Register

Overrated foods

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Overrated foods

Postby Amyw » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:10 pm

A mention of kale in the restaurant thread made me think of overrated foods . I've always thought kale has a horrible texture and not keen on the flavour either. I thought it became popular as one of those over hyped superfoods. I'd rather have broccoli!!

Other foods I've never really got the hype for are

Asparagus , it's OK, but I don't get the overall excitement

Scallops , I'm not keen on the texture , and have them cooked to varying degrees of "doneness" and I'd much rather have some lovely prawns

Champagne, I've had some pretty decent ones, but would much rather have Prosecco.

Maybe I just have common tastebuds

Re: Overrated foods

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:30 pm

I might need to think about this a bit

Truffles number one, no better than ok. It’s a very distinctive odour and I’m not keen

I simply don’t get the cult of the pie. Most things are better without a casing of slightly soggy flour

And I don’t get the cult of the roast dinner either. Sure I cook them and eat them and even enjoy them, but not every week. Please, not every week.

Postby Amyw » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:05 pm

You see I do love a roast and cooking one at work tomorrow , but not every week . I hate “institutional “ type cooking with roasts every Sunday, fish every Friday etc .

Never really been into pies like that . I’ve had some nice ones before , but I would always automatically skip over pies when looking at a menu . I’d much rather have the filling as a casserole by itself . My pet hate is when the pastry is cooked separately , so you get whatever the pie filling is , with a massive dome of pasty on the side

Postby Renee » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:49 pm

Amy, I agree with all the foods that you mentioned. However I prefer tenderstem broccoli.

I rarely eat pies, but I had a really good ham shank, chicken and leek pie with shortcrust pastry, mash and green vegetables at a restaurant the other day.

Caviar doesn't do anything for me. Its fishy and crunchy.

Champagne is also a no-no.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:56 am

Oh dear.
I love champagne, caviar and scallops.

Wouldn't bother me if I never had rhubarb again though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:19 am

Yes, scallops, champagne and caviar all good here. I quite like kale, preferably the dark Tuscan kale.

I’m trying hard not to slide into just listing things I don’t like, but rather things that are considered at least a bit special by some and I just don’t get it.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:33 am

Sausages and mash.
I don't get the frenzy* over eton mess.
Soups
Cheese can sit in my fridge untouched for weeks
Burgers

All of the above are OK I guess.

* I've seen Greg and John in full hype whilst judging the eton mess

Postby Wic » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:52 am

Trifle. To me it’s wet cake and cold custard.

And I’m with Sue on truffles, slightly unpleasant smell.

Cauliflower. To me just tastes as if it’s going off.

Postby cherrytree » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:06 pm

All pulses.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Wic wrote:Trifle. To me it’s wet cake and cold custard.

I like my own trifle but in a similar vein zabaglione / sabayon - no idea why anyone wants a dessert made of half-cooked wine and half raw egg, which is all it ever tastes of to me, even when other people are in raptures over the same dish

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:27 pm

I like the slight bitterness of kale, especially when it's served with something like a cream and wine sauce.
Things that don't do anything for me - caviar, truffles, raw oysters (although I like them cooked).
I like pies if the pastry is thin and light.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:31 pm

I think Cavolo Nero is disgusting. There are some types of smoked salmon which I find too salty. Not mad on roasts at all although I cook them.
Don't care for chickpeas or falafel.

Adore caviar, truffles, oysters and Champagne. My mother always says I was born into the wrong family.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Bread sauce, bread pudding to start with. Unbelievably tasteless. Give me something with a zing to it, not stodgy old leftovers from the 50s.
Ricotta and tofu. Utterly tasteless. However, when I finally realised that they were better used for their protein content, I saw the light. As long as I´ve got some interesting sauce to put with them.
The current trend for kale is simply a foodie fad, IMHO. Remember sun-dried tomatoes? Balsamic vinegar? Caramelised leeks? Since its popular, cooks try to add it to everything, which usually ends up with disasters!
Pizza. Now don´t get me wrong - I love a good pizza from time to time, but it´s highly overrated, and highly overpriced. After all, it´s only a piece of bread dough with stuff on top :gonzo :gonzo

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I’m trying hard not to slide into just listing things I don’t like, but rather things that are considered at least a bit special by some and I just don’t get it.

the problem is, that is all a thread like this can be. it is a totally subjective listing of food that an individual doesn't like. i find fish, kidneys and liver the most disgusting things i was made to eat when small so they are really overrated in my mind but others seem, strangely, to love them.
goats cheese and risotto are also on that list now.
i bet it would be really difficult, if not impossible, to find something that everyone could agree on as being overrated.

Postby Amyw » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:01 pm

I don't mind caviar , love trifle and rhubarb.

I agree about pizza and bangers and mash. I like pizza well enough and have made and bought some pretty good ones. I just find the prices especially takeaways such as Dominos ridiculous . If I was going to fork out £20 or so on a takeaway , it wouldn't be on pizza .

Sausages and mash seem really popular as a comfort food. I hate mash and again I like sausages well enough, but they don't rank that high to me

Postby Pommes » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:20 pm

Amy,

How I have enjoyed reading your new thread! I identify with so many responses, but have to admit that since moving to France in 2001, my tastes have definitely changed. Once upon a time would I never touch asparagus, oysters, or black pudding. Now, (because they are all locally produced & therefore fresh) I find them delicious when properly served.

Wic: I soooo agree with agree you re; trifle. Whenever I have said 'I don't like trifle' I get weird looks as if I am mad!!! It really is the soggy cake & cold custard I cannot stand.

Postby Wic » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:36 pm

I know, Pommes, disliking trifle is obviously weird to the rest of the world. I got on very well with my MiL except for the fact she was known for the wonderful trifles she made, and she never quite forgave me for not eating them.

KK I love bread sauce, but I think it’s because it tastes of nutmeg, which I really like. Bread pudding, no, I’m with you there.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:54 pm

The most overrated things round here in hipster land are, obviously, avocados and quinoa

I eat both, I like both, but they are not really a requirement on every lunch menu. I can go weeks without either but it seems most people round here can’t.

That’s definitely about overrating them whether you like them or not

Where my dislike comes in is the hipster habit of topping smashed avocado with a poached egg with a runny yolk. That’s one of the few things that actually makes me squeamish.

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Is "over-rated" relative to cost? For example is tornados rossini that much more euphoric than fillet beef Wellington? (I wouldn't know.) Or at the cheap end, chefs raving over blackened cauliflower which carnivores would probably prefer to swap for a few nondescript frozen peas.

In the mid range, I'd add goats' cheese, which I find awful, and no, not all vegetarians worship the darn stuff which seems to be an enduring menu item. So do people actually like it or it's just that chefs/cooks think everybody ought to?

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:19 pm

I can't even get goat's cheese into my mouth, and believe me I've tried. The aroma that gets into my nostrils as I bring it towards me makes me heave.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox