, how many of you stocked up on some sort of comfort food before lockdown that you haven't even looked at? I've got a 4 pack of Heinz and one tin of Campbells tomato soup that I thought would be lovely but that I haven't desired at all. They'll be useful next winter though.

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:06 pm

Eggs are funny here. If supermarkets have them, they're at twice the price, although corner shops have their usual ones at usual price. Maybe it is a transportation issue.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox