Register

Buffet advice needed!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Buffet advice needed!

Postby cherrytree » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:03 pm

I am back in Lozere but primarily this time for our ‘Twinning Week’. I have just been talking to one of the French organisers and I have offered to make something savoury for the grand buffet on Thursday evening. Claire thought something like pizza might be nice but as a proud Englishwoman I’m not going there. So, Joan who lives here in France or anyone else who understands the French attitude to British cuisine, please can you suggest some sort of finger food or anything else uncomplicated to eat that will be delicious and impressive? I’m not afraid of a challenge! Thanks.

Re: Buffet advice needed!

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:27 pm

veg samosas or onion bhajis? - they're almost 'british dishes, now, aren't they?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:47 pm

I know it is sacrilege when you've asked for British options, but if I wanted to give them something different, in light of the fact that Chicken Tikka is regarded as a national dish, I'd go for a mix of samosas, onion bhaji and patata vada, with some tasty chutneys.

I'm pretty sure you won't go for that, but that's what I'd do! Some I made earlier...

EDIT Crossed with your post Scullion, while I was doing the pix!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:04 pm

vol au vents - :gonzo

cheese straws
cheese twists
sausage rolls

smoked salmon (if you can get it) and cream cheese open sandwiches = I always do these for visitors to studio art events

mini pasties

mini pittas with spicy chicken and mint raita

savoury muffins - cheese

coronation chicken open sandwiches

scotch eggs

Postby Amyw » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:53 pm

I saw this recently in Sainsbury’s mag and thought it looked very Attractive https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/re ... ghmans-pie.

Also https://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/ho ... aised-pie/ Always look impressive

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Steer clear of anything vaguely curried. They just don't get it.
Things that have gone down well here :

Mini Cornish pasties
Mini Scotch eggs made with quails' eggs
Squares of leek and ham pastry - that went down really well here. It's a North Country recipeand is simply a tray bake. Line a Swiss roll tin with shortcrust add parboiled sliced leeks and chopped cooked ham. Season and add a couple of beaten eggs to hold the filling. Add a lid on top and glaze then bake.
Mini toad in the hole
Tartlets filled with scrambled agg and Scottish smoked salmon
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Didn't your cheese scones go down a storm at an event in the summer?
Will it be the same people?

Postby Binky » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:54 pm

I second onion bhajis. Super easy to make, and no need to be curried if that doesn't suit native taste. Served with cucumber yogurt and mango chutney, they will be scarfed down by an appreciative audience.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:50 pm

Binky I'm afraid it probably wouldn't. You have no ides how conservative the, especcially rural, French can be about food. If Cherrytree doesn't have mango chutney then she won't be able to get any. Chutney is a relatively new concept in France and then only in higher end restaurants.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:52 pm

Given that the French are very conservative,given that they do not eat anything curried and given that you want to do something vaguely British, I might suggest:
1) Sausage rolls - mix in some extra sage and rosemary to the sausage stuffing. Serve with piccalilli blended to a smooth sauce.
2) Angels on horseback
3) Pork skewers OR black pudding with apple sauce ( or apple chutney if you want to be adventurous)
4) beer-battered fish with yoghurt, cucumber and dill
5) Pureed beetroot, goat cheese and lentil croustades
6) Welsh rarebit
7) Mini Cornish pasties

Postby Binky » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:45 pm

that's a great list.

I made sausage rolls today for the first time ever. Shop bought puff pastry, spread with caramelised onion relish and then rolled up with sausages inside. 25 minutes at 200 degrees. We had them for a quick lunch (slow cooker beef for dinner).

The rural French need to be tempted into trying something new.If you can't do it with your skills joan, there's no hope for them.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 am

Binky wrote:t
The rural French need to be tempted into trying something new.If you can't do it with your skills joan, there's no hope for them.

Well those in our village are learning but it has taken years! The things I suggested to Cherrytree have all been tried and tested on our local and I am proud to say that each Christmas lots actually ask for "Les petites tartes de Noel" or "Les Maince pees." for those who wish to try out their English. They also expect "Les petits Pains de Vendredi Saints" at Easter - hot cross buns. They also like marmalade, Yorkshre puddings, trifle and scones. I consider this not too bad for 29 years :lol: :lol:

I have to admit thought that they have taught me a great deal more and can eat and cook so many things that I didn't even know about. I am confident in foraging, not just for mushrooms, I can make fruit liqueurs, prepare and cook the more esoteric bits of animals and birds. Make delicious vegetable and fruit dishes form unlikely ingredients like cardoons, crognes and epautre.

I

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:32 pm

It ought to be easy to come up with English finger bites but I'm struggling. Ironically, I did a quick check of Delia online and all the suggestions were 'furrin' - whoda thunk it?

I'm thinking double crust tray bake or tartlets as already mentioned if British has to shine through.

There is a good mixed mushroom shortcrust tartlet, whereby they are sauteed with shallots, rosemary/thyme, cream and brandy. The brandy could be Anglicised to sherry. Not cheap though if to feed lots of peeps if mixed mushrooms are as expensive in France as they are here.

Would mini skewers suit? I don't know if truly British but certainly spit roasts were so ought to pass that test - if you can buy mini skewers. Maybe with a ginger glaze and interspersed with cherry toms?

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Little sticky sesame Chipolatas like these ... with or without cocktail sticks https://kitchenmason.com/sticky-teriyak ... ata-bites/

I defy anyone not to love them :yum

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:27 am

Are they as good cold as hot?

Postby scullion » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:21 am

cheese and pineapple hedgehog‽‽ (snigger)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:35 am

It’s really difficult, I assume that the food has to be made from local ingredients as not already taken from home, which pretty much rules out things like chipolatas

I like the idea of scotch eggs, especially mini ones or the pies, but also cheese straws because although OST French people like that kind of thing, few seem to make them

Postby Suffs » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:17 pm

jeral wrote:Are they as good cold as hot?

I think so :yum :thumbsup

Postby cherrytree » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:52 pm

I’m just endorsing what Joan says about getting stuff here. I’ve checked in our local massive HyperU and there are no British specialities here at all. Quite correctly as there is no call for Marmite, chutney, Branston Pickle or Salad ream, it isn’t stocked. If we go south and call in at the Montpellier hypers there isn’t much either, but if we go past Pezenas where the British go for their holidays there’s loads.
I’m not complaining one bit- it’s rather nice being in such a quiet spot.

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Still struggling here...
How many "bites" are you expecting to need?

What about loaded potato skin halves?
Very tasty if made with the fluffy inner of the spud and strong cheese mixed in, grilled to brown with bitties of frazzled bacon (or French equivalent of bacon) on top.

Field or portobello mushrooms piled up or stuffed sitting on a French baguette slice, garlic rubbed, as a compromise? Ditto big stuffed toms topped with garlic crumb?

If you can get either a proper bag or disposable piping bags, stuffing individual items is easier that spooning in.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox