Register

Veganuary month

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Veganuary month

Postby Amyw » Thu May 28, 2020 1:46 pm

It’s so weird the world works . I logged on to post on this very thread , I saw emwilk who posted on WF, post on her Insta , a very intriguing looking bacon made from banana skins . It actually looked very good though I’m struggling to visualise it myself

Postby scullion » Thu May 28, 2020 2:21 pm

was it this one?

Postby Amyw » Thu May 28, 2020 2:52 pm

Yes looks similar. It fascinates how someone was about to throw away the peel of a banana one day and thought I know I'll make it into a bacon substitute instead

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 28, 2020 4:16 pm

Gosh, both the butter and banana bacon look interesting.

Re the butter, if coconut cream is used it must surely have a coconut flavour? Possibly not unpleasant but might not 'go' with everything.

As for the bacon, wow! I wonder if you could successfully use honey instead of maple syrup, I haven't any of the latter and am curious.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 28, 2020 4:47 pm

I wondered how much the spread would taste of coconut

I think the point of using maple syrup is that it is used in bacon curing, perhaps brown sugar which is also used in curing might be a better substitute?

Postby jeral » Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 pm

I doubt any coconut taste would be evident if turmeric is added as well as the cider vinegar. I assume one could use EVOO instead, although that has a taste, but my "take away" is the idea of the soya milk/vinegar curdling, whatever other oil is added.

Brown sugar (the one I have is quite soft) is what I'd use for the bacon, as I use it for tuna and salmon similarly. My vegan friends use agave syrup which is super sweet to me, but it's the caramelisation and smoky burning that's desired more than sweetness methinks. Besides, we Brits probably wouldn't recognise the taste of maple syrup so wouldn't miss it, plus it's expensive.

Postby Amyw » Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pm

When I tried Veganuary , my main issues with the cheeses were that they were all coconut based. Now I love coconut, but in curries, desserts etc. Not in a sandwich with pickle !!

Same as the healthy eating craze a few years ago where everything had to be cooked in coconut oil. I tried an egg cooked in it once, never again !

Postby smitch » Thu May 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Refined coconut oil is supposed to have a milder flavour but I’ve never used it. My OH hates coconut so I’ve never bothered. I do use Naturli spread when I’m making vegan recipes and it doesn’t have a strong flavour to me. It has some coconut oil in.

I’ve never noticed a particular coconut taste in vegan ‘cheese’ but I tend to get the pepper jack flavour one and haven’t bought it for ages.

I saw Nadiya making ‘pulled pork’ with banana skins on her instagram stories recently. They’re banned from this house so it isn’t something I’ll be trying :vomit

Postby Pampy » Fri May 29, 2020 12:58 pm

I think banana skins must be the next "thing" - there's a piece about cooking with them in the latest Good Food magazine.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox