Register

Lunch for a house guest who's flight time has been changed

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Lunch for a house guest who's flight time has been chang

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:05 pm

Surely a good host would want his/her guests to be comfortable though. Surely any reasonable cook ought to be able to come up with something that avoids known dislikes. Although in this case, Joanbunting and OH have their own dislikes they wish to avoid so a touch more complicated.

The brain is funny though; it's the "Don't think of a big white horse" syndrome whereby that's all you can think of! A food item is the same. If I say "No cheese" I'll bet a quid that people will immediately think of with a dozen dishes that include it.

PS: Cross-posted with karadekoolaid, so no reference to curry intended.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:41 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:as long as the curry is not wildly overspiced

In my experience, to a curryphobic the slightest hint that a chilli* has been anywhere near it is "overspiced" :-(

* or any other asian spice for that matter...

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:11 pm

There’s a lot to be said for a well-made macaroni cheese :yum

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Firstly it's not a friend it's my S-I-L :lol: She has been fussy all her life and her partner is even worse. We discovered a while ago that a lot of things they say they don't like they have never even tried. I actually feel sorry for her having to take a flight which is so much later than she intended and yet couldn't change the booking so I want to send her off with a meal she will enjoy and keep her going until late at night when she has to get from Manchester to Deepest Derbyshire.

Neither M or I have eaten a curry or cooked one for her. I too was encouraged to eat what was on my plate and , apart from coconut which is a genuine allergy I will eat just about anything to be polite so will M. As he says he spent 8 years in an all boys boarding school in the 50s there is a difference between eating something and enjoying it!

I am almost settled on a tagine, especially as we can get so many North African goodies in the market on Saturday and she can help choose some and perhaps take some pastries back for her partner.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:04 pm

A tagine sounds lovely :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:47 am

Joan: my sister is exactly the same, so I feel for you. She´s just off to India for the third time, and will only eat omelette and chips ( " because they don´t know how to make a roast"... :crying1 )
Still, it´s always a challenge to find something they WILL eat, isn´t it? :gonzo

Postby dennispc » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:13 am

You're such a kind person, if you've put up with them all these years you deserve a gold star.

People who go abroad declaring they don't like foreign food I find irritating.

As kids we ate what we were given, no doubt because there was nothing else. My dislike of parsnips I put down to Mum making us 'banana' sandwiches, using them when bananas were not available. But if we're visiting and parsnips are in the dish given to me, I'll give 'em a go.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:08 pm

We once had a really fussy vegetarian eater at the house. That was bad enough, but then we took him to the beach. I warned him that most of the food there was fish :o :o
His diet consisted of pizza and pasta with tomato sauce. One day I ordered a salad which had palm hearts and avocado. He took one look and said " I don´t think I´m going to like that..." :crying1 :crying1
I took him to the supermarket, got him to buy a pound of cheese and a loaf and said " Next time, you can bring your own sandwiches" :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:13 pm

I hope it was vegetarian cheese :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:42 pm

What did you cook in the end Joan ?

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:56 pm

It's not until next Saturday Amy - how are you anyway?

I'm going for a tagine and her to choose the rest of the meal from the North African section of the market

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Ah sorry Joan, I misread . Yes I'm doing really well actually. Hardly any pain now and dressings have come off fine. Pleasantly surprised. I do think part of its down to attitude. I was strict with myself that I was going to have a couple of days where I could feel sorry for myself and rest, then I was going to get up and about and start moving .

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox