Register

Snackmasters-kit kat

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Snackmasters-kit kat

Postby mark111757 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:16 pm

....In the first episode, Daniel Clifford from Cambridge’s Midsummer House and Vivek Singh from Westminster’s Cinnamon Club compete to create a KitKat from scratch, with the results judged by the assembly-line workers and bosses who make the real thing......

Tuesday nights at 915pm UK time, also on the download circuit after airing on channel 4

Re: Snackmasters-kit kat

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:04 pm

I've just watched it, as a pleasant change from politics ha ha. Very interesting, although I was doing something else at the same time as it'd struggle to hold my attention on its own for an hour.

Whether one would be glued to the screen until the result of two top chefs' competing efforts is judged or give up as Who cares? is debatable.

If they select Maltesers, I'll be glued as I saw a prog showing how they made the perfectly spherical balls. Duplicating those? No chance.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:32 pm

I’m not sure I see the point of using chefs to duplicate a factory made snack

I’d rather see them try to produce something different that could subsequently be mass produced to improve the offering.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 pm

I watched it even though I find Sirieux extremely tiresome (it was on a few days ago, I still have it on Tivo). Half of it reminded me of the "Food Factory" series, which takes you through all those manufacturing processes very matter-of-factly, and the other half I was reminded of Heston Blumenthal's programmes, and didn't he make an enormous chocolate bar at some stage?

I thought it was a horrific cheat telling chef B that chef A had got a professional mould made, and I presume chef A must have seen "Food Factory" too, as I can't believe he came up with the idea of using crushed Kitkat for the filling out of the blue.

I agree it's a bit of a waste of a two-star chef.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:20 pm

Channel 4 at its worst. The programme was panned by the press.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:02 am

DS mentioned that I might enjoy it - sorry I thought it was a waste of time too.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Episode 2 was even worse than episode 1 :-(

It was utterly stupid, as they theoretically had 1.5 hours to recreate the snack (Monster Munch) iin the factory, however the winner was allowed to pre-prepare all his snacks, as they required many hours in a dehydrator (creating something akin to an uncooked prawn cracker which just required a final fry, but was absolutely NOT the way proper monster munch are made), whereas the loser, who did it the right way with an extruding machine, only had the alloted time.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Reading that the next programme will feature the chefs "recreating" a Burger King Whopper and fries has prompted me to remove the series link on this.

What utter tosh.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:13 pm

My Sky box recorded it anyway, so I fast-forwarded to the final judgement, and it was absolutely the tosh I thought it would be. Switched off halfway through the second evaluation. Dearie me.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm horrified to see that this dirge has been nominated for a BAFTA. I wonder how that happened, are there nasturtiums to be cast?

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:43 pm

Was the nomination submitted on 1st April perchance, being the only even vaguely likely justification for it.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox