Register

Chopping an onion

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Chopping an onion

Postby Binky » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:28 pm

it sounds easy, but it isn't in practice.

I've watched Jamie and others quickly cut up an onion whilst talking to the camera; if I took my eyes off for a couple of seconds, there would be blood....

I see that many places offer cookery lessons for the day, or even a week abroad, but all I want to learn is a cutting skill - maybe a lesson under an hour.

Does such a thing exist?

Re: Chopping an onion

Postby Amyw » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Have a look on YouTube for some tutorials

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Cut the onion in half, across the section where the root is (was). Place the onion flat on the cutting board, and with a SHARP knife, cut thin slices, from the top to the root, without actually severing the onion completely. Then turn the onion around, and slice - the onion will fall away in little tiny cubes.https://www.google.com/search?q=gordon+ramsay+how+to+chop+onion&oq=gordon+ramsay+how+to+chop+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.7704j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_KOmhXYnYHIXB-gTBv63IBA17

Postby Binky » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Ooh-er, he cuts towards himself (his hand for sure) with a sharp knife. I thought that was verboten?

I've done my onion chopping for today, amateur as it was, but will try again tomorrow.

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:24 pm

I use a large knife with deep blade (chef's knife?) that, when cutting from the top, should slide down both finger joints on all fingers, keeping finger tips and nails tucked inwards, so only the central part of the fingers can ever be in contact with the blade. Or if cutting horizontally, flat palm on top.

My point is that I wouldn't dare use a small lightweight veg knife for any of the slicing I do. One exception is if cutting through fork prongs used to hold small items.

By the way, think precision, definitely not speed.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:09 pm

I am rubbish at chopping onions.
I have to do it as quickly as possible to minimise the sore eyes so I generally make a devil of a mess.

I have tried everything to minimise the tears.
The only thing that works is someone else doing the chopping.

Even standing too close to the trimmings will make my eyes stream.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:30 pm

I think the two most important things to remember are always cut in half and then proceed with the cut side down so it won't slip.

Curve the fingers of the non-cutting hand and always keep the knife flat against the knuckles - no fingers in the way.

Sharp and heavy knife vital as Jeral says.

To stop watering eyes make sure the transparent sking under the dry skin is removed before cutting. If all else fails by some goggles.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Ha!

I haven't mentioned my way of cutting an onion, as I know how it SHOULD be done, but am embarrassed to admit that I don't cut across all the way to the root, but cheat on the last section and use a haphazard diagonal motion. Just watched the Ramsay video, and it made me feel a lot better, as that's what he does too! Although I don't slice mine quite as finely as he does...

Postby miss mouse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:27 pm

I use a mandolin. Does that mean that I will be drummed out of the FBRC?

Top Tip, use the finger guard. Another Top Tip, remember the oven glove when removing hot stuff from under the grill.

Not that I would ever forget either of these things of course.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:55 pm

The Ramsay video is exactly how I do it.

Funny how people making these videos always have to add a bit of a myth -surely the obvious reason for leaving the root intact is that it holds the layers together, if they slip and slide over each other then you end up with messy dice and even cut fingers. Why the need to say it’s for some silly old wives tale? :?

Postby mark111757 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Postby dennispc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:20 am

Binky, I remember watching GR looking at camera whilst he finely chopped some herbs. You just need a bit more practice. :D

My method for onions is similar to most, though I slice the top off to get a firm base on the board, quick swill with water and cut in half and remove skin. Then slice as GR.

As someone who used to cry a lot, I found wetting the onion first helped. Apparently whatever is released when chopping seeks out water and the nearest is in our eyes. No, I didn't believe it but it works for me.

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm

I've also heard that rinsing the peeled onion helps to reduce the effects. Tried it - it worked to an extent for me.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:11 pm

As the tears are caused by a spray of juice that contains some of those weird sulphur based chemicals in onions that subsequently diffuse in the air, I would think the layer of water would to some extent provide a physical barrier, the spray would just merge into it instead of getting towards your eyes and nose.

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:52 pm

After the initial slicing, I close my eyes as much as possible when I'm doing the chopping. It does help.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:26 pm

Putting a stainless steel teaspoon in your mouth & holding it there is meant to help - you look weird, but it does help to a point - don't ask me why!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Renee wrote:I close my eyes as much as possible when I'm doing the chopping

Is that how you got the nickname "Six and a Half Fingers Renee", Renee?

Postby Renee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Ha ha Sakkarin!!!

It does work well actually as I have very sensitive eyes. There's no risk of cutting fingers when just chopping! I just open my eyes to bring it all together! :lol: :lol:

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:33 pm

I've always fancied a Chinese chopper as you really would have to be daft to get your fingers under one of those. The problem is that there are differently honed ones and of course all knives go blunt. Every now and then I read up on how to use my oil stone and one day I'll become an ace sharpener.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Learning to sharpen properly is on my bucket list too :-(

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox