Register

Ingredient Overload

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Ingredient Overload

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:01 pm

I feel ashamed of myself. No meat, but a fridge full of veggie ingredients and I couldn't think of anything to make without a meat at its core.

I've made a sort of a stew, with a bit of everything starting with a cajun type trinity, thrown in some pasta pieces and roasted some sweet potato chunks which I've thrown into it. And a slug of wine and cream. Remains to be seen if it's edible.

I was thinking a starting a new veggie board (we used to have one ages ago), and focussing on each veg in turn, like the "butternut squash" thread at the moment (maybe move that into it...). What do you think?

Any other ideas for spicing up the board welcome.

Re: Ingredient Overload

Postby Amyw » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:25 pm

I don’t know if a veggie board would get enough interest as some people like to just visit the main board and would miss out . Plus there are omnivores who’s be interested but might not visit a veggie board .

I like the idea of an ingredient of the week (?) thread , which may not exclusively be veggie , such as the BNS thread and the tofu puff one as quite educational and what’s familiar to some may be exotic to another .

Postby scullion » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 pm

'if you build it they will come'.

being vegetarian i think it would be a really good idea - i would use it - and what with the recommendations for meat consumption reduction, with regard to health and climate change, it could never be a bad thing and might help those trying to eat more vegetarian meals.
it won't stop people going to the main board for any meat/fish based needs and anyway, vegetarian/vegan dishes can often be converted to carnivorous ones in the same way that some meat based ones can be converted.

Postby Binky » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:47 pm

I would welcome a vegetarian thread, and it wouldn't stop me reading the others; variety is the spice of life.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm

Agreed.

I am Omni but seem to be less interested in meat these days.
Also I have veggie bro and SIL plus vegan nephew, so I do cater for them occasionally.

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:58 pm

I'd say No. This is hardly a veggie forum of which there are many others out there.

The climate is different now. It's not us and them any more - remember "nuisance veggies"? It's recipes easily adaptable either way as many have families and friends with diverse tastes or allergic needs, so one main forum that regards us all as diverse eaters makes sense.

Alternatively, singling out any category might even be seen as offensive in these PC times.

Veggie/vegan is seriously big business including offering many crossover possibilities via fake meat so in effect is now still mainstream for many carni recipes.

scullion quotes Field of Dreams. I'm asking why would they come if there's a better field next door?

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:03 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Jeral. I am suddenly cooking for 2 vegans and there are loads of forums out there.

Postby scullion » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:36 am

it seems a strange argument - i would imagine that there will just be another area added on to the 'food chat' and chatterbox areas. the board wouldn't become vegetarian or vegan, you wouldn't have to look at it if you don't want to.
there are also plenty of meat based forums and sites so the argument that there are 'better fields next door' could apply to them, too.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:21 pm

What I really appreciate about this board is its simplicity. There are three areas: food chat, chatterbox and Bargain basement. Personally, i never look at the last two. Food chat is just what it is and I see no practical point in breaking it up into smaller pieces. If there´s a thread on Food Chat that doesn´t interest me, I simply ignore it.
There´s another site available which has everything categorised into little parcels - and I find it far too fussy. then there are sites like Chowhound, which is more complicated than looking for Tau Si in the North of Scotland.
I always adhere to the kitchen myth "KISS" :gonzo

Now about all those veg, Sakks... a Veggie per week (or something like that) would be very interesting, especially since I´m an avid veggie eater.
How about we start searching for "veggie" threads in our historical archives?

Postby jeral » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:29 pm

scullion, I did say better "field" not "fields" next door, meaning using the most-read main Foodchat subforum instead, as people did, or posted in both, when a veggie subforum existed and that was before so many mixed eater groups were prevalent.

What would you say are the specific selling points for a dedicated veggie forum that would make it work ongoing? I'm sure there are some I haven't thought of.

Postby jeral » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:42 pm

Re veg-a-week. How would that work? Could I be waiting for 52 weeks and still not see my queried veg being chosen? Who would choose which veg to feature? Would it be separate threads or a shaggy dog ongoing one which can become confused.

A separate suggestion I'd make is to have your seasonal veg chart as a clicky link box in the left hand page menu column.

Also, there used to be a Veg in Season Now thread. Maybe that could be restarted as a sticky?

Postby Amyw » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Maybe just have a thread where people post with their one veg , no duplicates and go by order of the posts . I think deer are threads for each veg would be easier to read and search for . I think it shouldn’t just be veg and maybe ingredients of the week . Would be able to expand to random spices , Cuts of meat , pulses etc

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox