Register

Halloumi

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Halloumi

Postby Rainbow » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:17 am

Stokey Sue wrote:
I think the origin of halloumi ’s really contentious - I know the Cypriots claim it but if you travel round the eastern Mediterranean coast, as Rick Stein did, say from Split to Member 461 you get white cheese (peak form feta) and yellow cheese (peak form kashkaval) all the way and halloumi all along the southern third. Certainly a thing in Syria and Lebanon, the most prominent UK maker is a Syrian woman.

I could also make a case for Cyprus being part of the Middle East! ;)

I don't think my Greek-Cypriot friends over here would like that last statement! :lol: :lol:

But you have a good point. It is certainly much closer to Syria, Lebanon and Turkey than it is to Greece ;)

Postby Amyw » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:51 pm

smitch wrote:My OH was out last night so I decided to treat myself to halloumi and mushrooms, two things he hates.

I fried peppers, spring onions, mushrooms and halloumi cubes, added a pouch of rice with pumpkin seeds from Aldi and stirred through some zhoug paste and a bit of hot sauce.

I had intended it to make two meals but I accidentally ate it all :oops:

That sounds delicious Smitch . I quite like the pouches of rice /other grains . Some might say a bit lazy I guess but good for cooking for one as when I cook rice , it’s normally enough to cook for a village . I also think they’re nice healthy shortcut . What is zhoug please , not come across that one

Postby smitch » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:48 pm

I find the pouches of rice really handy. I actually really struggle with cooking rice, never seem to get it right at all.

This is the zhoug I have https://www.belazu.com/shop/zhoug-paste-170g

I got it on offer from Ocado.

It is really good with one pot meals like the one I had the other day. I’ve also used it is breakfast potato hash type things.

Postby Renee » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:00 am

That's the one that I've got Smitch and thanks very much for the link to the website. I hadn't realised that it could be used in so many ways.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:34 am

The Belazu zhoug is probably the most freely obtainable. The first I encountered was this one, which I still buy

https://www.terra-rossa.com/extra-virgi ... 0Zhoug.pdf

Postby Amyw » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks smitch

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox