Register

Supermarket Sushi

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Supermarket Sushi

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:11 am

It´s been years since I was last in a British Supermarket, so I can´t really offer any thoughts.
I had some In Kroger´s Supermarket in Cincinnati last year - pretty good, I suppose; at least I could taste the fish.
The offerings in Mexico City, however, were dire. Far too much topping, far too little fish, far too complicated, and bathed in violently hot sauce.
The hot sauce; I love it - but not on Sushi. I´ll stick with the wasabi!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:20 am

I cannot work out if those fried tofu pockets need cooking. I presume not tho.
As you say, chilli sauce is just wrong, Clive.

My friend went to our Yo Sushi with 3 people. After grabbing this and that, 2 bottles of prosecco.
Her bill came to £250.
And she was still hungry.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:33 am

£250? Good grief. That's my food and drink bill for two months.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:49 am

I know!
When we go to our Thai we have bottled beers (2 or 3 each), a shared platter starter for 2, 3 x mains and noodles.
And spend about £65 or so.

Postby Renee » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:32 pm

Well I never! I called in my local Sainsbury's and they do indeed have a Sushi place now. I was tempted by the gourmet selection which comprised of 5 salmon maki, 5 tuna maki and 5 cucumber maki. They were all very small and about half the size of the ones that I used to make. I picked up some sachets of wasabi and Japanese soy sauce. The fish was raw, thank goodness and just tiny pieces. I made extra dip when I arrived home, adding Kikkoman soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. I did enjoy them and there was enough for a light lunch, but I'll be making my own next time at that price.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:20 pm

There was a promotion outside Tesco just now for a new range of vegan japanesey/koreany products, by Oceans Halo.

Inside the store, there was a new section with the products in, so I had a look, and the one that caught was "non-soy soy". There was an Ocean's Halo bloke filling the shelves, so the conversation went like tghis...

"What's wrong with soy?"
"Nothing, but they're vegan products"
"But soy's vegan..."
"Yes, but we use seaweed instead - check out the stall outside and have a taste, we do a vegan ramen broth, that's the main product - and seaweed nori sheet, and a vegan korean barbecue sauce. We're selling it at half price out there..."
"But even at half price it's twice the price of my normal Lee Kum Kee soy..."

So I went outside and had a little tub of noodles with some reconstituted veg and broth, and added a bit of the "non-soy soy" (not doing my usual tasting trick of putting some on the back of my hand and licking it off).

Hmm. The blandest noodles I've ever tried (the instant type), but I don't think that was what they were selling, but the broth. Sadly that was the blandest noodle broth I've ever tasted too!

The "non-soy soy tasted seaweedy. Not sure what the point was, why not sell it as a seaweed condiment. Maybe it's a low salt thing.

EDIT: Correction: They WERE promoting the noodles too. Rubbish.

https://oceanshalo.com/all-products/

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:36 pm

Someone should have told Mr Oceans Halo that non-soy soy sauce is invaluable to those with soy allergy, which is not at all rare and can be really nasty. Otherwise pretty pointless. I agree.

I can see. the point of “vegetarian oyster sauce” which is in fact quite nice. Suits both vegetarians and allergy sufferers.

Postby jeral » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 pm

<- What Stokey Sue said re soy.

I wondered if the "star" noodles might be gluten-free, but no, organic wheat. In fact, it's staggering that all the ingredients are quoted as organic. I do believe they think they are but whether I trust certifications from suppliers is another matter. Top marks though for hook, line and sinker rather than just an organic main ingredient. https://oceanshalo.com/products/big-bowl-of-noodles/

Re blandness, a jar of that ridiculously hot chilli oil usually fixes that; some drizzle it on liberally :shock:

Postby Otterspocket » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:26 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I cannot work out if those fried tofu pockets need cooking. I presume not tho.
As you say, chilli sauce is just wrong, Clive.

My friend went to our Yo Sushi with 3 people. After grabbing this and that, 2 bottles of prosecco.
Her bill came to £250.
And she was still hungry.

I find that really hard to believe - the Prosecco would be £50 of that so means between them they had about 35 small plates ? That’s a lot of food - my husband and I can barely manage 10 between us when starving

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox