Register

New gravy technique

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

New gravy technique

Postby Binky » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:35 pm

Well, new to me at least. This is probably old hat to many of you but it was a revelation to us this lunchtime.

Having decided on a traditional roast chicken lunch today, I was tasked with making the yorkshire puddings, the creme caramel for dessert, and the all-important gravy.

We usually use a Knorr stock pot and let the meat juices cool down in the fridge. This causes the fat to solidify at the top and can be easily removed before making the gravy. Didn't have time for all that today so I placed the pyrex jug of fat/juices into a bowl of cold water. The fat remained fluid but the meat juices formed a delightful gel. This meant that I could pour away the fat, leaving the jellified good stuff to put in my gravy pan.
Result! :klingonbanana

Re: New gravy technique

Postby Renee » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:46 pm

That's good Binky. The meat juices are the best part of the gravy.

I put sliced shallots under the chicken to give more flavour to the juices. I remove the chicken, tip the roasting pan up and remove some of the fat which collects on top. I pour some hot water on to the roasting pan and using a whisk, stir up what's left including the bits stuck on the bottom. I put some cold water in a small saucepan, add some plain flour, stir with a whisk and then pour the juices and hot water from the roasting pan into the saucepan. I've started using some Knorr Concentrated Chicken Stock as well, which is in a small bottle. The ingredients are really good.

Postby Pampy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:37 am

Another way of separating fat from the juices is to drop in a few ice cubes - the fat solidifies and you can just lift it out. Don't do it as soon as the roasting pan comes out of the oven, otherwise the ice cubes could melt before the fat's solidified.
You can also buy separators https://www.lakeland.co.uk/26390/OXO-Go ... tor-Cup-1L

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:24 am

I use a gravy separator, ice speeds it up but not usually necessary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02i2AYeXLLM

Postby Renee » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:49 am

I love that Oxo fat separator and a good price too. I used to have one many years ago, the that design is so much better.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:51 pm

I lost the little rubber stopper, but I’ve just found a bottle stopper that fits :klingonbanana

You can use it without, but it works better with.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:56 am

I've got a fragile glass German one, that I bought myself with my mum's birthday money.
I'm frightened of chipping it, but it's probably tougher glass than I would imagine.

Nice tip tho, Binky.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:06 pm

Wouldn't you have had to use particularly gelatinous bones/carcasses etcetera for the non-fat bit to gel in just cold water?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Wouldn't you have had to use particularly gelatinous bones/carcasses etcetera for the non-fat bit to gel in just cold water?

I understood Binky to be talking about the natural juices from the bird - what my mum always called the "God's gravy" and that sets pretty solid in my experience as soon as cool

Gillthepainter wrote:I've got a fragile glass German one, that I bought myself with my mum's birthday money.
I'm frightened of chipping it, but it's probably tougher glass than I would imagine.

Nice tip tho, Binky.

I wonder if it is made out of the same thin glass as some lab ware? almost light bulb thin, but tough as old boots, even survives junior technicians. I have seen kitchen ware made out of it, notably oil and vinegar dispensers for the table,

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Ah, I was confusing stock with pan juices.

Postby Binky » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:23 pm

StokeySue is correct - it's juices from the bird. Sets like a lovely wobbly jelly when cooled. Fat on top of jelly is still warm, so pours away easily. No need for fat separators or ice cubes.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox