Register

Buffet advice needed!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Buffet advice needed!

Postby Linnet » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:05 pm

Mini toad-in-the-hole as Joan suggested, or just mini yorkshires with a bit of rare roast beef in the top, don't think any of the saus I've come across in France would be small enough!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:03 pm

You can twist sausages to make them any size ou like and cocktail sausages work too.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Well it’s been and gone. In the end I made Mary Berry’s mini sausage and caremalised pasties. I think I must explain further. Our little Cumbrian town is twinned with this little town on Lozere and this is Twinning week which is in France this year. Last night was the Celebration Evening. A I’m here a lot I felt I should contribute something.
Essentially it was what we call in the UK a pot luck supper. If I’m honest I don’t think the food was any better than a good traditional Cumbrian-one- lots of cold pizza and cold quiches. My pasties were looked at in a puzzled yet kindly way but anyway they all went.
I wasn’t prepared for the rest. Aligot with sausages, followed by cheese and naturally bread and then coupetade. Genuine Auvergne regional food. What some people can put away!
In conclusion I must bring my beloved Canapés book over next time and allow even further for that French suspicion,
Thank you all of you for your help.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Had to laugh when I Googled "Coupetade english recipe", (as when you just put in "coupetade" all the results are in French). It somehow came up with Toad in the Hole, doubly intriguing as Joan had suggested mini Toads earlier!

Postby cherrytree » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Some of us made the coupetade in the afternoon in the Lycee Agricole in town and funnily enough somebody tried to explain to the rather stern but kindly gentleman who was teaching us all about toad in the hole!
Coupetade is very similar to our bread and butter pudding, minus the butter but with prunes. I think it’s heavier than bread and butter pudding though.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:20 pm

or as it would translate into French "Crapaud dans le trou"

I adore aligote Cherrytree but by heavens it takes some elbow grease to make.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 pm

Glad to hear you held your own, cherrytree, although it sounds like it's not much easier for the French to make inspiring cold bites either...

Mind you, now the weather's colder, thinking hot food more easily springs to mind.

In hindsight, I'm wondering if a mayo potato salad with ham, or equiv new potato halves salad with EVOO and sos pieces would have hit the mark or fallen flat? Logic being that bites don't have integral salad.

Postby cherrytree » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:12 pm

I’m not sure about the salad ideas either. I think that I was surprised at how unimaginative so much was. Never mind, the entertainment as the aligot in two enormous bins was wheeled on made up for it all. I do make aligot in Cumbria sometimes; I bring the tomme fraiche back and keep it in the freezer. As is customary I get any men around to do the stirring.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox