Register

rice

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: rice

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:44 pm

I think it's really hard to explain why you like or dislike a food
You can go for generalisations - I like cheese because it's extremely savoury for example, but I don't really like the odour of fresh milk - but in the end you either like the combination of flavours and textures or you don't

I can explain what I dislike about zabaglione - to me it's and unfortunate combination of half cooked wine and half raw egg - but nobody who likes the horrible stuff would recognise that description. And before anyone claims I'd like it if they made it, probably not, I've had it made by good Italian chefs, it's the dish itself I dislike, not one bad example

Postby Wic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:59 pm

If you say you don’t eat something there is always someone who says, 'Ah, but have you tried it such and such a way'. I don’t eat eggs on their own, or in quiches, for example, but I’m ok with cakes etc. I wish I could but my digestion seems sensitive to them and, possibly because of that, I find the smell very unpleasant. Generally I can avoid even mentioning it, but the suggestions always come up if I have to. I know people are trying to be helpful, but I think that they should remember that I have had all my life to try and cope with this and I’ve almost certainly tried everything!

Postby dennispc » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Risotto isn’t top my list of favourite meals, but happily eat if OH cooks as she stands there making sure she gets it right. Never order it in a restaurant.

Postby Rainbow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:39 am

Stokey Sue wrote:
But if you like drier dishes then there are all the variations on pilaff / pilau, which range from almost plain to something that's a meal with a small salad. Or ramping up a level biriyani, which can be as simple or as complicated as you like. Plenty of ideas on Mamta’s website

Peas (red beans or pigeon peas or black beans) and rice. Can be a side dish or I like it as a simple meal with a salad including avocado

Kedgeree (with smoked haddock) or its Indian cousin khichri made with lentils.

Sue, I do like pilaff/pilau and biriyani - I just mentioned fried rice as an example of drier dishes I prefer and I was just being lazy about typing more!

And I agree, it's very hard to say why exactly you like/dislike a dish - just a very personal thing.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:48 am

Yes, there are some dishes I'd simply put into the category of I'd rather not. I don't dislike them, but I wouldn't cross the road for it.
Sausages, or pies for example. If Tony nags me enough, we'll have them.

Biryani however, is absolutely delicious.
Rice pudding I used to make as a student. I adored it.

I made the fried rice last evening. Lovely, thank you Binky for the suggestion. I didn't have any peas in the freezer, so zero green colour in there ;)

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:14 pm

I really like fried rice . It’s a great vehicle for when you have to clean out those fridge kind of days . I used to add ham/bacon in my meat eating days and finely sliced spring onions are nice too .

It is very interesting I think the discussion of why we like and dislike certain foods . Sometimes I think it can be based on memories , good or bad and that nostalgia factor . There are also foods like Gil and rice that I never used to like but now do such as olives . Whether that’s down to the palate evolving maybe

Postby Rainbow » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:36 am

Amyw wrote:It is very interesting I think the discussion of why we like and dislike certain foods . Sometimes I think it can be based on memories , good or bad and that nostalgia factor . There are also foods like Gil and rice that I never used to like but now do such as olives . Whether that’s down to the palate evolving maybe

I'm sure associated memories play a part. I remember as a young child having thick pea and ham soup and then throwing up. It wasn't the soup that made me ill, but I could never eat it after that, and the smell...................!!

Olives and other savoury tastes I would agree are due to the palate evolving. But the children of Greek friends loved olives from whenever they were old enough to eat them :lol:
I tried them quite a few times as a child as my parents loved them, but I thought they were awful!! Same with wine!! My tastes have definitely changed :lol: :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:43 pm

I too used to wonder why everyone raved about risotto ... so I tried it in a restaurant and still didn't 'get' it.

Then I bought an Instant Pot and thought I would try cooking my own risotto in that .. it is one of the most popular dishes requested, tried and recommended on the facebook group - and I am now converted. I know risotto aficionados (PP for instance ;) ) cringe at the very thought of just minimal prep and then leaving the IP to do it's thing, but it's certainly a winner for me. :thumbsup

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:55 pm

I love pea and ham soup, it reminds me of my paternal grandparents, sitting on Grandad's lap and eating some of his soup that Grandma had cooked.

I used to retch at the sight, smell and thought of dates. Mum used to love those 'Eat Me' ones in the oval boxes that we got at Christmas. I've got over that one. Obviously like many children I hated cabbage and all its relatives (except cauliflower) - broccoli hadn't been invented in those days and Dad didn't grow PSB on his allotment, although in later years he really loved it when I grew it on mine. Oddly perhaps it was spring greens that finally got me into eating green brassicas.

There are very few things I don't like now, generally they're very bitter, very sweet, or goaty

Postby scullion » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:57 pm

the best thing about risotto is leaving it until the next day and making arancini with it.
i, too, find it a waste of calories in its unchanged state.

biryani and paella would be my suggestions to the list.

Postby Amyw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:08 pm

I was just coming on this thread because I remembered Arancini . One of the items I always order if I see it on a menu . Even better with a nugget of mozzarella or other cheese in the middle .

Postby scullion » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:44 pm

Amyw wrote: Even better with a nugget of mozzarella or other cheese in the middle .

i think that's a given - couldn't imagine it any other way!

Postby dennispc » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Rice pudding - only Delia's one with eggs will do! Choice of golden syrup or a red jam. When the kids were around Bird's custard was certainly a good addition.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox