Register

Delicious UK magazine

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Delicious UK magazine

Postby mark111757 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 pm

A nice write up in the October issue of saint Delia.

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/

Nothing new from what I read but still nice.

Site Admin

Re: Delicious UK magazine

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 pm

That link just leads to a generic front page, Mark. This is the closest I could find to the actual article, I presume this is not it in full...

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/del ... -magazine/

I'm not sure if I really wanted to know that Jamish O'Liver kisses Delia's photo every morning...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Interesting reading her Wiki Page.

I've got three of the first four books she wrote, however two of them were fairly recently acquired, just to check out her early work, whereas I've had her Evening Standard cookbook for years, and frequently refer to it.

Anyway, apparently this famous cake was baked by her, can anyone think of a more famous cake?

There's a Beatles connection too, as Peter Blake who designed the original Sgt Pepper album cover included Delia in his 80th birthday reimagining of the cover, with his personal selection of celebrities.

Postby mark111757 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:49 pm

You are right, I don't think I read down far enough. This was a plug for this

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/dine-with-delia/

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:29 am

Not a very inspiring menu considering they've had 50 years to sort it out! Mind you she has been responsible for some horrors over the years, alongside the triumphs.

I didn't realise she had a self-named restuarant - had it not have been in the context of the article, and I'd discovered the place on a high street somewhere, I would have assumed it was a greek restaurant, with the accent on the "i" (i.e pronounced "delly-ass"), as the signwriter's forgotten to put the apostrophe in...

Or someone's nicked it, and now has Delia's apostrophe on their mantelpiece. Possibly a greengrocer.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:43 pm

But Delia is neither a chef nor a restaurateur. She is also 78 years old

She was a teacher, a consultant, a journalist. She chooses to pump a lot of her profits into Norwich Football Club which is her life’s passion, as do Stephen Fry and Galton Blakiston. Other people are in charge of this menu, she just lends her name to it. And why not? Makes more money for her beloved club for a start.

It is naive to think she has very much to do with it. And what is the market here? Delicious is a pretty run of the mill publication. I subscribe to two magazines who hold this sort of do at The Savoy and The Ritz respectively. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:04 pm

But she clearly IS a restaurateur! And of course whatever else she is, she is also an INSTITUTION, which trounces anything else, OBE, CBE and Companion of Honour (CH) notwithstanding. Three trips to Buckingham Palace, almost eligible for a season ticket.

https://www.deliascanarycatering.co.uk/ ... /home.aspx

EDIT: Oh no, she's not, I see she retired from the role when she hit 70, so you're right, it's Delia's in name only.

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Re Delias (sic), the lady has never aspired to be known for fine dining, only "safe" ways of cooking good food. I'm guessing that Delia has had far fewer complaints than many chefs that her recipe(s) didn't work. If so, that's an achievement worthy of its own honour award in my book.

Just pondering, is there a current Delia or Jamie Oliver who inspires young people or cooking newcomers to cook as they each did?

PS: It was Ready Steady Cook that got my son interested. The 15 mins was the right attention-span time that youngsters have and the transformation "Wow" element to go with it. Bring it back I say.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:14 pm

I wonder how it went ?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:16 pm

It is coming back Jeral.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ore-timely

Delia taught me to cook, Nigella gave my tired old cooking a good kicking about 25 years later.

Jamie Oliver inspired my lot, especially elder son. My daughters too but they prefer blooming Gino da Campo.

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Glad to hear that Pepper Pig - hopefully RSC will inspire anew, especially if on at the same tea time for school goers to watch.

I don't mind Gino; he's a sort of parody of himself. He wouldn't have struck me as inspiring which shows what I know if he has inspired your girls so speed to his heels.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:28 pm

It was Madhur Jaffrey and Ken Hom that inspired me!

Delia was more of a benevolent old auntie, the programmes aimed at people who couldn't cook, and certainly not aimed at anyone whose aspirations were for anything vaguely exotic. If I wanted a traditional recipe I had the Marguerite Patten 1000 recipes and the Dairy Cookbook.

EDIT As for today, the TV is full of contenders for the next generation's educators, just none that appeal to me right now. Now if Mamta or Sunflower had TV programmes...

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Ah yes, Sakkarin, but you're not a school leaver now and what we need are vibrant chefs (young or old) who appeal to those who will soon have some say in the shopping and have independent use of saucepans etc.

There's not much that juniors aged 10-12 can do except natter at mum/dad, e.g. "that looks easy enough". There's even less that primary school children can do, currently in the news.

Of course we have the internet now which kids are glued to. Maybe there should be a C Beebies (or adult) equivalent competition of "Find three ways to cook sprouts that aren't soggy and smelly. Time starts now...".

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:42 pm

They have some good kids cookery programmes on CBBC and others. Allegra McEvedy does one, can't remember who else.

For uni age people I'd recommend Simon Rimmer on Sunday Brunch. He always has hip young guests too.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:22 pm

jeral wrote:
Of course we have the internet now which kids are glued to. Maybe there should be a C Beebies (or adult) equivalent competition of "Find three ways to cook sprouts that aren't soggy and smelly. Time starts now...".

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/fo ... 12886.html

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox