Register

Felicity makes treacle tart

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Felicity makes treacle tart

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:33 pm

I posted this on another forum and the consensus is that she's got it completely wrong this time. What do you reckon?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/o ... asterclass

Site Admin

Re: Felicity makes treacle tart

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm not a connoisseur of treacle tarts, but I know 99% oif recipes use all golden syrup, no treacle...

Just seeing you mention it, I fancy one now, maybe I'll make a half portion tomorrow. For the record, the last one I made was in 2009 (as aleays I have a piccy...), and an all-syrup recipe, because I still have the recipe.

It was a Whatsisname Rankin recipe. It's pretty much the same as Felicity's, other than the treacle, and 35g isn't an awful lot, not much more than a bit of added colour, and after all it is called TREACLE tart, even though we all know it's really Golden Syrup tart.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 pm

I have never used treacle or egg in the filling - just lemon zest and ground ginger.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:06 am

I never used to put egg in but I tried James Martin’s version that uses it, and both my dad and I preferred the softer texture

This in fact is James’ version, it’s not much different to Felicity’s apart from the cream and the dark treacle. I make my own pastry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/warmtreacletartwiths_85139

Not sure I fancy the dark treacle though I’d try a slice. Definitely no ginger though, I have tried that and not keen, but then not very keen on spice in sweet things generally

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:08 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:...but then not very keen on spice in sweet things generally

Conversely, my tweak to my favourite standby cake, Levi Roots' Jamaica ginger cake, is to double the amount of ginger!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Full on ginger cake is an exception, and there are others

But for me the point of things like treacle tart, rice pudding, apple crumble etc is that they taste of themselves, not overlaid with a taint of any. spice. And I’m not a fan of sweet cinnamon at all

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:20 pm

I've never liked ginger cake much. My bete noire however is any kind of cake/pudding that has caraway seed in.

Costco used to make a really wonderful Pecan Pie which was essentially a huge treacle tart studded with pecans. It was a family treat when mine were teenagers. Shame they stopped doing it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:36 pm

I now want that student treat of McVitie’s Jamaica ginger cake doused in excessive amounts of custard and served hot. Would just go with the weather

PP, when I came back from South Africa I had a huge bag of fresh pecan halves and I made IanInFrance’s Loohoo pecan pie, and it was wonderful

I used a bottle of maple syrup I found lurking in the kitchen and made up the quantity with a tad of golden syrup

https://souvigne.pagesperso-orange.fr/recipes/pud280.htm

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:21 pm

That looks very good Sue and thanks. Will have to save up for the maple syrup and nuts first though. I suspect that’s why Costco stopped making them.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Yes, Aldi usually the best place for maple syrup, Lidl or Aldi for the nuts, but still very much a luxury

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:35 pm

Oh dear, I can't do it. All that butter and sugar, and I know I'd finish it within two days, even a half-sized one is way too much - 80g butter and 225g sugar* and an egg and cream :-(

I daresay I'll relent eventually, maybe have a few sugar/butter light days to build up brownie points.

*sweet pastry base...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:33 am

I was trying to sort out my huge pile of printed off recipe sheets, and I found the pages I'd run off last time I looked at treacle pudding recipes, and found this one, which only has seven ingredients! Only four if readymade pastry is one of them.

http://www.jacksonschampionbread.co.uk/ ... acle-tart/

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:01 pm

That’s how my mum made it Sakkarin
Same as the version in the Cook book that came with her 50s gas cooker

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:33 pm

How did people make breadcrumbs before food processors? We had no modern day time-saving luxuries whatsoever, no electric kettle (whistling one on hob), no electric mixer (just one of those manual whirry ones), not even a potato peeler or masher, a knife and fork used for those respectively.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Breadcrumbs could be made using a grater, as recommended by Mrs Benton
Mum preferred the use of child labour, I sort of rubbed it between my fingers (for fresh) - dried were of course just bashed with the rolling pin

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox