Register

Aubergine Parmigiana

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Aubergine Parmigiana

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:14 pm

I have two aubergines in the fridge and would like to try the parmigiana recipe.

I know someone here has cooked this recently (Sakkarin?) and wondered which recipe was used. Or if anyone has a favourite way of doing this and would like to share any tips e.g. should I fry the slices in oil or use a lightly oiled griddle pan?

Site Admin

Re: Aubergine Parmigiana

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:51 pm

I used Antonio's recipe (from his book not online):
https://www.antonio-carluccio.com/la_pa ... melanzane/

...but was alerted to the dish by Felicity's recipe:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... parmigiana

...however I used Mozzarella and Grana Padano instead of Fontina/Parmesan because I'm counting the pennies.

However at the moment I have some "Pizza Mozzarella" which was £1.49 for 400g from Lidl the other day which would have been perfect, it's not "milky" like the mozzarella that comes with liquid.

Postby Suffs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:10 pm

I made it yesterday using this recipe https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aube ... iana_57566

Simple and very good indeed. My only caveat is that the tomato sauce needed more than 15 mins to reduce to a thick consistency. My OH isn’t usually a huge fan of aubergine but he loved this and had second helpings.

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:38 pm

Thank you both.

We have a big chunk of mozzarella in the freezer, so I will use that with a bit of parmesan on the top of the dish.

Postby DEB » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:49 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:30 pm

I think my recipe is Elizabeth David’s

Similar to Donal’s as cooked by Suffolk but without the ricotta, just mozzarella
I use the wet stuff, but with that amount of intense tomato sauce there’s no point using the expensive stuff, supermarket own brand is ideal

I think Donal is a little optimistic cutting his aubergines to 5mm, mine are definitely a bit chunkier

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:25 pm

I cut the aubergines about 1/4" thick, brush them with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and bake them (covered) in the oven for about 20 minutes.
My basic tomato sauce is made with plenty of minced garlic, fresh tomatoes, diced fine, olive oil, basil leaves and salt. Sometimes I´ll just blend the whole lot before cooking and cook until it changes colour - about 20 minutes.
Olive oil on the bottom of the baking dish, then a slather of tomato sauce. A layer of aubergines, cover with tomato sauce, a layer of mozzarella, then repeat. the top layer is aubergines with tomato sauce.
On top of this, I mix parmesan ( or what ever I can get hold of!) with breadcrumbs; a generous layer. Bake in the oven until the top is browned.

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:33 pm

In the spirit of experimentation, I used two griddle pans. One is a Raymond Blanc with deep wide griddling 'lines' (on the right) and the other is a Circulon with a more shallow bottom (on the left).

There isn't much difference in price (both were around the £50 mark a few years ago) but I think I prefer the Raymond Blanc pan Image

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:08 pm

The results of the Raymond Blanc certainly look more appetising

Good old M’sieur Voila

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:51 pm

We've just eaten this dish. Really easy and satisfying. Next time I would have some good buttery garlic bread to hand.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:40 pm

:thumbsup

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox