Register

what to line cupboards with?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

what to line cupboards with?

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:43 am

I'm going to be cleaning my cupboards, probably tackling one or two a week, having a good declutter and clear out.
I've previously lined them with greaseproof paper, but it has puckered and wrinkled very quickly. Ending up jamming at the rear.

Obviously my mum used newspaper back in the day.

I just cannot think of something stable to line the cupboards with. Wrapping paper would tear.
Do you use something in there to keep things tidy?

Re: what to line cupboards with?

Postby miss mouse » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:04 am

Wallpaper lining paper, the 800 gm, the 1000 gm is too stiff.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:28 am

My mother used to cover plain wooden kitchen shelves with special waxed shelf paper in a sort of gingham patter, because it had a thick layer of wax on it you could wipe it with a damp cloth.

My kitchen cupboards, and for that matter the bathroom cupboards and the cleaning stuff cupboard are melamine finished So can be wiped with a wet cloth and some kind of cleaning product, so it seems better not to line them.

I too have lined drawers and shelves with wallpaper lining :thumbsup or the ends of wallpaper rolls but I’ve taken it out of my big chest of drawers as I thought it was mainly acting as a place for moth eggs to lurk, I think it’s better not to use it and to vacuum the joins of the drawers quite often.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:31 am

Why didn't I think of that, Miss Mouse.
What an excellent idea. I've been looking at drawer liners, wrapping paper, thinking they are either too expensive of not sturdy.

Good tip about not using it for clothing, Sue. I'll just use it for the kitchen cupboards and drawers then.

Postby miss mouse » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:59 am

"Indorex" animal spray seems to be the thing for moth and carpet beetle, I think they have been in abundance the last couple of years. Spray the base of the skirting boards around the room and I suppose the base inside drawers.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:26 pm

I had a really bad moth attack, I removed the drawers from my big chest of drawers one at a time, took them outside, removed the clothes to a laundry basket, tipped the paper and a lot of moth eggs and debris into the outside bin, vacuumed it, sprayed the wood with a moth killer that is water based and has a pump spray*, let it dry replaced the drawer, washed and ironed the clothes and returned them.
Phew! Just as much of a tedious slog as it sounds but it worked
Now I just vacuum occasionally to check for moth eggs and debris (the grey gritty stuff) and top up the spray, but I’ve not had any since

* there seem to be 2 very similar sprays, made by Bouchard or Zero In

Postby Binky » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:43 pm

We use rolls of Fablon to line cupboards and drawers. It has a plasticky finish, so can be wiped down easily (great for those leaky soy sauce bottles) 8-)

Postby Linnet » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:10 pm

My kitchen cupboards also have a melamine finish, but I save the plastic tops from things like peanut butter jars, and use them to stand soy sauce etc bottles which are likely to drip. Easily washed when necessary, and no sticky rings! (Useful for the pepper grinder too, no pile of bits).

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:14 pm

A local shop, and presumably large haberdashers or soft furnishings depts, sells vinyl on a 5' wide roll, the sort used for topping stools etc. Very sturdy and wipe clean of course.

Second best I've found is washable or wipe clean wallpaper. If it is self-pasted, fold in half so it doesn't stick itself if wetted.

For undersink-type things, either of the above, although I use either a plastic box or even shoe box as it's easy to pull forward to reach items that sit at the back.

Ditto for sticky drippy sauce bottles. Find baskets or boxes that have upright not splayed sides.

Incidentally, I saw a handy tip of wrapping cling film over glass fridge shelves :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:37 am

I am a bit puzzled - as I said I don’t line kitchen shelves any longer, because fitted units have laminate shelves now so don’t need covering with Fablon or vinyl as they are easily wiped clean, and you can use a cleanser such as Flash or washing up liquid

What kind of cupboard shelves are we lining?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:00 am

That's a very good tip about (keeping and) using plastic lids for the sticky bottles to stand on.
I do have one sauce cupboard that is looking pretty sticky at the moment - thank you balsamic vinegar.

The reason for the lining, Sue. It's a lot easier to lift off a piece of paper when cleaning cupboards.
And for that area on top of cupboards, that do gather so much dust. I haven't been up there since last year, so I'm guessing it's going to need a fair bit of cleaning.

I've ordered some lining paper from Amazon. £4.30 for 10 meters should be enough.

Postby Binky » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 pm

You clean the tops of your cupboards? We only do ours when redecorating the kitchen, about every ten years. Filthy old harridan that I am.

Postby Wic » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:04 pm

I put folded newspaper on the tops of my cupboards, minimal cleaning involved, you just lift it up and throw it away. This is because I’ve had a lifetime of living in Married Quarters and when you leave one everything has to look like new. The newspapers meant it was one less job!

Civilian housing is not necessarily the same - moving into the house we are in now was a shock. It all looked pristine, but the grease on the top shelves and on the tops of the kitchen cupboards was so thick I had to scrape it off and then needed to use White Spirit to finish.

Postby jeral » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 pm

Stokey Sue, although my undersink cupboards are typical laminate, I find it can bubble or stain with some chemicals. Being at floor level, paper is also much easier to remove, then a quick wipe over with a damp rag as they say, than is scrubbing residues and rinsing clean.

It is horses for courses here. Don't need heavy duty or even paper liners other than in "sticky" cupboards. I don't line bedroom drawers - no need, although I do line the tops of wardrobes.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:35 pm

Each to their own way of doing things
I’d kind of forgotten about the tops of kitchen cupboard as mine go all the way to the (low) ceiling, I did used to cover them when I had them

I find it easy enough to just wipe up the odd spill or dribble but I don’t get many,

Postby Pampy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 am

When I modernised my kitchen, I made a point of having all the wall cupboards go up to the ceiling - not only for the extra room but also so that I didn't have to clean the tops (or feel guilty about not doing so!).

Postby Rainbow » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 am

I use Ikea drawer liner (sold in rolls) in my deep drawers with crockery and saucepans. It stops them sliding around as the drawers close, and also makes it quieter!
Now I have less drawers and more cupboards I have lined the shelves with the lining material I had - better than finding somewhere else to store the stuff!

Postby oat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:43 pm

I used Pickfords (the removal company) paper they gave us for wrapping delicates in, they gave us loads of it, also good for making sewing patterns. That makes it sound like tissue paper, it isnt, its much thicker.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:01 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:And for that area on top of cupboards, that do gather so much dust. I haven't been up there since last year, so I'm guessing it's going to need a fair bit of cleaning.

That would be the only place I would put either cling film or foil on..... for easy removal after dust and grease build up. However almost impossible for me to reach to do it, so it will have to be out of sight, out of mind ... or as Binky has suggested, only when the kitchen cupboards are upgraded :roll: :oops:

Never thought of using newspaper though :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby miss mouse » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:36 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Never thought of using newspaper though

I use newspaper in the rubbish and compost and under sink areas, how do they get so grimy?

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox