Register

Lose Weight and Get Fit With Tom Kerridge

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Lose Weight and Get Fit With Tom Kerridge

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:18 am

Wednesdays at 830pm London time/330pm East coast USA time on BBC 2

It is also available on the download circuit and thru the BBC iPlayer.

Site Admin

Re: Lose Weight and Get Fit With Tom Kerridge

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Funny that his original series was the most calorie intensive/artery clogging fare you could imagine! I wonder if he's embarrassed by his former excess. Not being judgemental, I'm sure in his shoes I wouldn't be far off, I'm still resolutely carrying on using butter where it's frowned on, although maybe not quite so much as I used to, but that's mostly down to cost these days.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:59 pm

The main tip in his first diet book was to stop drinking 8 pints of beer a day . . . . :clap

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:37 pm

I could only manage 8 pints every other day, as I'd be unconscious for the day in between.

Postby Renee » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am

No wonder he had weight problems! :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:17 am

I quite like the chap, but there is nothing in his book "proper grub" that I want to cook when I pick it up.
And he's certainly the success story of losing weight.
So many chefs did it, but put it on again.

Is he teetotal now?

I may watch it on catch up.

Postby Suelle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:46 am

From reading the media blurb, it seems the reason for the second series is that he's started to put weight on again. I can sympathise - it's hard enough for anyone to keep weight off, but working in the food business must make it even more difficult.

I probably won't be watching though, I'm too old and my knees are too dodgy, to take up strenuous exercise, and increasing activity has never worked for me - only cutting calorific intake.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:00 pm

I'm really liking this show, but that's because it's a fit for me.
I do HIIT, have done for 5 years. Even twice a week, I'm fit enough to go for a hike without flagging.

It also means I can eat what I want without putting weight on.

I'm a member of a gym too - never done that before. And can also indulge in pilates, or swimming, which I adore.

So I'll happily endorse his approach to losing weight and getting fit. Exactly as he's presenting it.
And I'm looking forward to those successful results from his participants too. If they are like me, they will be able to maintain it too.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:22 pm

A lot of people say that exercise is only 20 per cent key to weightless and most of its diet , but I disagree to a certain extent .

I’ve been exercising fairly consistently since the New Year and though the scales haven’t changed much , I’ve definitely toned up and I think the simple equation of calories in vs calories out means the harder you exercise , the less strict you have to be re diet .

I also think psychologically for me , if I have a good workout and have those endorphins flowing , I’m much more likely to go for healthy options food wise , so as not to undo the hard work . I also think diets related to general mental well being . I work in mental health and the more depressed clients I work with tend to have poor appetite or rely on takeaways and snacks which in turn affects the mood negatively so it’s a bit of a vicious circle

Postby dennispc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:16 pm

and HITT is?

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:10 pm

High intensity interval training . It basically works on the principle of going full pelt for a shorter period of time to burn optimum calories with short breAks in between .

I think the main idea is that because it’s in a shorter time span and mostly are exercises you can do at home , it’s easier to manage time wise than slugging away at the gym for over an hour .

My PT sets me a programme where it might be a 25 minute lower body session with 1.30 minutes full out exercise , 30 second rest then back to exercising again . I’m not an expert on the science behind it but I think you burn more calories after you’ve stopped exercising too

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:04 pm

As Amy says.
My PTrainer session is 45mins twice a week. Some are cardio, some weights, some muscle building, a lot of core. You up your workout as you get stronger.

When I first started, I was lifting weights at 2kilos each hand.
Now it's 10.

The plank I could barely hold for 30secs. Now I sometimes do it for 5mins.
The point of interval training, is after a certain length of time, you do not benefit from doing it any longer. For example, if you do press-ups. You stop at 50secs, as the impact reaches its maximum benefit.
When you rest, your body recovers. The recovery aspect is important.

With my regime, you do develop muscle & core. I found that I developed a bit of a "ballerina" neck, and have now reduced some of the weights I was thrashing around.

You change your diet too. Which is why I can no longer tolerate chocolate. I stopped for 2 years, and now if I eat a candy bar, I feel dizzy and nauseous.

Also, after the workout, there is a period of hours when your body is still using up energy/ calories. Effectively recovering, you are still continuing to burn energy.
Whilst there is a science behind it, for me, I would never be able to cycle 50 miles to Pershore & 50 miles back, without the exercise. If I have a holiday break, I cannot do it.
You do have to keep it up. As Tom Kerridge is finding out.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Had no idea what "Ballerina Neck" was till I googled it.

Of course you can always disguise it with a bit of suitably tasteful jewellery...

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Ooooo.
Those women can never take their necklace bangles off I seem to remember from Alan Whicker.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:04 pm

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:26 am

I do HIIT, as well Gill when I'm out walking, although I've been a bit lax over Christmas and then I had gastro-enteritis for a week and then, of course, the weather gets in the way at this time of the year. I still do it on the treadmill at the gym. It's surprising how you build up. I have a dance fitness class on Tuesday and Zumba on Thursday. The machines as well in between.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:34 am

Sorry to hear about the GE, Renee.
Hope you're a lot better now and back to normal eating too. I do find you need a break from the fitness now and then.

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:22 am

Thanks Gill. I'm getting back to normal now. It's surprising how much fitness we can lose after a virus.

Postby dennispc » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 am

HITT, ah, thank you. Didn’t Mosley do a programme on it? He must’ve done. Sounds a bit like circuit training, back in the day, though there’s a lot more sophisticated equipment now you lucky people.

Certainly there’s a buzz from physical activity.

Doctors emphasise the need for those who spend time in bed to get active as quickly as possible. I forget what the figures are for muscle loss but it’s a bit scary. Professional sports people, when laid up for a broken leg, have lots of physio to prevent that.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:31 pm

Petronius wrote:HITT, ah, thank you. Didn’t Mosley do a programme on it? He must’ve done. Sounds a bit like circuit training, back in the day, though there’s a lot more sophisticated equipment now you lucky people.

That programme was called (iirc) The Truth About Exercise (bbc 2 or 4 ?) You may still find this on bbciplayer. HIIT was explained and MM tried a session of some d.i.y HIIT which he found much more difficult than he thought.

I am trying (in vain) to lose some weight, but so far my calories in -v- calories out seem to be the same. Despite 2 zumba and 2 Fitsteps classes a week (during which I sweat profusely,) the weight is stubbornly refusing to budge. I could well do with losing at least a stone, so trying MM's 16:8 diet regime now, which is calorie counted. I have also bought the Pinch Of Nom Light eating cookbook for inspiration (all meals are 400 cals)

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox