Register

Ideas for Lemon and Chicken Legs

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: Ideas for Lemon and Chicken Legs

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:05 pm

I've almost typed Belarus a couple of times.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:58 am

Good looking dish you've made from Belarus ;)

I once had a glut of lemons before going away and quickly made preserved lemons a la Scullion way, quartered.
Locked in a cupboard for a month, and absolutely delicious when I returned. I was surprised how mellow they were.
The only problem was my hinge kilner jar mechanism rusted with the salt residue.

I've also tried olive oil as the preserver, but much prefer the salted version surprisingly. The lemons are delicious this way to me.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:40 am

I thought there was room for improvement, so even though it was only a couple of days ago, I made the chicken, lemon and olive dish again. Thank goodness I did, as this time it was much better than the last time. I think part of it was using all thighs instead of drumsticks, plus some particularly nice new cinnamon that I ground specially, and I removed the meat and gave the "sauce" a bit of a reduction before the final ovening, and maybe just generally a bit more attention to detail second time around. I may even have seasoned it better than last time. It is now a dish I'd share, yum.

EDIT: P.S. The recipe calls for feta as a garnish too, but I like it as it is.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:09 am

And I wonder, WHY would that need feta?
Looks pretty marvellous as it is!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:27 am

Really lovely, Sakkarin.

Postby Amyw » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:06 pm

That looks gorgeous . I always think it’s odd how many people dislike fruit and savoury together , I think they’re very well paired most of the time

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:55 pm

Me too Amy. I have a recipe somewhere for gently spiced chicken and peaches - yum!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks for the compliments!

Still got some lemon and some thighs so I'm going to make Sunflower's lemon chickn tonight, although I remember last time I made it I didn't like the custard powder, so I'll use all cornflour.

Oh dear, it looks like Sunflower's old website has been archived in a format which loses much of the original content, unless I'm looking at the wrong address...

http://sunflower-recipes.blogspot.com/2 ... icken.html

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:08 pm

'ere you go...
Sunflower’s Lemon Chicken

Cut boneless/skinless chicken breast/ thigh into chunks or thick slices. Marinate with some light soy, pinch of pepper and a little sesame oil. Leave aside for 30 minutes. Lightly dust each piece of chicken with cornflour. Shallow fry with few tbsp of oil till caramelised and crispy. Fry the chicken in batches.

Next make the lemon sauce. Mix few tbsp of fresh lemon juice and some water. Mix in about 2 tsp cornflour till dissolve. Then mix in some sugar, light soy sauce or oyster sauce. Cook this sauce till thicken. Stir in or pour over the fried chicken. If you like the sauce spicy add in some chilli sauce. If you like the sauce looks yellowish sub cornflour with custard flour or sub some of the water with orange squash.

Decorate with thin slices of lemon.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:33 am

I remember now why I don't make Sunflower's lemon chicken more often (last time was a year ago) - it ruins the oil as you end up with half an inch of cornflour in the bottom of the pan :-(

Tastes good though, and another to add to my square piccies collection...

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox