Register

Kitchen accidents

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Kitchen accidents

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:43 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... ling-water

What’s your worst? Mine was a very nasty burn on the top of my foot which needed dressing and treatment for 2 months.

Re: Kitchen accidents

Postby Wic » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:08 pm

I once dropped a 1lb bread tin, corner down, onto my bare foot. It made a deep hole that took months to disappear and I still have the scar.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:44 pm

I have a Benriner mandolin. Anybody who has one knows that you forfeit bits of finger occasionally if you are stupid enough to use it. I draw your attention to the famous Rick Stein clip...

Postby Pampy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:51 am

I have a pair of armoured gloves specifically for when I use the mandolin!
Years ago, I nearly sliced my thumb off using a surgically sharp knife to cut something in my hand, rather than using a chopping board. After having a glass of whisky and a cigarette (it happened in my smoking days), I went next door to ask if one of them would kindly take me to the hospital because the wound was gushing blood everywhere. I had wrapped my hand in a white towel and they were in the middle of eating their dinner, which I think I rather put them off finishing! The wound was stitched up and healed quite well externally but unfortunately, I had nearly severed both a ligament and tendon so ended up having to have a cortisone injection to try to relieve the pain and numbness. The injection was way more painful than the injury so I never went back for any more!
I've also managed to give myself a third degree burn by trying to stop a pan of boiling water falling on the floor. Had to have weeks of visits to the health centre to have it checked and re-dressed.

Postby oat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:37 pm

Last year J bought me a new knife, I used it to cut potatoes for mash, in my hand, as I have always done. The result was a cut between my thumb and first finger on my left hand. Nine stitches later...........! The worst thng was the hospital gave me a stitch remover and assorted bits and pieces which I thought was for me to take to my local surgery to have the stitches removed with, but no they were for me to remove them myself, not easy to do one handed. :cry:

Postby Pampy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:19 pm

That's exactly how and where I cut my hand Oat! But at least I didn't have to take the stitches out myself.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:25 am

I was cutting some mangos with my chef knife, picking up the slices with the knife, and dumping them into a bowl.
the knife caught the rim of the bowl, then slipped into the ball of my thumb. Surgically removed the ball about halfway through.

Postby Wic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:11 pm

Actually, I wish I’d never started reading this thread, I keep having to avert my eyes from all the blood that has been spilt!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:37 pm

We could rename the thread " A cut above the rest", Wic. :gonzo :gonzo

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Another Tee Hee. On form today eh?

If the site had pop-up ads, it'd be blue plasters and disposable gloves here, there and everywhere - a bit like in my kitchen come to think of it.

I had a near miss with a pan of boiling oil after buying a hob-to-oven pan. I knew the handle would be hot after being in the oven, but being hollow I assumed it stayed cool on the hob. Big mistake. I'm amazed the boiling oil didn't damage the floor vinyl. I still don't know how the heck I jumped back quickly enough, but I did. There yer go Wic, a happy story :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:05 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I have a Benriner mandolin. Anybody who has one knows that you forfeit bits of finger occasionally if you are stupid enough to use it. I draw your attention to the famous Rick Stein clip...

Been there, done that ... lost the top corner of my left thumb, including that part of my nail too .. I was slicing stuff for a BBQ in the outside kitchen of a pub I was working in at the time. There was no-one else on the premises except their son (of about 11), no first aid kit I could find, so I had to wrap it in kitchen towel and hold it above my head until the blood stopped gushing ... I think some of it went in the salad that day :thumbsdown :roll:

At the same establishment I was scrubbing clean a casserole dish that had just come out of the oven. It broke in 2 and the momentum of my vigorous scrubbing meant that I sliced clean through to the top joint of my right thumb... that bloody hurt and even now, if I knock that joint I still swear profusely ! :oops: :evil:

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox