Register

Smoothie tasted 'fishy'

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Smoothie tasted 'fishy'

Postby Binky » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 am

We have a fruity smoothie every morning, using a mixture of fresh and frozen fruit.

This morning, it tasted as though there was cod liver oil in the mix.

The only difference is that we have used a different supermarket for our frozen mango chunks. Could the variety of mango have made such a difference? I couldn't drink mine as the smell and taste was so strong....

Re: Smoothie tasted 'fishy'

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:43 am

I suspect it’s both a different variety of mango and that it’s underripe

Some varieties are quite unpleasant when underripe imo

Thaw a chunk and see if it is is as soft and sweet as it should be?

Postby Binky » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:37 pm

The whole bag smells vile. I don't know why my husband didn't pick up on this when he was making the smoothies - it's like fruit and cod liver oil blended together. Horrible. :vomit

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:46 pm

I've tried twice to use frozen mango cubes. The first tasted off to both of us so I bought a fresh bag and it was the same, both were used immediately after purchase.

The first bag meant wasting all the other ingredients, so luckily I was wary of the second.

Tinned ones (branded) are reliable IMO so I've gone back to using those.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:14 pm

I think I must be one of the few people who doesn't care for mango. I find it very soapy in taste.

My favourite fruit is passion fruit though! : :yum :yum :yum :yum

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:27 pm

You have to be in the mood for mango, as it has that odd side taste. When I froze that mango pulp some time back, it wasn't something I went to automatically when I fancied a fruit hit, but when I was in the right mood it was great.

Mind you, when you can get it, green mango is more reliable - shame it seems to have disappeared from the local shops as I love home made mango chutney.

Curiously they had green papaya in my "curry leaves" shop last week. It's too expensive though. Mind you so are the curry leaves at £1 for about 30 leaves, although I think that's because their import is still banned, but they are a vital ingredient in my coconut rice recipe.

EDIT: I just realised I need to elaborate - I'm talking about the mango we get here, which has probably been treated dismally on its journey, and like most exotic fruit here cannot really compare with fresh fruit in its country of origin. I am reminded of seeing "ripe and ready to eat" mangoes for just 59p in Tesco yesterday, which clearly were neither ripe nor ready to eat.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:14 pm

A fresh mango is a truly marvellous thing - as long as it hasn´t been sitting in a container lorry for 3 weeks. The only frozen mango I use is when the mango is green. I don´t bother freezing ripe mango.
When I first came to Venezuela, I was taken aback by the depth of flavour a REAL mango ( as opposed to one which has been exported !) tasted like. the same with pineapple - those effete little greenish things in Sainsburys are nowhere close to the huge, juicy monsters we pick up locally.

If I were you, Binky, I´d change fruit!

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:06 pm

kK is absolutely right. I only once tasted frozen mango - never again. Those of us who have been lucky enough to taste the real thing straight from the tree find it very hard to like any others. Even the ripest fruit you can get in Europe are mere shadows. I refuse to buy very expensive ones that have been air freighted. That's not to say I don't live in hope and buy one from time to time. I usually end up baking them as a hedgehog with chilli flakes and rum :oops:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:27 pm

Fishy tasting smoothies do not sound great !! Try tinned mango as an alternative. I like the taste of mango but not very keen on the texture of it, so don't tend to buy them

Postby Rainbow » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:49 am

karadekoolaid wrote:A fresh mango is a truly marvellous thing - as long as it hasn´t been sitting in a container lorry for 3 weeks. The only frozen mango I use is when the mango is green. I don´t bother freezing ripe mango.
When I first came to Venezuela, I was taken aback by the depth of flavour a REAL mango ( as opposed to one which has been exported !) tasted like. the same with pineapple - those effete little greenish things in Sainsburys are nowhere close to the huge, juicy monsters we pick up locally.

If I were you, Binky, I´d change fruit!

I agree KK, fresh mango is lovely and there are plenty here in Australia!! I don't think I ever had one in England so I don't know how bad they are :lol: and I've never tried them frozen or tinned.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:48 pm

I tried two exotic fruits when I was still a nipper. Guavas and Lychees. When I tasted the real thing, some 20 years later, I was amazed at the difference; and swore never to use the tinned versions again.

Postby Otterspocket » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:00 pm

We use a lot of frozen mango - usually from Lidl but even that varies in taste and quality

Not sure who loves it more , me or the dog - often share a bowl of frozen mango while watching a movie as a less naughty option

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:54 pm

My healthy snack whilst watching TV on the sofa is small frozen prawns. I doubt they'd make a good breakfast smoothie though ;)

Postby Rainbow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:06 am

jeral wrote:My healthy snack whilst watching TV on the sofa is small frozen prawns. I doubt they'd make a good breakfast smoothie though ;)

Well, at least you'd know why it tasted fishy :lol:

Postby Otterspocket » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:14 pm

jeral wrote:My healthy snack whilst watching TV on the sofa is small frozen prawns. I doubt they'd make a good breakfast smoothie though ;)

Hubbie likes those ‘crab sticks’ but I often have a bowl of pink shrimps that I sit and peel and eat - takes me back to childhood when dad would bring a boiling home. Best place to get them now is Ikea , which reminds me I need a visit to stock up.

On a watermelon thing at the moment again shared with the dog

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox