Register

The Guardian's Twenty best potato recipes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

The Guardian's Twenty best potato recipes

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Re: The Guardian's Twenty best potato recipes

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Ooooh lovely dishes . I think my favourite potato fish has to be roasties but I like mine almost overcooked so they’re very crunchy . The baby potatoes with peas and mint look very springlike and I like Nigel Slaters Comte potatoes , I think any kind of potato gratin is very decadent .

Hasselback potatoes are nice too and look quite fancy if you’re cooking for others . I also used to quite like boiled new potatoes fried with lots of garlic bacon lardons and mushrooms sprinkled with parsley . Good with a fried egg

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:37 pm

Yes, those look very good mostly

I was much amused that Ina Garten chose hasselback potatoes as typical London food for one of her programs, of course they come from Stockholm and I've always associated them in London with Anna Hegarty's Anna's Place restaurants (she is Swedish), ate them at her first pocket sized restaurant in Islington around 40 years ago

So many other dishes, Felicity has been playing with aligot, then there's rostil and all the Irish things

Intrigued that no less a person than Nieves Barragan says you can put chorizo and lots of other things into a tortilla!

Postby Meganthemog » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:29 pm

Hasselback potatoes are now known in our house as Baywatch potatoes since my sister got the name wrong!

Postby cherrytree » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:53 am

I’m intrigued, Stokey Sue about where you mention Felicity and aligot. As someone who sounds much of her life in the aligot centre of France I’d like to read what the wonderful Felicity says.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:03 am

Coming soon I think, she often posts pictures of her test recipes on Instagram, and recently she hS posted a few versions of alight, including one she successfully served at a dinner party

The challenge seemed to be finding a cheese we can use in the U.K. if we don’t live within walking distance of La Fromagerie (she does, so do I, the rest of you not so much I think)

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:41 am

My first thought when I saw this yesterday was 'I wonder if they've got Hasselbacks on the list'

I guess there are so many good ways to cook potatoes. Well made roasties must be up there. We love bubble & squeak, or at least a mixture of mashed spud and leftover cooked veg subsequently browned. On the subject of offending purists, I've noticed that 'Dauphinoise potatoes' have become very popular. These being boiled potatoes baked in a dish with cream, garlic and cheddar. Such a thing would surely have given some folk on the BBC boards an attack of the vapours.

It's an interesting list with several dishes I haven't tried.

Postby cherrytree » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:09 pm

Elizabeth David suggests Caerphilly . I usually use that and a bit of gruyere to make it stretchy if I’ve run out of tomme fraiche that I keep in the freezer. I can’t wait to see her ‘perfect’ column on this.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:49 pm

I find the style of #12, Jess Murphy's Hash, rather annoying
Lastly, add your black pudding, you want delicious pieces of it in your hash

Your black pudding, your apples, your onions.

The will do

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:01 pm

Wonderful article!
I just wish I had a better choice of potatoes over here; we get "yellow" or "white" spuds, and that´s about it!
I was particularly intrigued by:
1) The Confit potatoes. Looks like a lot of hard work, but I bet they taste fantastic.
2) Meera Sodha´s Saag Aloo with chard. A very colourful offering!
3) The gnocchi. It´s always good to find a twist on the original.
4) The Llapingachos. I once ate them for breakfast when I was in Quito, and they´re normally prepared with "rallado" - just plain, grated white cheese.I think I´d use a Lancashire or Caerphilly instead of the cheddar.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:08 pm

Have not been tempted to make it again since!

That was the one I was going to try. :roll:

Postby Amyw » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:12 pm

I didn’t like the sound of those potatoes at all especially when it said the potatoes retain a slight crunch . I hate undercooked potatoes with a passion

Postby Pampy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:15 pm

I love Janssen's Temptation but don't often make it - mainly because I make it in large quantities and then eat the lot in one sitting!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:32 pm

"Eat the lot in one sitting" Ha! That applies to practically every comfort food I enjoy!

I'm going to try the Llamathingys.

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:02 pm

Recipe #4
What do you see? Two male figurines or a tray of crushed potatoes?

I suspect these boiled then crushed and baked spuds might take a lot of chewing. Probably OK if you bite the heads off first ;)

Postby Amyw » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:32 pm

Squashed potatoes are just slightly beaten up roasties really . The fact you crush them so there’s more rough edges means they tend to go nice and crispy

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:07 am

Well I had a go at the Llapingachos, and there were definitely some great flavours going on, and contrary to my expectation the second oniony "side" of the pickled onion WASN'T onion overkill with the oniony salsa, but the fritters themselves met the same fate as my first attempt at Felafel, which was to start to melt into an oily mess. I saved them just before they disintegrated, but they were very sloppy.

I had a small amount of everything left, with three extra fritters, so I had another go, flouring them more. Slightly better, but still not very pretty. Oh well.

Which piccy should I keep, version 1 on the white plate or version 2 on the purple plate?

Or throw them both out, as they look nothing like the crispy brown ones on the Guardian webpage.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:09 am

jeral wrote:Recipe #4
What do you see? Two male figurines or a tray of crushed potatoes?

Can I have of what you're on Jeral? :D Can't for the life of me see anything other than what they are!

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:49 am

Pampy, monitor settings might colour the images differently, however, on the right is a man with a hook nose and down-turned mouth, complete with belly and legs, looking at the man on the left in a beret type hat with an upturned collar and wearing a medallion sash across his chest.

The image completely distracted me from the recipe, although I still reckon that cooked for as long as the recipes says, they'll be tough not crispy. S'pose I ought to prove it by trying them.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox