Register

How do you cook these buns?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

How do you cook these buns?

Postby Binky » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:37 pm

Vegetarian buns, bought at local Asian supermarket. I imagined there would be some cooking instructions but no - the back of the pack has ingredients only, listed in ten languages.

Going by the front, do you think I should steam them for 7-10 minutes? They are frozen, so should I defrost first? What about using a microwave? Any ideas gratefully received

Re: How do you cook these buns?

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 pm

I'd defrost & steam those Binky - cooking from frozen you'd never be sure the filling was cooked/warmed thro' properly since they're quite thick.

Postby Binky » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:14 pm

This is the finished dinner: Singapore Noodles with Quorn, vegetarian spring rolls and steam buns. Delicious!

(did the steam buns for 12 minutes to be sure. Piping hot inside when pulled open).

Imagefree picture upload

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:04 pm

I have had similar buns from Iceland and successfully cooked from frozen in my microwave veg steamer

How were they?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:25 am

I have had similar buns from Iceland

I didn´t know they made steamed buns in Iceland, I thought it was all fermented shark! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(´Salright, Sue, I was just leaving anyway :gonzo :gonzo )

Postby Binky » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:23 am

I did the buns in a standard s/s steamer. I took one out after 10 minutes to check the filling was done (it was) and left the rest in the steamer with the lid on. They came out when the rest of the meal was done (not a long wait, maybe 5 minutes for the spring rolls to become crispier).

The taste of the bun was very good, lots of mushroom in there I think. The texture of the bun was interesting too, very chewy and like a sort of light airy bread. I was expecting a filo pastry taste or something similar.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:27 am

I made some from scratch when I was working my way through the Fuchsia Dunlop book (back in the Beeb days), and although it was a long time ago I don't remember it being particularly difficult, although I bought special extremely white Chinese dumpling flour back then.

I remember very well that in the final rundown I used Sunflower's photos for the actual filling of them, although I can't find the photos. Will have to give them a try with normal flour, but I suspect they'll look more cream coloured than white.

Dug out one of Sunflower's recipes, and she uses ordinary flour, and they don't look much different in colour. I'll post a summary of Fuchsia's recipe later.

http://sunflower-recipes.blogspot.com/2 ... -roux.html

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:29 pm

Well I made 10 buns using cheapo flour, and they're great!

It really is as simple as making normal bread - 250g flour made 10.

With a generous pork, shiitake and onion filling, they worked out at £1.25 for 10. The one on the bottom is pre-steaming, to show how much they expand, although they started off even smaller, as that one had started to rise while the others were steaming. The only thing I regret is using more of my MSGish chilli bean paste, as that MSG taste still cut through a bit too much.

I'm going to freeze some, and see how they fare.

Postby Binky » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:02 pm

You rotten devil.

Your buns make mine look pathetically puny.

:crying1

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:09 pm

Those look good sakkarin

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:12 pm

Binky wrote:Your buns make mine look pathetically puny

The recipe said use 40g of dough to make ten or 20g of dough to make twenty, but I figured it would be too much work doing the weeny ones!

For the record, I had 300g of filling, and used a 12 cake tin to hold my pre-measured 30g portions in readiness for filling, which made it easier than I remember last time, faffing about in between shaping each bun. I pre-measured all the (40g) dough pieces too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 pm

I am a convert to the US methos of using a portioner (ice cream scoop, disher) to divide up filling etc.. It can be a bit of a faff if you do it the first time though

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:55 pm

To an extent I usually do (vital for my identically sized 125g rolls!), the brainwave this time for me was to use the cake tray, which was perfectly sized for the 30g filling portions. I'll have to bear it in mind next time I make mince pies - fortunately I have two cake tins, so can use another for the actual pies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:41 pm

UPDATE:
Just reconstituted one I froze earlier. I gave it 1 minute 10 seconds defrost in the microwave (as per when I defrost a normal bread roll), then 5 minutes in a steamer, and it was fine. I think you could probably get away with just 4 minutes steam, I'll try another one tomorrow.

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE:

No, it needs the 5 minutes, a 4 minute steam left it a bit cold in the centre.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 pm

For my latest batch of bread yesterday, I used the dough from one roll (125g) to make these two steamed buns. This is not two separate batches, I made enough dough for six 125g portions, baked five and steamed the remaining portion divided into two buns. 45p flour, so all the buns/rolls you can see cost 7.5p altogether - 4.5p's worth of flour, 3p's worth of yeast.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:09 pm

Look great Sakkarin

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Ta Sue. The rolls always turn out pretty well, but I've not managed to recreate those really crusty ones I made the other day, although I've had a couple of tries mucking around with trays in the oven :-(

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox