Register

Veganuary month

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Veganuary month

Postby Amyw » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:41 pm

Yes, I've researched my alcohol carefully :limbobanana

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:44 pm

Amyw wrote:Yes, I've researched my alcohol carefully :limbobanana

:clap

More here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 75616.html

Postby Amyw » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:08 pm

I’ve often seen faux tuna using chickpeas :crying2 . The artichoke one sounds quite tasty .

I like the idea of making a vegan mayo . I have bought the M&S vegan mayo but not tried it yet . A lot of their range I’ve really liked .

Today I was at work . Cooked the girls homemade chicken and bacon pie and I had nut roast . Little bit bland and again something I want to have a go at making myself . Served with chantenay carrots and steamed broccoli/cauliflower and marmite roast potatoes plus good old bisto gravy . I never miss meat with a roast now although I always loved the sides more

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 pm

Re steamed cauli, have you tried charred cauli or blackened as it's called? Often cut as sliced "steaks". It does make it an item in itself so to speak.

My take is a smear of olive oil, cumin, turmeric & ginger powder on it. Very good with roasted tomatoes.

Postby MariaK » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Amyw wrote:I like the idea of making a vegan mayo

In Spain they-ve been making eggless mayo - mayonesa blanca / white mayo for decades - especially in bars / restaurants in summer when refrigeration wasn't what it is today. Milk replaced eggs - nowadays vegans use other "milks", especially soy milk-
If you want a recipe let me know - translation no problem.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Never realised that Maria, yes please

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:43 pm

MariaK, may I tack on a request as to whether your vegan mayo recipe is OK to freeze please?

The bought versions are another item that has endless ingredients that put me off it.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:03 pm

Interesting, just made some of that milk mayo, and it's an impressive quick sub, but hasn't the depth of egg mayo. Had some with my egg and tomato roll for lunch, and it also brought home to me how mayo is a way of getting as much oil as possible into my tummy in one go without drinking it neat!

No idea how it works with non-milk milks though :-(

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:33 pm

I walked past one of the surviving Carluccio’s today, they have a Veganuary menu which has a few good ideas, here’s a link

https://uk.veganuary.com/restaurants/carluccios/

Postby Amyw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:33 pm

Very nice mains and starters though feel they could have pushed the boat out a bit more on the dessert side

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:02 pm

Agree, though I suspect they are a bit stuck with desserts, if they want something Italianate but without using fake dairy, also suspect they don't even sell a lot of puds.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:40 pm

[/img] https://i.postimg.cc/PqTskQpG/F2-EE8079 ... 8-B969.jpg [img]

They say vegans only eat twigs and berries . Recreated one of my childhood dishes tonight with Richmond vegan sausages . Cooked with a chopped onion, garlic and smoked paprika , then added baked beans and some English mustard plus some veg stock . You couldn’t tell the difference with the vegan sausages . Not the prettiest meal , but perfect stodge for this weather

Postby MariaK » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:51 pm

Veganesa or Vegan mayo

Most recipes follow the traditional cow's milk recipe but use plant “milk” - mostly soy -
Generally 1 part milk to 2 parts oil

Ingredients

100ml milk – must be room temp
200 ml oil *
½ a garlic clove – crushed / diced mini
½ tsp salt
juice ½ lemon
mustard – optional

Oil – ideally olive oil, but nothing too brash. Or use a combination of olive & maize / sunflower …

Tools
Stick blender and a tall beaker or suitable jug – not much wider than the base of the blender.

Method
Put the milk , garlic & salt in beaker
Holding the beaker at a slight angle pour in the oil gently down the side of the beaker. ** - See Note 2 - below

Holding the beaker down firmly with left hand put the blender right down to the bottom and start whizzing on low speed. If you only have one speed, just do stop & start – as if pulsing in a food processor. The milk will gradually emulsify

Then gradually raise the blender to low oil level – up and down, up & down to gradually incorporate the oil until you get to the top.
Beakers like to show off their levitating skills – so hold it down very firmly (grin)
Once you have a runny mayo, add lemon juice and then mustard if using – or any other flavourings / spices (e.g. Chili flakes / herbs …) you may want to add-
And back to the up and down till it's reached the desired consistency.

Transfer to bowl and put in fridge

A couple of vegan sites also do “mayonesa de … carrots (finely grated raw or cooked puree) steamed and pureed brocoli / red peppers etc

** Note 2 – some people prefer to add the oil a little at a time

Pics- https://www.directoalpaladar.com/receta ... on-lactosa

In this case keep the whizzer low, though eventually the oil will remain on the surface so you'll have to do the up and down bit.

jeral wrote:by jeral » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:43 pm

MariaK, may I tack on a request as to whether your vegan mayo recipe is OK to freeze please?

The bought versions are another item that has endless ingredients that put me off it.

Sorry, but no idea if it's freezable. Perhaps you could freeze a bit & see what happens. I'll try looking on Spanish vegan sites or ask on a blog if I find a suitable one.

P.S. I have never made or eaten a vegan mayo - hope it's eatable. I've had the standard cow milk white mayo & as Sakks said, it's a bit bland.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:26 pm

Thanks Maria

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks from me too. I'll try it with cows' milk first so I know what I'm aiming for.

A decent shake of smoked paprika or suitable pinch of cayenne, even to Hellmann's mayo, takes the blandness off I find.

In a fight with (non-vegan) salad cream, mayo doesn't usually win for me, but is better when a creamier taste is desired.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:54 pm

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:36 am

Postby Amyw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:27 pm

Just tried vegan Galaxy hazelnut chocolate , so good ....

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:31 pm

Amyw wrote:Just tried vegan Galaxy hazelnut chocolate

Only counts as ONE of your five a day though.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 pm

I accidentally made a wonderful vegan curry yesterday.
I say "accidentally" because I was going to use butter to cook it, but remembered I had mustard oil in the cupboard, so I used that.
It was a version of aloo saag - but I used tiny Colombian potatoes and Swiss chard,onions, garlic, ginger and chiles. Accompanied by Basmati and beetroot chutney. Yummy!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox