Register

Lose Weight and Get Fit With Tom Kerridge

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Lose Weight and Get Fit With Tom Kerridge

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:18 pm

My overweight seemed to be quite stubborn, Patsy, but I joined a Slimming World group and went down two dress sizes. It works well and I never felt hungry. A woman that I know at the gym went on the 5:2 diet and she is a changed person now.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Renee wrote:My overweight seemed to be quite stubborn, Patsy, but I joined a Slimming World group and went down two dress sizes. It works well and I never felt hungry. A woman that I know at the gym went on the 5:2 diet and she is a changed person now.

About 8 years ago, I weighed 14 stone, the heaviest I have ever been .. I did SW for about a year or so and lost 3.5 stone ... I got down to 10st 5lbs and try as I might, couldn't lose another ounce. I was just reaching for size 20, but came down to a size 14 .. I am now back to size 16 (ish) and creeping towards 12 stone. Lost a lot of weight after my cancer diagnosis and subsequent operation, but also had to change my diet somewhat (although I can eat what I like now and frequently do ;) :lol: ), hence the weight increase. Just thought I would try the calorie counted TRE (Time Restricted Eating) plan as this also removes sugar from the food . I'm not exactly a choco-holic, but do find it difficult to leave it alone. :roll:

Postby Renee » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:06 pm

You did brilliantly with Slimming World Patsy, but you certainly don't want to go back to that weight. Sugar is an enemy as we've all been told and I just don't have anything sweet in my home now, especially as my blood sugars are creeping up and I'm heading for a problem if I don't do something about it. The nurse said that looking back at my history, my blood sugar levels were lower when my weight was lower. I'm attempting Michael Mosleys 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet. I've lost 3lbs this week and feel much better already. A woman at the gym followed the 5:2 Diet and has never looked back. She changed out of all recognition.

Good luck!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Renee wrote:You did brilliantly with Slimming World Patsy, but you certainly don't want to go back to that weight.

The weight only dropped off because I hardly used any syns- some weeks none at all. As soon as I used some, the weight loss that week stopped ... :roll:

Postby Amyw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:20 pm

I personally never got on with SW and one of my main issues was the syns . I think the word itself isn’t great as no food should be considered bad IMO, everything in moderation .

I’ve also seen people on FB groups etc almost become fanatical about getting the maximum amount of food possible for their syns which to me isn’t a good mindset , if you’re trying to lose weight .

I have a sweet tooth too which isn’t a good thing . I try to give myself a little sweet thing when I crave it even if it’s tinned peChes and squirty cream , as I know from previous experience if I go too hardcore , and ban myself from lots of foods , I end up bingeing on them in the end

Postby dennispc » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:53 pm

Thanks Patsy and my sympathy to you, and anyone else doing everything right, and still can’t lose weight.

Never had a problem with weight and could easily drop a few pounds if needed, but age does make losing weight harder. Mine is gradually increasing, partly because I eat more in the winter to keep warm. Catch 22 alongside muscle loss so that most of my exercise is shortish walks. The weather doesn't help.

When the temperature rises I’ll try 16:8, which helps a lot. I’ve cut out sugar as much as possible but still remain addicted to bread and honey/marmalade/jam.

Calories in = calories out may not be as straightforward as we think. Came across this article, which maybe valid but I’ve no idea to be honest.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... lories-out

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:51 pm

Oooh, that was an interesting read and certainly explains why my weight has stalled :thumbsup .. what a shame though they there seems to be no (simple) solution :? For me it seems to be just my age :roll: - I'm doomed :thumbsdown

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:00 pm

It is such a cliche, losing the weight is the easier part, it's keeping the weight off.

I'm fortunate-ish as when I lost weight 5 years ago, coupled with more exercise, I was unable to go back to the lazy eating I'd done before, as cake and chocolate made me feel dizzy and ill.
So I couldn't start up with the bad habits again. The ladies I paint with are always baking and bringing in biscuits. But I simply have to keep my hands off.

I don't know how to replicate that as a dieting tip tho, for keeping the weight off.

Postby Renee » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:13 am

Patsy, I can guarantee a weight loss if I have a cottage cheese salad for my evening meal. I do put a dollop of sweet chilli sauce on the cottage cheese to liven it up a bit!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:34 am

Renee wrote:Patsy, I can guarantee a weight loss if I have a cottage cheese salad for my evening meal. I do put a dollop of sweet chilli sauce on the cottage cheese to liven it up a bit!

It's worth a try :thumbsup

I don't think I could up my exercise of 2 zumba, 2 fitsteps and a stretch class each week :wave :lol:

Postby dennispc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:58 am

According to Bill Bryson's book, the Body, walking for seven hours will mean the loss of just 1lb in weight. Hardly encouraging is it?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:48 pm

Petronius wrote:According to Bill Bryson's book, the Body, walking for seven hours will mean the loss of just 1lb in weight. Hardly encouraging is it?

I'm fighting a losing battle then :roll:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:59 pm

Looking forward to reading that book, but waiting till it drops in price on Amazon...

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox