Register

Lunch for a house guest who's flight time has been changed

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Lunch for a house guest who's flight time has been changed

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 pm

M's sister is visiting next week for a few days but her flight times have een altered.

I had all the meals carefully planned because she is a very very fussy eater. So now I have to make an extra lunch which is going to have to be substantial enough to last her until quite late at night.

I really need inspiration, but no cute animals, no eggs other than yolks absolutely no offal and no smelly or goats cheese

I've already planned a fish pie, wild mushroom risotto, duck confit and sarladaise potatoes and the little local ravioli. We have planned 2 meals out one at our friends restaurant and a lunch at a very nice place up the valley with gorgeous views.

Over to you :thumbsup
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Re: Lunch for a house guest who's flight time has been chang

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Going back to basics, carbs are the most filling and sustaining, although this assumes the capacity to eat a big plateful.

A stodgy cake or pud with custard might suit, e.g. sticky toffee or oaty topped crumble, or those wonderful bought pattisiere items you mention sometimes.
Or one your you posh possets with lots of shortcake or amaretti biscuits.

Thinking grains, what do you normally serve with cous cous?

A lentil and/or bean & sausage stew of some sort?

Steak and mushroom pastry pie with roast spuds and gravy? Or bourguignon, stiffado with good ol' YPs or roast chicken/pork dinner with usual extras.

Right now, I could eat all those. Must be tea time.

Postby scullion » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:26 pm

actually, i'm pretty sure that protein staves off hunger longer than carbs do and doesn't give a hypoglycaemic dip. also, soup keeps you feeling fuller longer.
i would go for a very cheesy cauliflower cheese type of thing or something like a lemony, yoghurty, saffron chicken with a middle eastern salad - or something equally high in protein - or a hearty lentil soup with grated cheese on top.

Postby Binky » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:40 pm

We have a relative staying and have a similar problem.

I made a red pepper hummous, and a pot of carrot and coriander soup, with lots of sourdough bread. There were cheese and crackers in case rellie was still in need of sustenance (a cyclist). We also had a pannetonne that was a nice light finish with a cup of tea.

It was hardly any effort and was enjoyed by all.

Postby Suffs » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:45 pm

A quiche and salad ... with a baked potato if more is needed?

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:56 pm

Yes, there was a programme that showed that if dinner was blitzed into soup it kept people feeling full for longer. (I think the science is that an empty stomach gives off hunger signals but it takes longer for a stomach to figure out how to dissemble blitzed components in order to deal with them.)

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Here is the problem. Cauliflower is an absolute no no. The cheese is a problem if it tastes in the least bit foreign it will not be appreciated.

I am very naughtily thinking of pieds and paquets from the butchers. She wants to go with M to the market on Saturday morning !
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Does wanting to visit the market suggest that a buffet of bites would work? Bites can be a lot of work to make, so what about a typical ham or chicken or salmon (whatever) cold plate spread with filling potato salad - and a bowl of crisps ;)

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:36 am

Does she eat Indian food?

Postby Linnet » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:52 am

You could always just ask her if there is a particular thing she would like, or like to try, before leaving you, then the onus is on her.

is a good idea - unless of course

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

KK she does eat Indian food - well certain dishes and I had considered a buttered chicken. However M says he doesn't like curries at lunchtime and he also wondered about travelling on a curry is a good idea?

Still on the spicy theme I am thinking a chicken tagine with preserved lemons and olives served with a fruity cous cous. They could get some Moroccan flat bread in the market and maybe some pastries too.

Last thought is a soupe au pistou. It would be the last of the year. I would have to get the vegetables earlier in the week because there wouldn't be time to make it after the market

Jeral you serve cous cous as a grain with things - like the tagine. What they call a cous cous in North Africais is usually a cous cous garni this can be anything from vegetables, meat or fish or a combination. It really is a dish for a crowd

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:54 am

I am NOT a particularly fussy eater, and I'm not entirely happy with preserved lemons!

I had some thoughts, but they tended to be stodgy British food, and it struck me that if somebody was visiting you in France, then surely it should be French fare. If you feel they will be OK with fruit, how about Normandy chicken?

Or a full-sized Gougere of some description.

And a gorgeous Apple and Frangipane tart to follow. Oh dear, thats Normandy Tart, is that apple and Normandy overkill?

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:39 pm

I'd probably go for a nice bowl of soup with some crusty bread and maybe something naughty from the patisserie after. Soupe pistou sounds good or a leek and potato, though that maybe just what I fancy.

Soups nice and digestible before a flight and I always think homemade soup is that xtra effort like baking a cake rather than just buying it in

Postby Renee » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:04 pm

I made a lovely pork with prunes casserole some time ago. The prunes can be cut up, so she might not realise that they are prunes! I really loved it

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:53 pm

She would detect the prunes in an instant and she's not keen on pork either - not as bad as lamb but it is meat. She used to be vegetarian and seems to be heading in that direction again.

Frangipane tarte would be another no-no. She doesn't like almondy things. I had considered doing a local speciality - almondine-for a dessert but M remembered she doesn't do almonds - or walnuts. The odd thing is her mother would eat just about anything - except eggs. She used to beg me to cook rabbit, offal, lamb etc whenever she came here. The smellier the cheese the better and she was never known to refuse another glass of red! She had S-I-L 15 years after M was born and she is the only girl so was spoilt rotten by her father.. Families :roll: :roll: :roll:

Perhaps Poulet Provencale with saffron rice?

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:24 pm

how about strychnine stew with a side of arsenic?!
does she realise how difficult she makes it for her hosts - or doesn't she get invited out much‽‽‽

ps i am joking ......

Postby miss mouse » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 pm

[quote="scullion"]how about strychnine stew with a side of arsenic?!

That is what I would be tempted to cook/prepare.

A jam sandwich perhaps if Rats is feeling kindly disposed.

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:37 am

I am thankful for my late parents who taught me to eat whatever my hosts were kind enough to offer me, and to thank them nicely for it. I was very fortunate. ;)

Joan’s friend must be very good company indeed :D

Postby miss mouse » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:46 am

Suffs wrote:I am thankful for my late parents who taught me to eat whatever my hosts were kind enough to offer me, and to thank them nicely for it. I was very fortunate. ;)

Exactly. Refusing food politely was OK as well. Saying 'I don't like it' was not OK, a tricky path to tread.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:53 pm

he also wondered about travelling on a curry is a good idea?

I don´t see why not, as long as the curry is not wildly overspiced or laced with copious amounts of cream!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox