Register

The truth about Takeaways

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

The truth about Takeaways

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:32 pm

Beating Mark to the punch, this is on tonight on BBC1 at 8.00. Could be interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000fs5n

Site Admin

Re: The truth about Takeaways

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:38 pm

The usual pointlessly tiny samples of teenagers to test their theories. There were some good points made, but I've forgotten most of them!

There was a porky takeaway-addicted family that were put on proper food for a fortnight, but you could tell that they'd be back on the takeaways within 48 hours.

There was a brief section where they went into one of those Über takeaway mini factories I mentioned in another thread, not really much said, just the presenter cooing over a vegan Thai meal, saying "this is the first time I've had tofu".

They also featured a discussion with a lady who dishes out the 0 to 5 food hygiene ratings that takeaways get, it was shocking how dreadful they could be to get a zero rating, yet still remain open and in business. There was one with rat poo smeared across the main worktop, and one with mouldy cutting boards that were being used to prepare food on.

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:00 pm

When we left school, I went into the Civil Service and OH had his first career as a Public Health Officer (later Environmental Health Officer). He did his degree at Leeds University.

The stories he came home with - many appalling for their total ignorance and lack of concern for hygiene and cross-contamination - would make your hair curl. Dirty nappies steeping in a bowl next to salad, blood dripping from raw meat onto desserts on the fridge shelf below, rat droppings, accumulations of grease etc. etc. That's why we don't, and never have, eaten takeaway garbage.

Postby Renee » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:30 am

There are probably some people who can't be educated sadly. It sounds horrendous Binky.

Postby dennispc » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:31 am

At least with fish and chips they are cooked in front of you. Chinese is about the only takeaway we've ever had, and not done that for years. The one we used had been in the town for a long time so hope they were up to scratch.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:14 pm

The thing is they must vary

There’s a pan-Asian restaurant next door, I think a good half of their trade is delivery, I can and do walk unexpectedly into their kitchen and I’m quite happy to eat the food they produce

But I probably wouldn’t eat anything from the takeaway my neighbour recommends

Postby jeral » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:23 pm

A fairly routine programme like this comes along every two or three years and to be fair probably is new to some if they have a mind to watch them and take notice. No shockers really, although incorrect assumptions about plant-based foods is a new thing - i.e. don't just assume this and that.

I seem to recall that a diner could ask to see the kitchen in any restaurant, presumably before eating. Did I dream that?

Postby Renee » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:08 pm

I vaguely remember that, jeral, but I doubt if restaurant owners would want diners traipsing in and out of their kitchens when very busy.

Postby Binky » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:30 pm

You can always look on the Food Standards Agency website.

We only 5star rated restaurants and pubs. It's not hard to achieve that level of hygiene, so any lesser a score immediately puts us off.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox