Register

IP Address problems

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

IP Address problems

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:12 pm

I've had a couple of PMs from members having difficulty posting, throwing up a message that their IP addresses are suspect.

Not sure what's going on, please PM me if you are also having difficulties posting.

Re: IP Address problems

Postby scullion » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:37 pm

i've had this a few times over on 'the other site' and once on to a member's ip who had been banned a year or so previously.
it allows me to read posts but not to post anything.
because most domestic ip addresses roam around they sometimes land on ones that may have had dodgy dealings on or spamming. if you wait a few hours and sign back on, the ip address has usually moved on to one that hasn't been blocked or blacklisted. i suppose that will happen more and more often as time goes by. i think the only way to stop it is by having a static address - which is what businesses do - although i think they are less secure for some reason.

ps. i had to ask suffolk to message for me as i couldn't send a pm, either.

Postby Pampy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:52 pm

A problem for me too - are you a Sky broadband customer Scullion? I'm starting to think that it might be a change that Sky has made to the dynamic IP addresses that they generate - and that the range they're using is picked up as unauthenticated by the site** that is generating the error message.
** a global utility that has been built to try to block spamming.

I've just had the same problem trying to post this - so I deleted board cookies and it's cleared the problem again.

Postby scullion » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:00 am

no, we're not. we were with plusnet but have recently gone over to a 4g router - and it has happened once with that, too, so i don't think it has anything to do with the provider.
i've also had the messages to go to 'luncheonmeathouse' to see why.

Postby Rainbow » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:30 am

I was having problems for a couple of days on this forum and Wildfoods. I could pm Sakkarin (which started this thread, I think) but not post anything.
I just got messages saying my IP address was blacklisted!!
When I tried the 'Spamhaus Project' website to get my IP address unlisted they said I'd get a code to send them, via email - but it never arrived (I tried twice!).

Today I was going to delete History and Cookies but I tried posting on Wildfood first and it worked!! No idea why and my internet provider is in Australia!

But I can post again (if this one works) so all OK for now :D

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:42 am

I think the facility to get the IP address unlisted is for companies that generate the dynamic IP address, not individuals.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:32 am

I had this the second time I tried to post from Malta, using the same hotel network I used the day before. The problem persisted on this site until I got home but everywhere else was fine

Not had a problem from home on Virgin media

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:48 am

although I haven't posted for a while I don't think I've had a problem. We are with Virgin Media as well.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox