Register

As we’re talking Aldi and Lidl

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

As we’re talking Aldi and Lidl

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:53 pm

Could I have your wine/beer/spirits recommendations from these two stores please?

Re: As we’re talking Aldi and Lidl

Postby Suelle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:15 pm

The Guardian Food magazine (Saturday) often recommends Aldi wines. I've bought several on their recommendation and haven't been disappointed yet.

I bought, but haven't yet tried, the most recent one I saw - a Vinho Verdi from Portugal for less than £5.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby cherrytree » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:22 pm

We had the Master of Wine from Lidl come to speak at our wine society meeting a couple of years ago . He was very interesting and knowledgable. It’s certainly worth looking at their quarterly wine special events.
Fiona Becket the wine columnist for the Guardian often mentions Aldi and Lidl in her Saturday piece. We still haven’t looked for the Vino Verde Suelle!

Postby cherrytree » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:37 pm

I think Aldi and Lidl have distinct differences when it comes to food offers. Lidl seem to have far more special food weeks- Italy , Spain, USA for instance when one can pick up continental rarities. Their in store bakery is much better than Aldi- nobody can beat them for croissants for example. Their Greek yoghurt is divine.
Aldi (for us anyway) is much more consistently reliable for regular food items and I think their fruit and veg are better. Their orange juice is delicious.
Both are good for wines but Lidl makes a much better effort displaying their classy stuff.

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:46 pm

I used to buy Disaronno from Lidl, although supermarkets might well be cheaper when on offer for seasonal holidays.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:10 pm

A while ago Stokey Sue pointed me in the direction of the Aldi Picpoul de Pinet. Difficult to find but jolly good.

Postby Amyw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:17 pm

I really need to investigate Aldi and Lidl more . We have a Lidl up the road and Aldi about 15 minutes drive away . I always found Lidls chocolate very good and reasonably priced

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:49 am

Aldi, I find, is better for wine than Lidl

Never had anything from Aldi’s premium range, the “Exquisite Collection” that wasn’t a good example of its type. I specially like the Picpoul de Pinet (not always available, it sells out)

Postby dennispc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:42 pm

We went to Aldi on Sunday - basically our normal weekend shop - at Cullompton Devon. Not my favourite place because its car park is far too small, particularly with H&M next door.

Amongst our purchases was some par baked ciabatta, which we had for lunch with Leek and Potato soup. Good quality fresh fruit, veg and salad. Bread mostly sliced and soft. Usual irritation of them being out of stuff we wanted.

The one at Honiton has a much better car park but a bit too far.

Taunton has a new one on the Bridgwater Road, decent car park and well stocked store.

There’s a Lidl in Taunton but wasn’t impressed, though bread was good. Rumour has it there’s a new Lidl coming to the outskirts of our town. We’ll give it a try if it happens.

Do any of you remember the budget supermarket Norman’s? Probably the first cardboard box one. Basic shelving and the floor covered with opened boxes. Every Friday night after work we went to the one in Tiverton - filled up two large trolleys. Needed for three teenagers!

Postby scullion » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:01 pm

I've been to a Norman's in either exmouth or sidmouth years ago and we used to have one over in camborne - which turned into a lidl.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Norman’s was in Budleigh, between Exmouth and Sidmouth

Postby Renee » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:03 am

I prefer Aldi to Lidl for wine. My favourite is the Australian Kooliburra Reserve Shiraz Cabernet at £4.09.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/search?q=Red+win ... lar&page=0

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:54 pm

We've tried a few of the 'Exquisite' ones. The Picpoul is nice, but not Mrs B's style, unlike the Alsace Pinot Gris :D . Had the Valpolicella Ripasso at the weekend, perfectly good.

I despair at the inability of either Aldi or Lidl to have the same thing in stock two weeks running though. Unsurprisingly, they seem to be good at German things such as stollen or pickled herrings.

Postby Binky » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:22 pm

We are shopping tarts and don't have loyalty to any particular supermarket. It all depends on where we are going and which shops we pass. When we do visit Aldi, we always buy their croissants, dishwasher tabs, all butter cookies, unsalted crisps and tonic water (the Fevertree cans copy, not the one in the big bottle). Otherwise it's a merry-go-round of Sainsbury, Morrisons, the local Co-Op, and Tesco (used more when we wanted free parking in town, but I have a Blue Badge now so parking not much of a problem these days).

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:34 pm

I've just made a couple of non-Lidl decisions.

Firstly, I've moaned about Lidl eggs splitting. The latest pack I bought, they've ALL split when I've boiled them, the one I just boiled so badly that I had to throw it away. I'm going back to Tesco eggs, even though they are over 15% more expensive.

Secondly I've been using Lidl baking potatoes for my everyday spud, but their cooking time has been noticebly longer than any other potato I've encountered, and the resultant potato is not the best texture, so I've decided to count those out too, even though they are half the price of Tesco.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:44 pm

Watford Aldi opens on Thursday Sakks.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:36 pm

:birthday-dancer

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:26 pm

I saw a tray of cherries at Sainsbury earlier in the week. It was £2.00.

The same size and weight at Aldi this afternoon was £1.25, the only difference being they are labelled Wonky Cherries.

There is nothing wonky about them.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:54 pm

I spotted cherries at Lidl yesterday, I'm pretty sure they were 99p for 150g, although I didn't dwell on that offer as I had a specific "in and out" shopping list.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I've just made a couple of non-Lidl decisions.

Firstly, I've moaned about Lidl eggs splitting. The latest pack I bought, they've ALL split when I've boiled them, the one I just boiled so badly that I had to throw it away. I'm going back to Tesco eggs, even though they are over 15% more expensive.

Secondly I've been using Lidl baking potatoes for my everyday spud, but their cooking time has been noticebly longer than any other potato I've encountered, and the resultant potato i? s not the best texture, so I've decided to count those out too, even though they are half the price of Tesco.

I would tend to assume that the problem with the spuds is the variety, rather than the source? The variety will change from time to time

I’ve noticed that you get all sorts of mysterious varieties these days. I got some salad potatoes called, I think Gwennie, from Morrison’s. Quite nice nut the skins were like leather, especially when cold

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox