Register

“No mash” fishcakes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

“No mash” fishcakes

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi all , I quite fancy making some fishcakes , but I don’t like mashed potato . I was thinking of maybe substituting then in a recipe with sweet potato , though I’d bake the sweet potato and scoop the middles out. Soggy boiled sweet potatoes are good for no one !!

Does anyone have any recipes not involving mashed spud ?

Re: “No mash” fishcakes

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Sweet potato might well work, but if you remember the recent discussion of croquettes, those are usually held together with a little bit of very thick béchamel, and I think that would work. Fish cakes are really flat croquettes aren’t they?

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Only problem (and I know I’m an awkward bugger! :D ) is I follow a gluten free diet . I suppose I just need to spread my wings a bit and experiment with gluten substitutes. I’ve just been avoiding anything containing gluten such as pasta and bread , and not tried any gluten free baking yet either

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:02 pm

Hmm, forgot you are now gluten free

You might even get away with that cornflour based easy white sauce, with plenty of flavouring. PerhPaps with an egg yolk to improve the adhesion?

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:44 pm

I simply can't see fish cakes made with anything other than mashed potato but if you onlu use a small amount in proportion to the fish then perhaps you could tolerate it. Otherwise how about mixing the barely cooked fish with grated raw potato and bind it with egg before egging and breadcrumbing it? I make crab cakes like that and they are very nice. If you don't want breadcrumbs then just fry spoonsful as it is.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Otterspocket » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:57 pm

Thai style fishcakes are usually just fish whizzed into a paste and then whatever herbs / spices you want. Something like cous cous might work as a binder too (hydrated first)

Postby Otterspocket » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:11 pm

Some nice sounding recipes using cooked rice too - I’d imagine they would have a lovely crust so no need for any crumbs

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:16 pm

Otterspocket wrote:Thai style fishcakes are usually just fish whizzed into a paste and then whatever herbs / spices you want. Something like cous cous might work as a binder too (hydrated first)

Cous cous is made from wheat though.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby DEB » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Postby DEB » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Postby scullion » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 pm

as i'm not a fish eater (yeuk), i've never made them but what about something like this - i'm sure you could tone down the spices if you preferred them a bit plainer - or adjust them to other tastes.

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Although not keen on crab (I’m a nightmare I know !!) could easily sub with flaked fish . I do like the idea of Thai fishcakes too if anyone’s got a tried and tested recipe?

Sounds stupid but I didn’t realise cornflour was gluten free !! Useful to know and the cornflour bechamel looks quite straightforward , I imagine they’d be nice comfort food

Postby Otterspocket » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:25 am

Joanbunting wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:Thai style fishcakes are usually just fish whizzed into a paste and then whatever herbs / spices you want. Something like cous cous might work as a binder too (hydrated first)

Cous cous is made from wheat though.

Ah I just read the original post which didn’t mention the gluten free part so thought potatoes were the only issue.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:00 pm

There are other , starchy root vegetables around which would provide enough bind to keep the fishcakes together. Yams and taro root especially. Yeah, I know - a bit esoteric!
Another thought (which would undoubtedly work, but would also change the flavour) would be chickpeas, chickpea flour, or mung beans.

Sue´s suggestion of a Spanish croquette mixture is sure to work, and will probably provide the best option.

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:33 pm

I thought of veggie patties that I like that might convert to fishcakes. (No spud.)

For white fish, try cauliflower. Recipe here:
https://skintcooking.wordpress.com/2018 ... nt-page-1/
I'd probably add a spot of turmeric and cumin.

Also for white fish, here's a brown rice one:
https://www.lovefood.com/recipes/59802/ ... kes-recipe

For salmon, several are made with breadcrumbs. This is a very basic recipe which one can play with:
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/11548/be ... cakes.aspx

For gluten-free, buy the cheapest g-f loaf you can find and blitz it for crumbs but only gently as g-f falls apart anyway.

Such g-f crumbs can also be used for coating, which is good for patties where veg at the surface will burn quickly.

For dusting flour, rice flour is best as it doesn't have an uncooked wheat floury taste, or mixed g-f flour like Doves, or gram (besan) flour.

I find the trick with patties that don't stick together very well is to make them small and a bit steeper, and never cook on a grid they could disintegrate through. Freezing rather than fridge-ing for half an hour is worthwhile too.

Someone mentioned the all-blitzed method. Here's a salmon one that I haven't tried but will:
https://www.kikkoman.co.uk/recipes/all/ ... fishcakes/

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox