Register

Halloumi

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Halloumi

Postby Amyw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Tried it once, didn't like it , then bit the billet and had it again at Nandos las week in a Pitma bread with a grilled portobello mushroom and chilli jam and loved it .

I've bought some today from Marks with the plan being to serve with roasted Mediterranean veg, but does anyone else have any favourite uses for it please

Re: Halloumi

Postby scullion » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:47 pm

i think the main ones, are grilled or fried.
i do like it 'uncooked' but then i rather liked the feeling of chewing rubber bands, when i was a kid, too!

Postby Renee » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:57 pm

I've never done that Scullion! :lol: :lol:

I didn't like it the first time that I tried it also, but have enjoyed it the last two times that I tried it. I can't just remember what I had it with, so am looking forward to recommendations here, because I do have some in the fridge.

I've just remembered that my friend Sue had it at the gym with quinoa, poached egg and spinach. It looked good.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Nigella does a good one with chilli.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/halloumi-with-chilli

Nisha Parmar at our gym who is a Masterchef semi-finalist uses halloumi a lot. The club website is down at the moment (quelle surprise) but I'll try and grab a menu when I'm in tomorrow.

My kids always buy a 4 pack at Costco whenever they have a barbecue. It's a must sliced and griddled.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:05 pm

I like it grilled on top of stuffed veg.

Have had a go at making it. Would do so again, got the texture right but it needed more salt and mint. There's a recipe for marinated Halloumi in one of the Delia books, the Summer one presumably.

Postby Renee » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 pm

That's interesting Badger's Mate. I shall probably continue to buy mine, because I've had quite enough of food experiments over the years!! Age is probably coming into it now!

Postby jeral » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:39 pm

I normally eat halloumi with a cold meze of usual suspects like humous, olives, sundried toms etc. I grill or dry-fry slices quickly on high heat to brown although just on one side so not too chewy.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:41 pm

No Halloumi over here, but there´s plenty of white cheese, Typically, a fried cheese would be something like Halloumi, however - and usually served with breakfast.

Postby Amyw » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:02 pm

Thanks all , I grilled it last night and it came out just as I liked it , golden brown but with the right balance of chewiness with a bit of meltiness . I had with roasted courgettes, peppers, mushroom and onions in a pitta with some garlic chilli and lemon mayo

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:51 pm

Jolly good :) I reckon halloumi is better finished quickly once the packet is opened or it loses its freshness. karadekoolaid mentioned breakfast, not sure with what else, although it does go well with dippy egg.

Postby Renee » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks PP! I rather like Nigella's way with the Halloumi cheese and chilli oil, also her courgette fritters.

Postby Amyw » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:12 pm

Oh they sound good Renee, I like most of Nigellas recipes too

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:47 am

For breakfast, Jeral, we might have "fried cheese" with black beans, an egg (any way you like) , some bacon and, for those who can take it early in the morning, "carne mechada" ( shredded beef with onions, peppers and tomato).

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:19 am

Haloumi is Middle Eastern
For a basic Middle East breakfast you have cheese, flat bread, tomato, cucumber, za’atar, honey, yogurt. Optionally some kind of onion and sausage

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:38 am

Aldi, and I think other supermarkets, have Halloumi fries in their freezer section. The Aldi ones aren't very nice.

Postby smitch » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:11 pm

My OH was out last night so I decided to treat myself to halloumi and mushrooms, two things he hates.

I fried peppers, spring onions, mushrooms and halloumi cubes, added a pouch of rice with pumpkin seeds from Aldi and stirred through some zhoug paste and a bit of hot sauce.

I had intended it to make two meals but I accidentally ate it all :oops:

Postby Renee » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:41 pm

I like the sound of your meal, smitch. You've just reminded me about zhoug paste, because I bought some a while ago and forgot about it!

Postby Rainbow » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:42 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Haloumi is Middle Eastern
For a basic Middle East breakfast you have cheese, flat bread, tomato, cucumber, za’atar, honey, yogurt. Optionally some kind of onion and sausage

I believe it originated in Cyprus. They tried to copyright the cheese but failed because the Cypriot government could not get their act together!!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:47 pm

Cheese salad for breakfast!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:00 pm

Not exactly cheese salad as arranged and eaten, but I suppose it has all the components. Basically fresh bread and everything that can be put on the table without cooking

I think the origin of halloumi ’s really contentious - I know the Cypriots claim it but if you travel round the eastern Mediterranean coast, as Rick Stein did, say from Split to Alexandrïa you get white cheese (peak form feta) and yellow cheese (peak form kashkaval) all the way and halloumi all along the southern third. Certainly a thing in Syria and Lebanon, the most prominent UK maker is a Syrian woman.

I could also make a case for Cyprus being part of the Middle East! ;)

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox