Register

Chopping an onion

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chopping an onion

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Learning to sharpen properly is on my bucket list too :-(

I gave up - I invested in a Knife Wizard electrical sharpener

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:27 pm

I have tried the teaspoon in the mouth, plus chopping the onion under water, plus wearing glasses.
None makes a ha'porth of difference :roll:

Postby chihuahua8 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:29 pm

How about contact lenses? (tongue in cheek!), works for me!

JeanT

Postby patpoyntz » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Yes, contact lenses work...I only wear one now, so I only have one streaming eye when chopping onions!

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Contact lens is odd as it assumes the cornea must be the vulnerable bit of the eye which seems unlikely. Just sayin'.

Mind you, if it works don't knock it eh?

Postby Renee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:28 pm

I saw a pair of goggles in the food department of a garden centre to wear when chopping onions. Maybe I should have bought a pair!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/onion-glasses/ ... on+glasses

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Having worn contact lenses for 40 years maybe they just make your eyes a bit less sensitive?

Postby Renee » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:08 am

I believe that they do, from what I read yesterday.

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 am

I normally always wear contact lenses and never suffer any problems with chopping onions . When I wear glasses, I sob like a baby though . The putting end of a wooden spoon in my mouth seems to help though

Postby Binky » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:59 pm

We have a Cook's Candle made by Price. It's years old, I don't know of they are still available. I used to use it when chopping onions, but not for a long time, but I think it worked (although I find it depends on the variety of onion; red ones never cause tears).

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:56 pm

I always have a cooks candle to hand. I get them from Lakeland

I find the most tear inducing things are shallots.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:12 pm

Here's a link to the one from Lakeland (I get mine there too) https://www.lakeland.co.uk/9288/Prices- ... efs-Candle
They also do Chef's tealights https://www.lakeland.co.uk/24867/10-Chef%27s-Tealights

Postby chihuahua8 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:08 pm

Well there's a thing! I'm gob-smacked that so many people had the same experience as me when chopping onions while wearing contact lenses. I've worn the things for over 50 years, can't at the moment so a lot of eye-mopping going on. I actually posted my comment expecting disbelieve.

JeanT

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:52 pm

I had one of the Cook’s candles. I didn’t like it - as far as I could tell it did nothing to reduce or neutralise the pongs (which, to be honest, doesn’t seem a likely outcome chemically speaking) it just layers another fragrance on top, which I thought rather unpleasant.

I don’t mind a bit of onion smell - if you cook food, you expect the kitchen to smell of it. But I wouldn’t really want the currently fashionable all in one living space. I’d prefer a kitchen diner and separate sitting room. And would probably end up spending all my time in the kitchen, pongs and all :lol:

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:06 pm

Years ago they used to say that smokers' candles somehow sent the smoke up to the ceiling so the air seemed clearer. Maybe the plan is that fat or onion water particles get carried upwards by the candle heat (as heat rises)?

Postby Binky » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:42 pm

My mother bought smokers candles when on holiday in Austria (this was in the 1980s and they weren't available here in the UK). Needless to say, they were decorative but didn't work.

The current fad for open plan living does not appeal to me. I like a separate kitchen with efficient extractor fan, a separate dining room, and a separate lounge area where you can relax after dinner with a drink and no cooking smells.

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Agree Binky - I much prefer separate kitchen, dining room and lounge.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:04 am

I'm all for separate rooms, but on the understanding that it would also have to have a kitchen large enough to have breakfast in. In my current situation (I have a fairly small kitchen), I'd open out the dining/kitchen area into one if money was no object. But then if money was no object then there'd be a zillion other options! EDIT: have to add that I absolutely hate the idea of fully open plan.

Back to the subject, I had an omelette for breakfast, and chopped a couple of small shallots into 3mm dice, using the method we all agree is the best. Precision cutting, right up to the root and no tears. I guess I'm better at cutting shallots than onions! I remember a friend's French wife using that method for chopping garlic - weeny, weeny little cuts along, down and across, ending up with 1mm dice. I occasionally try that, but am not patient enough, a bash with the side of the knoife to crush the husk off, and then a random chopping action until it's about the size I want.

Postby Binky » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:25 am

Chopping garlic? That's why the garlic press was invented. One of the most used tools in my drawer, apart from veggie peeler and wooden spoon. :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:30 am

Definitely not a fan of the open plan kitchen which all my neighbours have done - there is very little individuality, very much painting by numbers - & they echo!! Fortunately, my kitchen is at the end of the hallway where I can close the door & keep all invaders out & most cooking smells in, but then again I don't mind the smell of food cooking, only if it strongly lurks around the next day - that's when I burn citronella oil which soon sorts it out. A simmering saucepan of vinegar does the same.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox