Register

Who else makes marmalade?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Who else makes marmalade?

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:58 pm

I know Joan does and I've been making it for over forty years. This is fun.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/f ... althy-life

Re: Who else makes marmalade?

Postby cherrytree » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:28 pm

I make marmalade every year. I use Felicity Cloake’s Guardian recipe. The correspondence in the Guardian these last few weeks has been most entertaining.

Postby Binky » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:15 pm

We make marmalade, but use a tin of Mamade and only a quarter of the sugar suggested.

It keeps in the fridge about 4-6 weeks.

Postby Wic » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 pm

I make our marmalade, too. I didn’t until about 8 years ago when we spent the winter in Spain. Seville oranges were on the trees in the garden and it seemed a shame not to use them, so we did. Since then I’ve kept on doing it because if we ever run out, bought marmalade just isn’t the same.

Just before last Christmas we were at that point, I thought we had one more jar that would last us till Waitrose had the Sevilles in again, but I couldn’t find it. (It was hidden in plain sight, as it happens). So I used the clementines in the fruit bowl and a couple of lemons and made a couple of jars on Christmas Eve. It was almost nicer than the Seville! Then we found Sevilles in Waitrose at new year, so I made some more. Now we are marmaladed up to the hilt.

I do find though, that however many times I do it, I'm always fraught Because I never quite expect it to work. I’ve no idea why!

Postby Renee » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:37 pm

I made it for many years, mostly for my ex-husband but don't bother now. He once commented on one that he thought was better than the rest and it was one that I thought I'd overcooked! I don't bother now though.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:09 am

I make marmalade, although I´m never sure of being able to find real, Seville oranges. What the heck; I use what ever oranges I can find and add more/less lemons.
I use Ian in France´s recipe - with a tweak or two. Never fails, even with the tweak.

Postby scullion » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:06 am

i do, too. have done since i was a student, when the grocer on the corner used to give me a load of fruit at the end of the week - a nice young man!
he kept our flat in marmalade, jam and chutney.

Postby dennispc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:37 pm

Made it for many years until a couple of years ago when life got in the way. Then realised we didn't eat as much marmalade as previously and neither did our families, thus didn't want jars. The advantage of buying them is we get a wider choice. :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:38 pm

I almost bought some marked-down marmalade oranges in Tesco a couple of weeks ago, but I remembered my previous abject failure at marmalade making and didn't bother :-(

Postby DEB » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:16 pm

I make marmalade but use a odd recipe in which I prepare the fruit, squeese, slice the oranges etc. Then I use a pressure cooker to soften the rind using about a third of the normal amount of water, it take 15min on high usually. I do not add it to the sugar until it is soft since it will not sofen once in sugar.
This method meant I can make a batch of 12 to 15 jars in an afternoon.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:15 am

I have a 20yr old recipe card that I follow.
But only tend to make the odd jar of jam (or marmalade) nowadays, rather than big batches.

Postby Renee » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:43 am

I always followed Delia's recipe, but the last time I followed another method which I preferred. i think it involved boiling the oranges whole.

Postby Linnet » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:39 pm

I make the family supply every year for those who eat it, usually about 40 lbs of the stuff, thought I don't eat much myself. Started years ago because my late husband loved it, and found a lot of the commercial ones too sweet. Problem now is trying to get them to return the jars for the next year...

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox